Paulo Dybala (364 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
I don't know, his lack of strenght worries me. He also isn't explosive to make up for it. I think he'd be bullied yesterday by City's defense had he played from the beginning.

The ideal scene would be Dybala-Cuadrado-Morata upfront, but honestly, I'm not sure Dybala has what it takes yet. Gotta see more of him. He's very skilled and intelligent, but the inability to use his right feet makes him kind of predictable and he has no phyisicality, wether it's strength or acceleration.
I actually dont think that he lacks strenght. Obviusly he does not have the strength of Mandzucic or Morata but he has that low center of gravity and he is pretty good at protecting the ball for a guy his size.

Buy on AliExpress.com

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
He's not lacking in strength at all. Relative to giant CFs, sure... But he's actually incredibly strong on his feet because he runs with a very low centre of gravity, making him quite hard to knock off the ball. Hence the reason he was so good in tight spaces against physical Serie A defenders last year.

This whole "lack of strength" thing has been blown massively out of proportion. Part of it is his face. He looks like a teenager still. But his body isn't as slight as people are saying, and his lower body is very strong.

Calling him not explosive is silly too. He has exceptional acceleration and agility, he's very quick. He's a little lacking in top-end speed, but he's not really that type of player, and doesn't play that style of game. He plays a game that requires good acceleration, quick bursts of pace, and agility, and he has these things in spades. So yes, I would call him explosive. Just not fast.

And :rofl: at the guy saying he reminds him of Gio in the middle.

He played #9 all last season for Palermo and scored 13 goals and 10 assists. Gio was only good as WF for Parma, he never did anything all like Dybala playing as a striker. Dybala also has 3 goals in 250 minutes for Juve, playing in striker role.

So much nonsense about this guy. Watch him play. He has acceleration. He has agility. He runs with a low centre of gravity and is hard to knock off the ball. He's nowhere near as easily bullied as people are suggesting. And seriously get a grip if you think he's anything like Gio. :sergio:
Did not read your post before posting. Nice read, totally agree. I thought Gio played CF for Parma though?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Did not read your post before posting. Nice read, totally agree. I thought Gio played CF for Parma though?
He played 3 positions that year. Left Wing Forward (4-3-3 formation), Attacking Mid (4-2-3-1 formation), and Support Striker (3-5-2 and 4-4-2 formations). Parma used a large number of formations that year. He looked quite good in all 4 of those positions surprisingly enough.

And then he came to the Juventus 3-5-2 where he was asked to often play with his back to goal under Conte, in a more ball-possession style 3-5-2. Parma's 3-5-2 in which he played SS, was a counterattacking 3-5-2, so it was entirely different and suited Gio.

Gio likely would have suited the SS role of Tevez last year, like the 3-5-2 we morphed into against Dortmund in the second leg, and played on the counter. That suits his strengths perfectly. Obviously nowhere near the player Tevez is, but he would have done much better.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
He played 3 positions that year. Left Wing Forward (4-3-3 formation), Attacking Mid (4-2-3-1 formation), and Support Striker (3-5-2 and 4-4-2 formations). Parma used a large number of formations that year. He looked quite good in all 4 of those positions surprisingly enough.

And then he came to the Juventus 3-5-2 where he was asked to often play with his back to goal under Conte, in a more ball-possession style 3-5-2. Parma's 3-5-2 in which he played SS, was a counterattacking 3-5-2, so it was entirely different and suited Gio.

Gio likely would have suited the SS role of Tevez last year, like the 3-5-2 we morphed into against Dortmund in the second leg, and played on the counter. That suits his strengths perfectly. Obviously nowhere near the player Tevez is, but he would have done much better.
I must admit I thought Gio was going to be the next big nr. 10 coming out of Italy when watching him for Parma and U21. He had a variaty of skills making him a very exiting prospect. Offcourse he had trouble playing with his back to the goal but his biggest problem was the mental part of the game. He just did not have the mental strenght to play for a club like Juventus. There is a lot of similarities between Dybala and Gio. The accelaration and close ball control. However Dybala is a lot stronger and he also seems to a lot stronger mentaly.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Not to mention Dybala being 13 cm taller. He's definitely not a midget. One of Gio's problems is that he doesn't run with a low centre of gravity, he runs quite upright, which is problematic when you're that small. Watching many of the top shorter players in the game, like Messi, Sanchez, and Verratti for example... They all have a very low centre of gravity, a lot of muscle in the lower body, and are very hard to put off the ball with physicality alone. Gio doesn't have that low centre of gravity, and he's much slighter in both lower and upper body.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
He's not lacking in strength at all. Relative to giant CFs, sure... But he's actually incredibly strong on his feet because he runs with a very low centre of gravity, making him quite hard to knock off the ball. Hence the reason he was so good in tight spaces against physical Serie A defenders last year.

