[Peace Cup] JUVENTUS 0-0 (3-4) Aston Villa, August 2nd 2009 (1 Viewer)

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
This tournament was one huge + for us in general.

First of all, we've seen that the world class players we bought are indeed world class and both of them make our team much better. Diego played only 60 minutes and if i'm not wrong, they didn't play together at the same time, but nonetheless in the little time they played, Diego has shown that he's one sick little genius that every CL winning team needs, and we didn't have till now, while Felipe Melo is so complete and perfect at what he does.

Another great positive is the three men central midfield and how well Camo and Tiago fit in there. The injuries, the long ball tactics etc, took a lot from Camo and what he does the best. This new formation, with these new players that know how to play the ball, gives Camo an opportunity to show himself in the best light possible.
Tiago too looks different player when it's not a 4-4-2 in which his movement is limited and he needs to think about defending more than attacking.

Someone said that our attackers suck. No, of course not. Everyone said less than a year ago that we have the best attackers.
Against Villa they did suck, but with 4 very good strikers, you'll always have at least 1 of them in top form to score the goals. Two years ago Trez was scoring like crazy for more than half a season, while Ale was average. Then Del Piero started scoring the goals while Trez was average.
Last year we had Amauri for the first half of the season, Iaquinta for the last 10-12 matches and Ale in the meantime.
Without much service, or any at all, in the last two years we once had the best attack in the league and once close to the best attack in the league.
Now with much better service, one of our attackers will always score a lot of goals.

The defense also did surprisingly well. Even Canna-Chiellini is getting better and better with every new match.
Zebina was very good again, as he's always when he's fit for a longer period (people mostly remember him in bad light from the Arsenal match in 2006, but they all forget that on that match he just came back after months of being injured). Attacking full back, just as we need in this formation, but also strong in the air in the defense.

Now we have few unanswered questions.
How will Sissoko fit in this formation?
What about the LB position?

Perhaps the following friendlies will give an answer, a positive one, to these questions.

God save our players from injuries, and i can safely guarantee you that we're up for a fantastic season.

:tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I have a question for you. Do you think that our forwards function better when there is less service? I mean during the clueless build ups and long balls our attackers were there to make the difference. Can it be that lots of service and ball movement might affect their performance? In a way that they will not be able to position themselves where they are needed most?
I was thinking the same
when we had a team that was barely able to create our attackers took full advantage of it and were very effective
now that we have a team that can create most evidently at the Juve-Villa match our strikers had trouble hitting the ball to the net
I hope it is just coincidence but it is kinda weird

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I have a question for you. Do you think that our forwards function better when there is less service? I mean during the clueless build ups and long balls our attackers were there to make the difference. Can it be that lots of service and ball movement might affect their performance? In a way that they will not be able to position themselves where they are needed most?
No, i'm sure that's not the case.
Being so effective with less service shows nothing else but quality. And when having such quality you can do even better when there is more service.

I know what you're asking here. You wonder if our attackers will lose from their effectivness, now when the ball will be played more on the ground and when they'll have to move more and be part of the build up.
But i doubt it will be the case. One of our attackers will still be able to play old-style Juve, because Del Piero, Diego, Camo etc are enough to do the rest of the job and distribute the ball to the target man.
As you could see even on this tournament, our strikers are still good enough to do what was one of our main qualities in the last two years, scoring from set pieces, after crosses.

It's a little premature to say (as Orgut here did) that our strikers have problems hitting the ball to the net. I mean, it was only one single match against Villa yesterday when that happened, and even here we created more than enough chances. The same kind of chances we used to create in the last two years.
It was just a coincidence that Trez and Iaquinta couldn't bury those chances. It was a bad day. It had nothing to do with the tactics.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I think its a question of timing due to the different styles, I understand what Jack means even if one shouldnt draw drastic conclusions. They had a bad day in scoring, that in itself isnt due to the system. But what might be is, if the attackers are used to quick breaks, and I mean really quick ones like we were used under Ranieri, were we barely had the ball in midfield, and countered with long balls or quick through balls in matters of seconds (if it didnt, work, let the opposition have the ball, and do it all over again).

