Paulo Dybala (357 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I think it is fair to say that Dybala cant use his right foot and he still has a way to go before he is WC, but bad first touch, cant drible, no accelaration? Are you watching the same player as I am? I mean what the $#@!.
Ya I'm not really understanding that either.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Left footed players rarely can use their right foot, even when they do it looks so unnatural. ( Robben, Maradona, Rivaldo, R.Carlos, Van Persie, Di Maria......)

So that not a problem imo, his weak frame and lack of strength is the real problem imo.

soccerr9

Oct 5, 2015
Negatives:
[B]- not an explosive player;
- not very strong to hold on the ball;

- doesn't really beat his man often on driblle or acceleration/pace;[/B]
- huge reliance of left foot, something that limits his performance a lot;
- not a great finisher due to no use of right foot.
It's hard for me to watch his performance against Bolognia and Sevilla and walk away with the impression that he can't beat a man or lacks acceleration/pace. The Bolognia video of all his touches (there is one of him vs Sevilla) show how he creates by dribbling either past players or sucking them in which opens up space for an incisive pass.

See here (you will find his Sevilla video as well on that channel).

See 20 seconds
Also see in the third minute on the pass to Cuadrado. 3/4 Bolognia players get sucked into covering him which opened up the space in behind. Zaza's goal vs Sevilla was a result of Dybala settling a difficult ball, beating one person, and then slipping a pass over to Zaza before getting tackled by a 2nd Sevilla player. Zaza is able to run alone on goal because Dybala eliminated two defenders on the play.

Throughout these last two matches you will notice how well he keeps possession since he so often essentially becomes an offensive midfielder by drifting into pockets of space between lines. He is excellent in doing that. What I agree with is that he isn't strong enough to hold up the ball when he receives an aerial pass or is posted up with a CB on his back. That is understandable and shouldn't be his job. Morata's better at this obviously due to his strength.

With that said, I do agree that he relies a lot on his left foot. The same was said of Messi. When your one foot is that good and you play in a balanced formation then this isn't as much a problem at all.

As for his lack of scoring, with Morata moving from the top left to the center of the formation as a true CF, Dybala moves into the midfield. In this partnership, he isn't really a striker but a supporter/offensive mid. When Dybala plays as a lone striker, he has shown to be a good finisher. He isn't asked to do that right now and his duties as a creator are more important given the scoring form Morata is in. Plus, Allegri wanted a trequartista and he got Dybala and Cuadrado as creative outlets instead. Not bad!

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
People confuse pace with acceleration way too often. Dybala is exceptionally quick off the mark with his first step, his acceleration to his top speed is excellent, but the end result, that top speed is rather mediocre.

Players can be very explosive without having top end speed and Dybala is a perfect example of this. All one has to do is watch his gameplay, especially with Palermo last year, and I'm sure we see more and more of it as this season progresses here and he starts to fit in better.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
I don't get it, 90% of right footed players out there rarely use their left and no one ever mentions that, but people lose their minds when a leftie can't use his right foot.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
People confuse pace with acceleration way too often. Dybala is exceptionally quick off the mark with his first step, his acceleration to his top speed is excellent, but the end result, that top speed is rather mediocre.

Players can be very explosive without having top end speed and Dybala is a perfect example of this. All one has to do is watch his gameplay, especially with Palermo last year, and I'm sure we see more and more of it as this season progresses here and he starts to fit in better.
Acceleration is more important than straight line pace anyways. Basically every Spanish player except Navas is built like Dybala with great acceleration and agility and mediocre sprinting speed. The game of football is played in tight spaces.

I really have no concerns with Dybala's physical traits. The only thing he has to improve is his strength which will come in time since he's so young.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Acceleration is more important than straight line pace anyways. Basically every Spanish player except Navas is built like Dybala with great acceleration and agility and mediocre sprinting speed. The game of football is played in tight spaces.

I really have no concerns with Dybala's physical traits. The only thing he has to improve is his strength which will come in time since he's so young.
:tup:

The obsession with pace makes it sound like some people want a team of Gervinho's and Salah's...

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

I think you just described pretty well why Dybala on the wing would neuter him :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

In the center, his pace is good enough, and his acceleration can make the difference. So there really is not an issue with Dybala.

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:

Look how fast Krasic was and it lead him nowhere. Quick burst of speed in tight spaces si where the damage is
On the wing you also kinda need to have some pace, cause else unless you are an inverted winger, you wont be very effective

Krasic had excellent physical qualities. But limited ball controll and technique, and no dribbeling to make use of that. He'll kick it and run behind it. Good when you have space, useless when you dont

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
Why dont we give this guy at least half a season before we make any judgments. The whole team is still looking for its identity, its style, it is only logical that we are not seeing his full potential. Things will change for the better. Once we get our midfield sorted out with the return of Marchisio and fully fit Khedira and Assa.....

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I think it is fair to say that Dybala cant use his right foot and he still has a way to go before he is WC, but bad first touch, cant drible, no accelaration? Are you watching the same player as I am? I mean what the fuck.
Lol exactly. His first touch is silky smooth, his dribbling skills are great (though hasn't shown it so much for us so far compared to his Palermo days) and he is quick off the mark with good acceleration. All beyond doubt.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Why dont we give this guy at least half a season before we make any judgments. The whole team is still looking for its identity, its style, it is only logical that we are not seeing his full potential. Things will change for the better. Once we get our midfield sorted out with the return of Marchisio and fully fit Khedira and Assa.....
I might be too positive cause i like him, but in this ragged bunch of misfits that started the season, he was already a bright light.

One can only imagine what will come when the team is sorted out like you said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 333)