Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
I voted for Nedved. My understanding of this thread is who is currently our most over-rated.

If memory serves me correctly, we were all anticipating a "killer" Juve when he returned from injury...

It didn't happen. :sad:

Pavel has been one of the best Juventus players ever. But he should retire when the ovation's loudest.
The first one who posted something that I agree with in this post

Zlatan is overrated ONLY in Sweden

I want to ask you all a question, which player (other than Sheva) adapted so fast in his first year in Serie A?

Buy on AliExpress.com

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
i actually think buffon is overrated. hes amazing but i dont think hes as incredible as he's made out to be

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Sir Sebastian ] ++
i actually think buffon is overrated. hes amazing but i dont think hes as incredible as he's made out to be
I agree.. It's not that he hasn't saved our asses more than once this season, but there are many goals he could have saved given his reputation..

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
I dont understand those who voted for Del Piero. How can he be overated when most of the time he is criticised for his performances? Id rather say that he is not rated at all.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
I find the Capello bashers impossible to understand. I watched the Liverpool match on SkySports, and there was something the commentator said about Capello:
The man has won the Championship with every single team he has coached.
So what the fu(k is the matter with you people? Our squad lacks the depth that Milan has, and it only goes to show his competence that he got us this far. According to the UEFA website, for a big club (I want to believe that we all still agree that Juve's a big club), the absolute minimum each season is the UCL knock out phase (Madrid, Barca, ManU). We went beyond that! So what are you people complaining about?
What we need isn't a new coach. It is additional and/or fresh players.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
I will rule out Capello immediately because I think it is indeed a minor miracle our team has reached this far in the CL & are joint Serie A leaders. With the bunch of players we have I would have expected far less!
Looks like all our players are following the Del Piero route. Starting out as very promising, touching that height then rapidly declining after a string of injuries. Trez requires a hospital around him, Nedved has given up, DP has tried his best amid constant bashing, Zambrotta is feeling the weight of too many games vis a vis Emerson.
Part of our biggest problem is that we have a reputation & every team comes at us from a defensive point of view. They play a waiting game and ultimately we make a mistake. Sadly this is turning out to be a case of more of mistakes lately.
So who is the most overated?
Absolutely no one. I have never swallowed the hype & always been down to earth. We just need more depth to bring out the best of our players.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++
"Juventus are not a side who buy players to increase the size of their squad, we buy individuals to play." Moggi
I didn't know Moggi said that Ali. If he really did, then we have a problem.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Indeed he said that and when we are winning its brilliant but at times like this its so crappy.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #52
    ++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++
    So who is the most overated?
    Absolutely no one. I have never swallowed the hype & always been down to earth.
    It takes a strong man. :) But evenso, you may recognize that people around you, coaches, players, the press etc do take the bait and this poll is more about reputation than personal opinion. :)

And guys, please understand the nature of ratings to begin with, it's my word against yours, everyone has an opinion. Some of you have said "why are you picking on him, he's done well" but that's not the point. The point is to compare the reputation with the performance, those two quantities are sometimes completely out of range. In Nedved's case, he rose to the top so quickly, then he played one season so well that everyone fell in love with him and since then it's been all downhill. Last year he was far less significant, this year he's been less important than Camoranesi and Emerson.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
    Martin, I think you had some very good points in that first post, and I agree to most of what you said, but I think you're forgetting something important: the positives about the players. You pointed out all the negative sides shown from the players lately but seem to miss out on what good they also have done. If they all were as overrated as you suggest, where would we be this season? Who would lead the team to success? We might have been eliminated from the CL in the quarter finals by Liverpool but until that point we did very well in the competition and are still in good position to win the title. When considering if the players are overrated or not, you could also look at it from this angle:

Nedved: Can't say much about him because of all the injuries he's had this season. Before those came, however, he did very well and was decisive on more than one occasion. He scored against Djurgarden and in the first league game, then against Bayern and Ajax, in which both goals gifted Juve wins. Had the added difficulty of adapting into a "new" position and a new system.

Zlatan: Settled in amazingly, performing at the highest standards and scoring consistently throughout the whole season. Proved to be the difference on many occasions. Has virtually lead the attack all by himself.

Trezeguet: Was at his best at the start of the season, scoring consistently, until the injuries came and after that his season was virtually over.

Zambrotta: Never stopped giving his best. Did less in offence than under Lippi but in return few players have caused problems on the right side of midfield this season. Also did well in midfield when called upon.

Thuram: Has been magnificent alongside Cannavaro, proving to be impenetrable and reliable as well as of the highest quality. Many criticised him when he played on the right and he himself expressed his desire to play in the centre. Well, now he's demonstrating why.

Del Piero: Has again demonstrated his professionalism and abilities, giving his best at all times and never giving up. Was a little disappointing at first when Capello started replacing him game after game but has since then coped admirably, most recently scoring 5 league goals in the last 5 matches.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
    Nov 1, 2004
    I still don't understand why people are voting Zlatan.

Let's face it, from his Ajax days he has never really been a pointman. Is it because he wears jersey number 9?

Zlatan (as evidenced whenever Trez plays) functions best when there's a predator in front of him.

Imagine if Pippo were still here, or if (let's dream a little) we can get RVN...

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by paulo ] ++
    Martin, I think you had some very good points in that first post, and I agree to most of what you said, but I think you're forgetting something important: the positives about the players. You pointed out all the negative sides shown from the players lately but seem to miss out on what good they also have done. If they all were as overrated as you suggest, where would we be this season? Who would lead the team to success? We might have been eliminated from the CL in the quarter finals by Liverpool but until that point we did very well in the competition and are still in good position to win the title. When considering if the players are overrated or not, you could also look at it from this angle:

Nedved: Can't say much about him because of all the injuries he's had this season. Before those came, however, he did very well and was decisive on more than one occasion. He scored against Djurgarden and in the first league game, then against Bayern and Ajax, in which both goals gifted Juve wins. Had the added difficulty of adapting into a "new" position and a new system.

Zlatan: Settled in amazingly, performing at the highest standards and scoring consistently throughout the whole season. Proved to be the difference on many occasions. Has virtually lead the attack all by himself.

Trezeguet: Was at his best at the start of the season, scoring consistently, until the injuries came and after that his season was virtually over.

Zambrotta: Never stopped giving his best. Did less in offence than under Lippi but in return few players have caused problems on the right side of midfield this season. Also did well in midfield when called upon.

Thuram: Has been magnificent alongside Cannavaro, proving to be impenetrable and reliable as well as of the highest quality. Many criticised him when he played on the right and he himself expressed his desire to play in the centre. Well, now he's demonstrating why.

Del Piero: Has again demonstrated his professionalism and abilities, giving his best at all times and never giving up. Was a little disappointing at first when Capello started replacing him game after game but has since then coped admirably, most recently scoring 5 league goals in the last 5 matches.

you can say something like this about any player, even becham or raul

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    you can say something like this about any player, even becham or raul
    No way. Maybe I didn't formulate myself that well but my point is that those players Martin mentioned are something special, and I believe most of them have rightly gained their huge reputations. I can agree that Nedved hasn't been near as good as he was or that some people way too overreact when talking about Zlatan, but as a whole I don't think they are overrated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)