Paolo De Ceglie (50 Viewers)

Jun 13, 2007
For once, I have to agree with Akhmed here. DC should play ahead of Nedved, he seems to have that position well covered. He was never this impressive in the few games he played as LB.

Juventine

Little Witch
Jul 11, 2008
He is been given more chances in the LM position than LB. He never played that impressively as a LM before neither. He played really badly against Bate and he was just average against Torino.

Anyway, I'm yet to see him perform a good match as LM against a defensive team which is not slow.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He wasnt good enough in LM against Chievo, Bate, Torino and other games he was subbed in as such. He is not a dribbler, so he is already up in the offensive half of left wing as a winger, he would mostly receive the ball while not running, and will be forced to dribble in short space while in stand still, or either pass back the ball.

In those above games, his choice has been to pass back the ball almost all times, because he isnt a dribbler if he doesnt have a momentum with him. Which he would if he played as an offensive LB/wingback, he would have space to run down the whole wing, and use his explosiveness to get into spaces opened up after linking up with the mids, and get past players on the run with accelaration and force (and he does this real well, seen it enough in azzurrini, and also against Milan...last season with Siena, he owned them then too).

The duels with Zambro was the perfect case (great ball by Marchisio, and he runs into that space, and keeps on going with momentum of his run), when there isnt that space to run into with the ball, he is very uneffective as a winger, and mainly just passes back to the mids (because he cant effectively dribble when in slower tempo, he is freezes up and plays it safe).

Thats his M.O which is quite obvious IMO, and its the M.O of a wingback, not a natural left winger IMO, he doesnt have the set abilities to make left wing his permanent choice of position. Is too limited and conservative to function real well as a permanent choice.

He is more of a Zambro then a Giggs/Ribery.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
He wasnt good enough in LM against Chievo, Bate, Torino and other games he was subbed in as such. He is not a dribbler, so he is already up in the offensive half of left wing as a winger, he would mostly receive the ball while not running, and will be forced to dribble in short space while in stand still, or either pass back the ball.

In those above games, his choice has been to pass back the ball almost all times, because he isnt a dribbler if he doesnt have a momentum with him. Which he would if he played as an offensive LB/wingback, he would have space to run down the whole wing, and use his explosiveness to get into spaces opened up after linking up with the mids, and get past players on the run with accelaration and force (and he does this real well, seen it enough in azzurrini, and also against Milan...last season with Siena, he owned them then too).

The duels with Zambro was the perfect case (great ball by Marchisio, and he runs into that space, and keeps on going with momentum of his run), when there isnt that space to run into with the ball, he is very uneffective as a winger, and mainly just passes back to the mids (because he cant effectively dribble when in slower tempo, he is freezes up and plays it safe).

Thats his M.O which is quite obvious IMO, and its the M.O of a wingback, not a natural left winger IMO, he doesnt have the set abilities to make left wing his permanent choice of position. Is too limited and conservative to function real well as a permanent choice.

i agree with u. i see him more as a LB ..... he can improve his defense work which i think it is good enough to bench Molinaro but he can't learn how to dribble cause it is a gift ...... so good defender and great going forward is what i would like to see with DC ...

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
ranieri can put him on the left wing, because if he does lack defensive quality it will not come costy ... so he can get experience and be better ... that could be a part of the decision to play him there ... to give him playing time without the pressure of being the last man on the left.

in amateur soccer it is actually a common thing to put the ones that do lack something up front because you do not have to pass the ball to them and if they do an error they can not do much harm, because the whole team is behind him to help regather the ball

Jun 13, 2007

This is true, skills wise he is more suited to the LB position. However, he is not a better defender than Molinaro. He somewhat lacks discipine IMO. He is always mosts impressive when he is on his runs down the left wing, he never quite impresses much at all defensively. He's not as aggressive as he should be.

At LM position, he is doing a better job or can do a better job than Nedved. I really hate to say this, but Nedved is just a shadow of his former self. The things he can do on the pitch are very limited, even when he has the ball in open space and has 2 or 3 options he is always a step behind. De Ceglie lacks the skill Nedved once had, but he does have the pace and the explosiveness Nedved now lacks.

Furthermore, I would say that the left midfielder should have a combination of skill and pace. Since De Ceglie has more speed than Nedved but not that much less skill, it's only fair he starts ahead of him. We don't have a good backup for Molinaro yet.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think the trio of Marchisio, De Ceglie and Giovinco should definitely go to South Africa for the Confederations Cup. That would be great for their development IMO.

Forza Lippi :xfinger:

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Furthermore, I would say that the left midfielder should have a combination of skill and pace. Since De Ceglie has more speed than Nedved but not that much less skill, it's only fair he starts ahead of him. We don't have a good backup for Molinaro yet.
the problem with nedved is, that he used to rely on his pace and running. he was never a dribbler ... can not remember any trick he ever used to pass a defender other then just doing a feint and running past him.

since he will not become any faster, slowly integrating de ceglie on the left midfielder spot is a good thing to do.

nedveds long shots are only memories from yesterday, so it is not really something that is a minus for de ceglie. let's hope ranieri can teach him a thing or two about passing opponents and gaining momentum after receiving the ball and we will have some nice feeder for amauri or trezeguet

Mar 30, 2006
he gave a great assist for amauri's goal against Milan and for Amauri's winner last week. He is doing great and has a beautiful cross. I felt so happy when he was taking on Zambrotta and battling away with him.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
The exact example of Zambrotta-Camoranesi showed that Zambrotta couldn't compete with Camoranesi in the midfielder position. Is De Ceglie better than Zambrotta at that moment? Also Camoranesi is class but he is not even a master like a younger Nedved. What kind of level can De Ceglie reach as a LM/Winger? Other than high crosses, , did he succeed in assisting with other kinds of passes? Did he have shots on goal? Other than speed and physics, is his technical skill good enough? Did he show more playmaker characteristics? Till now he played as a LM in about 5-6 games now and he only played well (in attacking) against a slow and old team, a team with great defensive problems (not only at the back but also in the midfield).

At least I'm not convinced now. I hope he can show more to make me believe that he can become a world-class LM/Winger.

I know he's not good enough in the defensive department as a LB but I believe this can be improved. While in the LM position, he obviously has some limitations in talent.
Good post. Let's not jump on De Ceglie's dick yet. Oh wait, Elvin already did that. :oops:

I hope he starts in place of Molinaro next match I know he can prove he deserves the spot if only given the chance.
Not gonna happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)