Paris attacks (6 Viewers)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
We could take the extreme and round up all the politically liable elected officials, round them up, and then execute them to hold them accountable for their actions. Then what? What does that solve? The Syrians are still f'ed and migrating in massive waves, ISIS is still beheading and blowing up people, etc. Maybe it makes a few people feel better with "Take that, I told you so"s, but other than appeasing some smugness that offers very little improvement relative to the predicament the world is now in.

That's not saying people shouldn't be held accountable, but that's also hindsight. That doesn't change the current circumstances. People in the U.S. military don't just say, "Oh, I quit" and go AWOL because they didn't vote for the guy (or woman) who got voted president. That's absurd.
I just saw Shepherd Smith's refugee monologue. I think the world's coming to an end :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Didn't see this in the news but got it from our office travel guys:

Please be advised that two Air France flights headed from the United States to Paris were diverted last night due to bomb threats. Air France flight 65 from Los Angeles to Paris was diverted to Salt Lake City and Air France flight 55 from Washington D.C. to Paris was diverted to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Law enforcement agencies are presently working to determine the nature and validity of the threats.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I am not sure how accurate is that, but you got Sunni tweets againt Shi'aa for instance or bash them just because they're stupid pricks but they are not ISIS.
Exactly. Also many Syrians are simply so anti assad that they could look and sound like they're ISIS supporters, when they are obviously not extremists.

It's from a liberal source so it's not got any hawkish agenda, I'd be inclined to accept that their methodology is sound.
But it probably lacks nuance.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Exactly. Also many Syrians are simply so anti assad that they could look and sound like they're ISIS supporters, when they are obviously not extremists.

But it probably lacks nuance.
You're a smart guy, maybe you can explain this for me:

For the past few days I have thought about the possible objectives of Isis and I honestly don't understand them. Do they really believe they will change France for example? And imagine they have their caliphate, surely they realise that that will make it very easy to destroy them?

So do they really have these objectives? Is there an actual organization with an actual ideology? Or are these kids doing something to do become infamous?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

For the past few days I have thought about the possible objectives of Isis and I honestly don't understand them. Do they really believe they will change France for example? And imagine they have their caliphate, surely they realise that that will make it very easy to destroy them?

So do they really have these objectives? Is there an actual organization with an actual ideology? Or are these kids doing something to do become infamous?
My personal interpretation is that they're getting exactly what they wanted. They know they can't change France they even know that most of the muslim community will condemn their horrendous actions, but the polarization that will be caused between muslims and western society, especially in countries like Belgium and France will create the perfect breeding ground for their recruitment efforts there, especially among disadvantaged youth who come from low income and minimally educated backgrounds, those people in addition to being socially and economically disadvantaged will now be even more marginalized by society as a result of the inevitable backlash due to those events, which as i said creates the perfect breeding ground for recruiting gullible young men.

Its either that, or there is no strategy at all and those monsters are actually deluded enough to believe they can create their "caliphate"(I'm reluctant to use this word) by blowing shit up every now and then.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm in for the recruitment theory and chances to better legitimize themselves. I'm intrigued by some of the "containment" strategists, who say coming at them with ground troops is their ideal and we'd be better off walling off their caliphate (which itself would be an affront to them) and letting their quality of life implode for all to see.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

Besides the explanations already given, we have no reason to think that ISIS, or at least the vast majority of it including its leadership, actually is deeply fanatic. They believe that god and the prophecy is with them, and as such losing isn't even a possibility.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
My personal interpretation is that they're getting exactly what they wanted. They know they can't change France they even know that most of the muslim community will condemn their horrendous actions, but the polarization that will be caused between muslims and western society, especially in countries like Belgium and France will create the perfect breeding ground for their recruitment efforts there, especially among disadvantaged youth who come from low income and minimally educated backgrounds, those people in addition to being socially and economically disadvantaged will now be even more marginalized by society as a result of the inevitable backlash due to those events, which as i said creates the perfect breeding ground for recruiting gullible young men.

Its either that, or there is no strategy at all and those monsters are actually deluded enough to believe they can create their "caliphate"(I'm reluctant to use this word) by blowing shit up every now and then.
Definitely the first part and it will probably work to an extent, sadly.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:tup:
@Hustini

Are these articles correct? I don't know enough about current refugee policy in the United States... but if these articles are correct and it's actually a 18-24 month screening process, it's absolutely pathetic that any state would be refusing refugees, and that anyone would argue a more rigorous process is needed. 2 years to research refugees? Ridiculous. And you guys say that a wave of refugees is going to enter America all at once, and terrorists will get in. Yep, all those terrorists that will pass through the 2 year screening process, that has a 50% success rate for applicants.

You guys have to be kidding arguing against accepting refugees on the basis that the screening process isn't rigorous enough. All evidence points to the exact opposite.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/17/how-americas-screening-of-syrian-refugees-works.html

http://time.com/4116619/syrian-refugees-screening-process/

http://www.vox.com/explainers/2015/11/16/9745318/syrian-refugees-us-isis

Only 2% of the 1800 refugees accepted over the last year have been males of combat age. Yep. America doing so much for the refugee crisis.

And fuck Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz. Only Christian Syrian refugees should be allowed? Disgusting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)