Paris attacks (7 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Come on, it would ahve been extremely hard to understand your original statements in any other way than how Seven did. You can say that those posts were poorly formulated and everything, and blame Seven for needlessingly making the thing personal, but if you look at what you wrote you have to admit that they can only really be understood in pretty much the way Seven did.

I don't even know where to start here.
Misunderstood, yes.

Lie, no.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Its pretty much a way to spread racist ideology in academically "sciency" terms. Pretty much just lipservice and better rhetorics to get home the same point. Double speak way to spread the "message" pretty much. In our old Uni we had a seminar around the subject, and what did you know, all the self-proclaimed racial realists were "former" skinheads in their youths and current academics who are far right extremists. All just a coincidence ofcourse.
Yep. Racial realism is no better than Nazi Eugenics. Another sham science that tries to demonstrate proof of racial superiorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Come on, it would ahve been extremely hard to understand your original statements in any other way than how Seven did. You can say that those posts were poorly formulated and everything, and blame Seven for needlessingly making the thing personal, but if you look at what you wrote you have to admit that they can only really be understood in pretty much the way Seven did.
I feel like people are jumping all over Cam for basically further explicating his position on the issue. It's pretty straightforward in my opinion, even if his initial statement made it seem different. People called him on that initial statement, which was a single sentence with like 5 words. I don't know, it seems a little rash to jump down someone's throat based upon those 5 words without first asking for further explanation. And his further explanation makes the original statement make sense, he wasn't lying or pulling a complete u-turn like some are suggesting.

I disagree with him, but I have no problem with how he went about explaining his position, which has been pretty consistent through the entire thread, even if that one post made it seem different.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Hacker collective Anonymous claims ISIS has plans for more attacks on Sunday

Anonymous, the loose collective of online activists, said Saturday it has uncovered information about Islamic State group attacks in Paris as well as on locations in the U.S., Indonesia, Italy and Lebanon, all apparently set for Sunday. OpParisIntel, a group within Anonymous, released a statement saying it had collected information about imminent attacks by the militant group -- aka Daesh, ISIL and ISIS -- on the French capital a little more than a week after a series of coordinated attacks there left 130 dead and hundreds injured.

Anonymous also said the Islamic State group is planning an assault at the WWE Survivor Series event scheduled to take place in the Philips Arena in Atlanta Sunday at 7.30 p.m., as well as attacks at multiple events in Paris.

The collective published the list of potential targets alongside a statement: "The goal is to make sure the whole world, or at least the people going to these events, know that there have been threats and that there is possibility of an attack to happen. Another goal is to make sure Daesh knows that the world knows and cancels the attacks, which will disorientate them for a while."

The targets listed by Anonymous are as follow:

Demonstration by Collectif du droit des femmes (Paris)
Cigales Electroniques with Vocodecks, RE-Play & Rawtor at Le Bizen (Paris)
Concrete Invites Drumcode: Adam Beyer, Alan Fitzpatrick, Joel Mull at Concrete (Paris)
Feast of Christ the King celebrations (Rome/Worldwide)
Al-Jihad, One Day Juz (Indonesia)
Five Finger Death Punch (Milan)
University Pastoral Day (Holy Spirit University of Kaslik, Lebanon)
"We only appeared now because our goal was to remain undercover and report everything to the right authorities and let them take all the action. But when authorities do not take action, Anonymous does. This part of the op started last Monday and has, and will be active 24 hours a day as long as the op is going on."

Speaking to International Business Times, the group behind the attack said it had passed proof to MI5, CIA, FBI and the Australian government but has no plans to release it publicly. "If we share the proof [publicly] everyone will start calling it fake because screenshots can be edited and accounts can be deleted. We have purposely not shared account links publicly because they would be shutdown immediatly and then no one would believe the proof."

Last week Anonymous declared war on ISIS and vowed to track it down online as part of Operation Paris (or OpParis) and has since released a guide for all those looking to take part in the operation, which already has identified tens of thousands of Twitter accounts it said are associated with ISIS while also taking some websites offline. ISIS has responded to the threat from Anonymous, warning of a reciprocal attack against the activist group.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/hac...ms-isis-has-plans-for-more-attacks-on-sunday/
They must hate WWE wrastlin as much as I do

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
We should treat advocates for Sharia how Iran and Saudi Arabia treat advocates for Secularism.
Poor Bangladesh gets none of the credit.

I'm not against only Muslims, I'm against all religions, you just need to realize that. After you are OK with that, then we can speak. I'm not a racist really. :)
Well you're against humanity then. Because religion isn't an on/off thing. It's a human creation, and it's innately in our DNA. So you can sit on your smug throne and throw potshots at religions saying you're superior and above all that. But the truth is that you have your own personal metaphysical beliefs in play. Perhaps they don't conform to some well known organized religion, but the truth is that same DNA is in you like every other human.

