Patrick. Over the Hill? (2 Viewers)

Jul 5, 2005
m_elayyan said:
THE IRONY IS THAT VIERIA LEFT ARSENAL CAUSE HE WANTED TO WIN THE CL WITH JUVE , SINCE ARSENAL CANT DO IT , IF HE STAYED HE MIGHT WON IT WITH THEM THIS YEAR:rofl2:
No he loved so much Arsenal so he thought that if he leaves them they will win the CL because with him can not do that :D

Jul 5, 2005
simpson-juvefan said:
Yes if we would play like Barca or Milan teams who create chances i would say its possbile to turn the result around. But not with our style of play and this coach!
In Arsenal we played attacking football and you saw what happened. From the other hand Barcelona and Milan (and Arsenal i should say) played at first for keeping the 0 on defence and then they made counterattacks to make the goals.

Aug 26, 2003
so for you this was attacking football? We had 1 shot on the goal if i am correct and that was due to a mistake from an Arsenal player.

And i am talking about the return leg, i say if we are a team capable of creating many chances i see chances for qualification but not with our strategie and play!

Fabregas23

Mar 19, 2006
As an arsenal fan I can tell Vieira is a complete shadow of the guy that was running our midfield in the last 1990's and early 2000's. He is past it, by a quite a bit in fact.

Wenger got shot of him because Arsenal never could win the champions league with him. He was OUR midfield when he played, and that worked against EPL teams, but in europe he was clueless, like he was on tuesday. It is not obvious, but like Juve fans are realising now, what does he actually do? What is he bringing to the team?

Wenger was being diplomatic about the five year contract. Truth is he wanted Vieira gone and juve was stupid enough to pay 14 mill. Simple as that.

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
I hope he becomes a better player than he was with Arsenal, many players play their top of the game at this age, the age of 28-32

Fabregas23

Mar 19, 2006
snoop said:
I hope he becomes a better player than he was with Arsenal, many players play their top of the game at this age, the age of 28-32
considering he has been in gradual decline for the last three years, I very much doubt it. But hey, you never know.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I had high hopes before his arrival, I am sure Andy will confirm how we praised the transfer. He started pretty much well and I thought he can only get better. But with time it turned out that hsi partnership with Emerson is one dimensional, thus useless. He misht still be a good player with a different partner than puma.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
yeh im with jeeks...

but vieria and Emerosn (a brazilian that surprisingly doesnt play like one) are a very useless couple in attack

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Is The Grass Always Greener?

As Patrick Vieira trudged off the pitch on Tuesday night, which dressing room do you think he'd like to have been returning to? The former Arsenal captain, who'd graced the famous old stadium with such distinction for nine years, had just endured a miserable evening.

Dispossessed by the unaccustomed tenacity of his great friend Robert Pires, who played a blinder in Arsenal's epic Champions League Quarter-Final first-leg victory over Juventus, Vieira saw his error compounded as Pires found another pal, Thierry Henry, who played in the precocious Cesc Fabregas for the Gunners' psychologically devastasting first goal.

Last year Vieira had been the young Spaniard's mentor; now Cesc was bossing the midfield like a seasoned campaigner, pulling the strings, seeing the game in his head, as they say, and orchestrating his team's attacking movement.

Vieira had said before the game that the emotion of the occasion would not get to him. Yet he would not be human if he had not gone through a whole range of conflicting emotions on Tuesday.

Given a rousing reception from the Arsenal fans, he even incurred their wrath after a couple of trademark fouls, and finally got himself booked for a frustrated dig at Jose Reyes. The yellow card ensures his reunion with his old club will not continue next week in Turin.

Manager Arsene Wenger emphasised how much he still admired and respected Vieira, one of the world's great midfielders. But he also revealed that, when Juve came along in the summer with a fivve-year contract for Patrick, he could not justify trying to match it. It was time to move on. It was a tough call; Arsenal would inevitably miss a player of Vieira's stature, abiilty and presence. But Wenger had to consider the future. And on Tuesday, sadly, Viieira was made to look part of Arsenal's past as a vibrant young side ran Juve ragged.

In the build-up to the game, Vieira had said the main difference between the two clubs was the winning mentality in Turin: there was a hunger and an expectation at Juventus that highlighted their greater ambition and potential.

The evidence on Tuesday pointed to the complete opposite. A watching English audience found it remarkable that reigning Serie A champions Juve, eight points clear at the top as they close in on a second succesive and 29th overall Scudetto, could be so comprehensively out-thought and out-played by a team enduring a so-so domestic season who are struggling even to qualify for next year's Champions League - unless they win the trophy this time around.

But let's keep things in perspective. This was undoubtedly a bad day at the office for Fabio Capello, for Patrick Vieira and for the whole of the Juventus team. But all of them have enjoyed a great season, and have another chance to bury Arsenal next week - albeit without the suspended Vieira. Despite that, Patrick himself has repeatedly said he has no regrets about moving, that he needed, and is relishing, the new challenge.

Still, you can't help wondering if that conviction wavered a tad as his former team-mates celebrated a dazzling performance and resounding win.

And you can't help wondering either whether ex-Juve winger Thierry Henry would have thought Hey, maybe there's no need to move. Maybe I can achieve my ambitions with this team. Maybe the grass isn't always greener elsewhere, even in Barcelona.

Graham Lister
Goal.com

Jul 5, 2005
snoop said:
Vieira is not Zidan and it's uncertainly to be.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Dominic said:
We need a midfielder with pace, to complement Emerson's one lacking area of the game; lack of pace. An average player with speed would do compared to Emerson's parter right now(imagine if that player could even pass the ball with a little precision and had a little more grit!), as sadly Vieira complements Emerson in no area whatsoever. This leads into the very stale and one-dimensional centre midfield we are seeing now. That one-dimensional centre midfield leads to lack of movement, a lack of dynamicy and thus makes us very predictable and slow in midfield. One of the factors why we are so clueless in attack.
Exactly. Although a good passer is even more needed then pace. Nedved and Camoranesi are good players, but neither of them is a playmaker who can tear up the opponents' defense with through balls. Both Trezeguet and Ibrahimovic are at their best when they have some space to move in. Because the tempo of attack is too slow the moment their is no room for them to move into. This could be solved by either turning up the tempo, or to add a playmaker to central midfield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)