Pablo Daniel Osvaldo (8 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2006
The problem at 30 is that a team knows it's basically a last contract. You sign a striker at 30/31 for 3 years, and he is now 33/34, his form is likely declining, and no team will buy him for more than peanuts. Therefore whatever you pay for a player over 30 you won't recoup, so obviously teams don't want to spend big money on a 30 year old. The law of diminishing returns. Now a 27 year old you can still spend decent money on because hopefully at 30 you can sell him for about 1/2-2/3 of what you paid. Ideally the only striker you are going to spend more than 30 mil+ on is younger than 27. Like Edison Cavani at 26 for 63 mil.

So Mirko, who we bought for 15 mil at 28 is now 30 and worth at most 10 mil. 2/3. Quags who we bought at 27 for 10.5 million, is now 31 and realistically worth 5-7 million. 1/2 to 2/3. These guys have only a couple years of high quality football left and then are basically bosmans, or sold for peanuts. Why on earth would anyone spend big on a player who has no future resale value?
But the fact is you can't get an quality forward player as good as Mirko for anywhere close to the price it would take to land him. Therefore it makes sense paying the 8-10 Million Euros to get Mirko than it does to pay triple for a player who is younger but at the same level, such as Jovetic. Probably makes more sense to get Mirko at 30 and keep him til 34 or 35 than get Jovetic now and sell him for half the money you spent when he is the same age. Also Mirko is more of a guarantee and that too is worth paying for sometimes.

I think his fee and relatively modest wages more than justifies what you get with the player even if you cant make much profit from a future sale. Especially for EPL clubs with their inflated player wages. He is a real bargain. Its a shame he did not want to join Arsenal if its true he rejected them.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
none of our 3 bench forwards are a guarantee. I think because of that we are in the situation we are right now.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I am not all that thrilled about this transfer if we exercise the option. I mean, he is a good player but he is not world class and you are paying 19m. I think in the transfer market these days, the difference in quality of player between 20m and 35m is enormous. Better spend that and get rid of other squad players you don't need.

Anyway, whether we like it or not, Osvaldo is still a better player on balance than Giovinco and Quagliarella. I assume that Vucinic will be also be lowered down the priority as he would have been first change before he decided he wanted to leave. So Osvaldo will be first change for Tevez & Llorente.

That means that in theory he will get plenty of games as we are about to play a game every 3 days once the Europa league starts - even Conte can't have Tevez-Llorente starting EVERY game.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Still, i feel bad for what is waiting to vucinic, giovinco and quags. I think they will feel what bendner and anelka felt when they wer at juve.

Total outcasting

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
Still, i feel bad for what is waiting to vucinic, giovinco and quags. I think they will feel what bendner and anelka felt when they wer at juve.

Total outcasting
I feel bad for Vucinic, not the other two

I'm a fan of Quag but him and Giovinco have had numerous opportunities to ask to leave/take up an offer. Only for their agents to come out and talk about how happy they are at juve and how they won't be leaving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)