To believe you are somehow separate, superior, and above that is not only delusional, it's something you will never be able to escape as much as you pretend you can hide from that truth.

Putting political correctness aside, civil society needs to look at Islam and decide whether it even deserves the label of a religion. Given the number of hateful versus and insistence of converting all non-muslims to muslims and encouraging jihad and caliphates etc must put into question whether it is a religion or a cult. I suspect Islam is completely at odds with modern western secular democracies.

I have not read the quran so yes, I do plead ignorance here. However, I have come across numerous quotations from it and find them incredibly disturbing. the Old testament is no nursery rhyme either but I think they are on different levels. (FYI I grew up as a Catholic but now consider myself Agnostic)

If it attains cult status, then you can outlaw its teachings and close mosques.
That's just nonsensical troll bait. I ain't taking it.

I'm becoming more convinced that Muslims are becoming the social equivalent of gays. People who don't really have any gay acquaintances or accepted gays as family members (despite the obvious signs) will typically broad-brush them as perverted pedophiles and prey on children. Not enough people seem to actually have enough meaningful relationships with Muslims to notice the polar difference between some devout Muslims and the other Muslims who wish to behead them.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Putting political correctness aside, civil society needs to look at Islam and decide whether it even deserves the label of a religion. Given the number of hateful versus and insistence of converting all non-muslims to muslims and encouraging jihad and caliphates etc must put into question whether it is a religion or a cult. I suspect Islam is completely at odds with modern western secular democracies.

I have not read the quran so yes, I do plead ignorance here. However, I have come across numerous quotations from it and find them incredibly disturbing. the Old testament is no nursery rhyme either but I think they are on different levels. (FYI I grew up as a Catholic but now consider myself Agnostic)

If it attains cult status, then you can outlaw its teachings and close mosques.
Sure Islamic Jihad could be described as a cult. ISIS as an organisation have very cult-like characteristics in the way they recruit and retain their members. They're very good at demonizing the non-believing friends and family of new members to give one example. But wahhabism, Islamic Jihad etc. is only a branch of Islam that constitutes an extremist minority. Only fear can explain the backlash against Islam as a whole. How could anyone differentiate between a moderate Muslim and a suicide bomber in a busy metropolitan street? It's best we ostracize all Muslims just to be safe - So goes the logic of ultra-conservatives around the world at the moment. It's stating the obvious to say that implementing policies which marginalize Muslim communities in the west fits right into the radicals "us against them" narrative and fuels extremism.

To continue stating the obvious, this disease which is infecting major western cities in Europe and abroad is the bastard child of western imperialism. It's also born out of poor immigration settlement policy and a racist culture. I spent a year in Toulouse, France and the situation was stark but perplexing. Racism there extended almost solely to Arab migrants. Even I became bigoted towards them while living there. But like all over europe, they were a severely ghettoized people that didn't fully identify with the society in which they lived. It's hard to know what came first, the chicken or the egg? Whether allowing these modern ghettos to flourish on the outskirts of major cities in conjunction with a culture of unacceptance obstructed the integration process and adoption of western values, or perhaps Muslims are too tribal and steadfast in their culture for their own good and we really are witnessing a clash of civilisations.

Clash of civilizations or not, the situation in many european cities coinciding with western sponsored conflicts in the middle east is the perfect platform for the proliferation of Salafi Jihadism. It can't be undone. Decades of western meddling in Arab and other Muslim nations affairs is written into the history books. The division between communities in western cities (especially European ones) is deep seated.
You don't need to be Osama Bin Laden to make the correlation (justified or not) between what's going on in the Middle East and what's going on in many European neighborhoods. It gives further credence to the disillusionment of Muslim youth living in the west. The last thing we should be doing is pouring fuel on the inferno by rejecting them and justifying their grievances. It seems a touch idealistic and probably unattainable, but who knows, maybe we could do our bit in the west to reverse the problem by making these vulnerable young men and women part of our world. Easier said than done.

Sorry if that's all been said before on here but I've been sensing a lot of fear and misunderstanding or straight up unwillingness to acknowledge the root of this problem. It's all over commercial TV news here. Suddenly fear and ignorance is finding it's voice again but this phenomenon is more complex than they could ever bother to understand.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Sure Islamic Jihad could be described as a cult. ISIS as an organisation have very cult-like characteristics in the way they recruit and retain their members. They're very good at demonizing the non-believing friends and family of new members to give one example. But wahhabism, Islamic Jihad etc. is only a branch of Islam that constitutes an extremist minority. Only fear can explain the backlash against Islam as a whole. How could anyone differentiate between a moderate Muslim and a suicide bomber in a busy metropolitan street? It's best we ostracize all Muslims just to be safe - So goes the logic of ultra-conservatives around the world at the moment. It's stating the obvious to say that implementing policies which marginalize Muslim communities in the west fits right into the radicals "us against them" narrative and fuels extremism.