This whole "lack of strength" thing has been blown massively out of proportion. Part of it is his face. He looks like a teenager still. But his body isn't as slight as people are saying, and his lower body is very strong.

Calling him not explosive is silly too. He has exceptional acceleration and agility, he's very quick. He's a little lacking in top-end speed, but he's not really that type of player, and doesn't play that style of game. He plays a game that requires good acceleration, quick bursts of pace, and agility, and he has these things in spades. So yes, I would call him explosive. Just not fast.

And :rofl: at the guy saying he reminds him of Gio in the middle.

He played #9 all last season for Palermo and scored 13 goals and 10 assists. Gio was only good as WF for Parma, he never did anything all like Dybala playing as a striker. Dybala also has 3 goals in 250 minutes for Juve, playing in striker role.

So much nonsense about this guy. Watch him play. He has acceleration. He has agility. He runs with a low centre of gravity and is hard to knock off the ball. He's nowhere near as easily bullied as people are suggesting. And seriously get a grip if you think he's anything like Gio. :sergio:
OK about strength then, and he does have great agility, but he definitely lacks acceleration. It's pretty average.

Mar 10, 2009
Both Mandzukic and Morata are proven big game players, especially in the CL. Unless Dybala can play just behind them, then it might be best that he doesn't start. It's more than likely that we won't have a full starting 11 this year, especially considering Allegri's tactical flexibillity, but we'll see.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Both Mandzukic and Morata are proven big game players, especially in the CL. Unless Dybala can play just behind them, then it might be best that he doesn't start. It's more than likely that we won't have a full starting 11 this year, especially considering Allegri's tactical flexibillity, but we'll see.
Depends on the matchup largely, against packed defenses I'd definitely start Dybala, perhaps ahead of Morata even, who's not doing too well with too many defenders packing the box imo. Mandzukic would still be very useful for headers and such.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
OK about strength then, and he does have great agility, but he definitely lacks acceleration. It's pretty average.
I think his acceleration is deceptive because he seriously lacks top-end speed. His first step is very quick, and he seems able to quickly accelerate and gain that space, before quicker defenders catch him with their speed. It's hard to say, I have to continue watching more and more of him. I wouldn't call it average though, the first few paces are very quick, and then maybe it drops to average.

It's interesting that not a lot of work goes into adding sprinting speed into a player like Dybala. I mean, there are only so many training hours in a day, but a good sprint training program could add 5-10% to his top end speed over a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the matchup largely, against packed defenses I'd definitely start Dybala, perhaps ahead of Morata even, who's not doing too well with too many defenders packing the box imo. Mandzukic would still be very useful for headers and such.
:tup:

Morata is by far our most useful forward playing on the counter. But he struggled last year against packed and organized defences in Serie A. Against teams that either took the play to us, or were at least more open and committed in going forward he was fantastic.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Dybala lacking acceleration? That's like saying Chiellini lacks aggression.
People are just trying to find reasons to criticize. It's ridiculous how pessimistic people are after this summer. I mean, criticize the shit parts, the players who have played poorly thus far... but some of the crazy stuff is silly.

As I said, I think people don't understand the difference between acceleration and speed... Dybala has a quick first step and good acceleration, but average top end speed.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:tup:

You're all over this place aren't you ?! :D
Never criticized this kid though. Love him. I think he's going to be a star here.

I still think the mercato was shit, mostly because it was so random... but you know, it's over and done with, so at this point I'm choosing to see the positives, and Dybala, Alex Sandro, and Cuadrado are pretty damn good positives. Possibly Lemina too. :D

Mr Chocolate

Rubba Band Business
Dec 23, 2012
Never criticized this kid though. Love him. I think he's going to be a star here.

I still think the mercato was shit, mostly because it was so random... but you know, it's over and done with, so at this point I'm choosing to see the positives, and Dybala, Alex Sandro, and Cuadrado are pretty damn good positives. Possibly Lemina too. :D
:agree: I think our signing were actually pretty good, I really like Dybala, and Cuadrado, I want to see more of Sandro before I make a judgement but I'm expecting good things, I also really like the Hernanes signing, even if it is just a short term solution, once he builds chemistry with the forwards he can be a real asset, we have seen him do some good things and get into good positions but not making a pass or being too slow to pass it, with more chemistry I think our signing will turn out to be good

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
So we have this 40m super talent that we just bought here and we can't seem to find him a proper position?
He's an SS but it looks to me that we're going away from that formation..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 345)