In this kinda scenario, the attackers would mainly get the ball on their first or 2nd off the ball movements (not exactly, but mean get the ball or pass quickly, fail or success) and runs behind the defence, or in the box. Now in with this more patient possession based football, they might not get the ball with their first or 2nd runs, and have to adjust and wait, find new positions and so on, and also get involved in the build up. Its more creative, but more patient, not just pass or cross at the first sign of the strikers moving, and requires of them to constantly try to re-position themselves off the ball (Trez in particular was very confused with this, Iaquinta bit better at it, but constantly had to move around when the midfield are calmly passing around).

Dont want to draw too much of conclusions either, and they will adjust quickly enough prolly, but this is the main difference I noticed, not them being less or more effective, but that they will adjust when they are used to quick counters of 3-4 passes or a simple basic go the wing and cross to them immediately. This midfield wont just hoof or pass the ball at first opportunity possible, so requires more patient movement from them a bit.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I think its a question of timing due to the different styles, I understand what Jack means even if one shouldnt draw drastic conclusions. They had a bad day in scoring, that in itself isnt due to the system. But what might be is, if the attackers are used to quick breaks, and I mean really quick ones like we were used under Ranieri, were we barely had the ball in midfield, and countered with long balls or quick through balls in matters of seconds (if it didnt, work, let the opposition have the ball, and do it all over again).

In this kinda scenario, the attackers would mainly get the ball on their first or 2nd off the ball movements (not exactly, but mean get the ball or pass quickly, fail or success) and runs behind the defence, or in the box. Now in with this more patient possession based football, they might not get the ball with their first or 2nd runs, and have to adjust and wait, find new positions and so on, and also get involved in the build up. Its more creative, but more patient, not just pass or cross at the first sign of the strikers moving, and requires of them to constantly try to re-position themselves off the ball (Trez in particular was very confused with this, Iaquinta bit better at it, but constantly had to move around when the midfield are calmly passing around).

Dont want to draw too much of conclusions either, and they will adjust quickly enough prolly, but this is the main difference I noticed, not them being less or more effective, but that they will adjust when they are used to quick counters of 3-4 passes or a simple basic go the wing and cross to them immediately. This midfield wont just hoof or pass the ball at first opportunity possible, so requires more patient movement from them a bit.
That's exactly what I meant and I didn't base my question on last night's match nor was I drawing conclusions. I just wandered if different positioning and movement might affect them. And I am not under-estimating the abilities our forwards have but how good are they in adapting to the new style? Personally I think if someone, more than others, would be affected negatively by this it would be Amauri.

Why Amauri? Because I don't think he was ever playing such an approach in his top level experiences.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I think the strikers nailed the positioning quite well yesterday. It was just the awful finishing which can be attributed to fitness, psychological reasons or just an off day. Ale & Trez played with Zidane so they should rediscover their touch soon.

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
I think the strikers nailed the positioning quite well yesterday. It was just the awful finishing which can be attributed to fitness, psychological reasons or just an off day. Ale & Trez played with Zidane so they should rediscover their touch soon.
It wasn't just the finishing though...they just looked lost sometimes...missing simple passes and even not being able to control certain balls....I had never seen Trezeguet play so badly in all his time at Juve...he seemed like a Serie B player with extra weight on him.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
It wasn't just the finishing though...they just looked lost sometimes...missing simple passes and even not being able to control certain balls....I had never seen Trezeguet play so badly in all his time at Juve...he seemed like a Serie B player with extra weight on him.
It's pre-season & he came back from surgery so it is totally understandable.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Nice to hear that Trez confirmed his position at the club after the match, and made it clear to both Ciro, as well as the team, that he is fully committed to the club for the following season.

I'm sure it made a huge difference for him that Ciro allowed him to play the extended minutes against Villa, despite the fact that he clearly wasn't on top of his game.

With his head in the right place, Trez can attack his conditioning, as well as his adjustment to the new system. Can't wait for the season to start!

El Santo

El Enmascarado de Plata
Nov 26, 2008
Now we have few unanswered questions.
How will Sissoko fit in this formation?
What about the LB position?

Perhaps the following friendlies will give an answer, a positive one, to these questions.

God save our players from injuries, and i can safely guarantee you that we're up for a fantastic season.
I think thats the number one question everybody should be asking. Sissoko has only played in 4 4 2 formation, never in a 3 man midfield. Hopefully the new tactics will not effect his abilities. :shifty:

Dam right it was probably Psychological. you see Iaquinta when he was about to take his penalty. the guy was shitting it already like he already had his mind made up that the goalkeeper was going to block his shot.:agree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)