To continue stating the obvious, this disease which is infecting major western cities in Europe and abroad is the bastard child of western imperialism. It's also born out of poor immigration settlement policy and a racist culture. I spent a year in Toulouse, France and the situation was stark but perplexing. Racism there extended almost solely to Arab migrants. Even I became bigoted towards them while living there. But like all over europe, they were a severely ghettoized people that didn't fully identify with the society in which they lived. It's hard to know what came first, the chicken or the egg? Whether allowing these modern ghettos to flourish on the outskirts of major cities in conjunction with a culture of unacceptance obstructed the integration process and adoption of western values, or perhaps Muslims are too tribal and steadfast in their culture for their own good and we really are witnessing a clash of civilisations.

Clash of civilizations or not, the situation in many european cities coinciding with western sponsored conflicts in the middle east is the perfect platform for the proliferation of Salafi Jihadism. It can't be undone. Decades of western meddling in Arab and other Muslim nations affairs is written into the history books. The division between communities in western cities (especially European ones) is deep seated.
You don't need to be Osama Bin Laden to make the correlation (justified or not) between what's going on in the Middle East and what's going on in many European neighborhoods. It gives further credence to the disillusionment of Muslim youth living in the west. The last thing we should be doing is pouring fuel on the inferno by rejecting them and justifying their grievances. It seems a touch idealistic and probably unattainable, but who knows, maybe we could do our bit in the west to reverse the problem by making these vulnerable young men and women part of our world. Easier said than done.

Sorry if that's all been said before on here but I've been sensing a lot of fear and misunderstanding or straight up unwillingness to acknowledge the root of this problem. It's all over commercial TV news here. Suddenly fear and ignorance is finding it's voice again but this phenomenon is more complex than they could ever bother to understand.
:tup: Excellent post.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yep. Racial realism is no better than Nazi Eugenics. Another sham science that tries to demonstrate proof of racial superiorities.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like people are jumping all over Cam for basically further explicating his position on the issue. It's pretty straightforward in my opinion, even if his initial statement made it seem different. People called him on that initial statement, which was a single sentence with like 5 words. I don't know, it seems a little rash to jump down someone's throat based upon those 5 words without first asking for further explanation. And his further explanation makes the original statement make sense, he wasn't lying or pulling a complete u-turn like some are suggesting.

I disagree with him, but I have no problem with how he went about explaining his position, which has been pretty consistent through the entire thread, even if that one post made it seem different.
I'd have no problem with it if this had been the first time. But it's not. He does this very often. At one point it's no longer an honest mistake. And it's not elaborating when further explanations contradict the initial statement.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
But as much as you can babble about western imperialism as the liberal's raison d'être for jihadist extremism, that cannot account for what's happening in places like Mali, places like Nigeria with Boko Haram, places like the Philippines with Abu Sayyaf, places like Bangladesh. I think it's overly simplistic to say it's all just a product of the Western boogeyman.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I'd have no problem with it if this had been the first time. But it's not. He does this very often. At one point it's no longer an honest mistake. And it's not elaborating when further explanations contradict the initial statement.
You keep going on and on like a broken record. Nothing of my opinion has changed only my clarification.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
But as much as you can babble about western imperialism as the liberal's raison d'être for jihadist extremism, that cannot account for what's happening in places like Mali, places like Nigeria with Boko Haram, places like the Philippines with Abu Sayyaf, places like Bangladesh. I think it's overly simplistic to say it's all just a product of the Western boogeyman.
But are those countries still not suffering the lingering effects of colonialism? I mean, it is overly simplistic like you say... but at the same time, colonialism played its part in creating the world we live in today.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
But are those countries still not suffering the lingering effects of colonialism? I mean, it is overly simplistic like you say... but at the same time, colonialism played its part in creating the world we live in today.
You cant comprehend the issue by only thinking post colonialism, it wouldnt do the issues justice.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Also, mentioning the crusades guys...seriously?

A comparison of one short period of Christian history vs the entire history of Islam. That's pretty accurate and tells the full story right?

Look at the area with most dots, Spain-Portugal. It doesn't show the massacre and forced conversions of Jews and Muslims when the Catholics took over.

The Right-wing extremists and the minority Muslim extremists are feeding off one another's violence, a violence that will eventually engulf us all if we allow it to ensue. Both of these polarising forces want us to take sides and see a black and white world, and if that happens, then God help us all.

- - - Updated - - -

Arent they the ones usually getting killed in the process while theyre trying to save pagans from eternal hell? On the other hand Muslims tend to blow infidels up. But the reaction to closing mosques would be awful, which is why I think that would be a bad idea.
That's a very modern phenomenon.

