Pavel Nedved (12 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Nedved at his peak (2002-2003) was the best player in the world. Something Totti has never been at any stage of his career.

And let's not even compare the titles they've won at club level. Totti has a World Cup, that he won largely due to the Juventus and Milan players of that Italian team.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Nedved at his peak (2002-2003) was the best player in the world. Something Totti has never been at any stage of his career.

And let's not even compare the titles they've won at club level. Totti has a World Cup, that he won largely due to the Juventus and Milan players of that Italian team.
Neddy won the Golden Ball...something Totti never has or ever will.

It's one thing to win a tournament where the team is the result of the trophy but the Ballon d'Or essentially singles out the individual as the best in Europe.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Nedved also helped lead Lazio to a UEFA Cup Winner's Cup, and a UEFA Super Cup, alongside the Serie A title and Two Coppa Italias. Lazio won the double (Serie A and Coppa Italia) in 2000. So in 5 years at mid-level club like Lazio, Nedved won more trophies than Totti has in his entire career at Roma. Add what he won at Juventus, including the Ballon D'Or and how he performed in Europe and it's not even close. Nedved is miles above Totti.

Internationally. Nedved has 18 goals for the Czech Republic to Totti's 9 for Italy. Totti's highlight of his international career was converting a dubious penalty against Australia in 06. Aside from that, his goals for Italy have been against minnow clubs, and none in the knockout stages of a major tournament. The guy chokes when the lights are bright.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
These are dangerous arguments to make.

By bringing up trophies won you leave yourself open to claims that Busquets is one of the best players ever.

By bringing up the Ballon d'Or you are implicitly agreeing with who it is awarded to ever year.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

By bringing up trophies won you leave yourself open to claims that Busquets is one of the best players ever.

By bringing up the Ballon d'Or you are implicitly agreeing with who it is awarded to ever year.
Bring one single argument for Totti ever winning a Ballon D'Or in any year of his career?

Now, tell me who was more deserving of the Ballon D'Or in 2003 than Nedved?

Totti has been a failure for Roma in Champion's League and Europa League for that matter. His European stats are padded by the year he scored 10 goals in 4 Europa League qualifying matches against the most pathetic teams in Europe.

He's also been a failure for the Italian NT for much of his career.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I have no interest in individual awards.

I'm not going to get into an argument about how good a player Totti is because there is even less chance of people being reasonable about it in the current climate than there usually is.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He's a great player. Anyone who would say otherwise is crazy. And he's certainly on the same level of Nedved and perhaps Del Piero in terms of talent and skill and individual achievements. The level being that just below all-time greats like Platini, Ronaldo, Beckenbauer, Maldini, Van Basten, Romario, Maradona, Pele, Zoff, and so on.

So the only way to separate such players on a similar level, if one has the desire to do so, is with what they achieved with their teams. And Nedved and Del Piero certainly achieved far more. Perhaps Totti is just like Di Natale and would have failed miserably at a big club? Perhaps he would have succeeded. He chose not to take on that challenge, so we'll never know. But this puts him slightly below players like Nedved and DP in my eyes.

am0110

Jun 5, 2005

So what should we bring up?

I am tired of excuses like "Totti choose to stay at Roma so he won less", who can be sure that he would not flop at bigger stage with much more competition? Nedved and Del Piero also refuse to go and chose Serie B and Serie A with Iaquintas and Grygera's, wasting years of their careers while they could have gone to, at that time, much stronger clubs.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I find that watching players is the most effective way of judging their ability.

Weird, I know.
Greatness shouldn't be measured on just ability, but on performances and accomplishments as well. That's why there are debates about who's better between Nesta and Cannavaro, or if Riquelme is really that good?

Totti is way more talented than Nedved, but Nedved was the better player, imo

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Greatness shouldn't be measured on just ability, but on performances and accomplishments as well. That's why there are debates about who's better between Nesta and Cannavaro, or if Riquelme is really that good?

Totti is way more talented than Nedved, but Nedved was the better player, imo
Sure, I didn't mean to phrase it as narrowly as I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)