In fact, there is very little by way of forced conversions in Muslim history. A lot of conquests yes, but the populations were rarely ever forced to convert. Take Eastern Europe and the Balkans as a recent example, where the Ottomans ruled for centuries, but the majority of the population remained Orthodox or Catholic. Even within the Arab Middle East, where Muslims have ruled for 1400 years, there are still significant populations of Arab Christians in the millions. Syria has a couple of Million, Egypt around 10+ million, Lebanon another 1.5+ million. Even the hapless Yazidis were left to be all this time until ISIS decided that they understood the world better than anyone else.

These populations could have easily been wiped out in the pre-modern era where there were no such things as human rights, international courts, the UN etc, but weren't. These areas were ruled by "Caliphates" until WW1.

Don't let the wanton violence of the modern world fool you.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
A comparison of one short period of Christian history vs the entire history of Islam. That's pretty accurate and tells the full story right?

Look at the area with most dots, Spain-Portugal. It doesn't show the massacre and forced conversions of Jews and Muslims when the Catholics took over.

The Right-wing extremists and the minority Muslim extremists are feeding off one another's violence, a violence that will eventually engulf us all if we allow it to ensue. Both of these polarising forces want us to take sides and see a black and white world, and if that happens, then God help us all.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a very modern phenomenon.

In fact, there is very little by way of forced conversions in Muslim history. A lot of conquests yes, but the populations were rarely ever forced to convert. Take Eastern Europe and the Balkans as a recent example, where the Ottomans ruled for centuries, but the majority of the population remained Orthodox or Catholic. Even within the Arab Middle East, where Muslims have ruled for 1400 years, there are still significant populations of Arab Christians in the millions. Syria has a couple of Million, Egypt around 10+ million, Lebanon another 1.5+ million. Even the hapless Yazidis were left to be all this time until ISIS decided that they understood the world better than anyone else.

These populations could have easily been wiped out in the pre-modern era where there were no such things as human rights, international courts, the UN etc, but weren't. These areas were ruled by "Caliphates" until WW1.

Don't let the wanton violence of the modern world fool you.
AFAIK It's a map of battles, not occupying atrocities, I did however find a map of religious atrocities committed by all sides during the time period, in red.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
It's bizzare you somehow think that makes it better :)

You like to kid around, but to get little serious for a second, it's beyond agreeing or disagreeing about some topic. You shown you are insanely quick to generalize and are small minded in how you paint whole groups of people with fairly hateful brush.

So incredibly pointless to entertain the notion of "discussion" with someone who's idea of a conversation starter are cliches like "every Muslim is a terrorist" or lovely nuggets of wisdom like "immigrants are criminals "or insert random dumb shit about Jews.

If you don't want to be judged for the thoughtless things you say, think through them hard before you say it. It's one thing if it were jokes, but you clearly aren't joking.
PM

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
But as much as you can babble about western imperialism as the liberal's raison d'être for jihadist extremism, that cannot account for what's happening in places like Mali, places like Nigeria with Boko Haram, places like Bangladesh. I think it's overly simplistic to say it's all just a product of the Western boogeyman.
Why not? This new form of extreme Jihad is as pervasive around the world as it is consistent. The creation of Islamic State has set the agenda for most of its affiliates around the world in terms of organisation, aspiration and doctrine thanks to the use of social media by official propagandists. It's more than just a mandate to implement Sharia Law. At the heart of the most prevalent fundamental Islamic ideology is a disdain for western decadence. Islamic fundamentalism has developed in the past 20-30 years directly in reaction to western ventures abroad. Notably the creation and incessant backing of Isreal, orchestrating coups and backing unwanted autocrats, the jingoism that led to two Gulf Wars, constant drone strikes in Yemen, waging war against Muslims in Somalia, supporting India's oppression of Muslims in Kashmir. And all the while Islamic Jihad has become more and more extreme. It's ideology is increasingly at loggerheads with western values in more numerous and more extreme ways, now to the point of barbarism.

Islamic fundamentalists, no matter where they hail from around the world see the interference in the affairs of other Muslims as an affront to their faith. If a nations Muslim population hasn't been negatively affected directly by Western imperialism in all it's forms (political, militaristic, commercial) of which cases are rare, there will still be a handful of people that are susceptible to radicalizing by virtue of empathy alone. Now we're seeing a phenomenon where even non-Muslims empathize with the Salafist cause, convert and join their violent struggle. So Islamic fundamentalism can poison even the most unlikely victims minds. Never mind politically unstable states with large Muslim populations. What has fostered violent extremism more than political power vacuums like the ones in Mali, Libya, Somalia and Northern Nigeria?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)