Old-school Football (Anything pre-2000's) (9 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
One name that has always stuck me is Sonny Anderson, from watching 90s Champions League games on TV (on Thursdays if I recall correctly) In fact a lot of my memories of this golden era of football comes from ITV's Champions League coverage, and therefore I recall a lot about Manchester United. Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole running riot and the commentators actually saying "They really should do something to separate those two, it really is very difficult to tell them apart" :lol: I remember idolising Peter Schmeichel and Ole Gunnar Solkjaer. Brilliant players

I can remember Seedorf's dreadlocks, and in one game one of them was standing straight up for some reason. My brother and I made a joke that he was being remote controlled :D I also remember a game between Juve and Madrid (could well have been the 1998 final) and being bored to sleep. I guess at age 9 I favoured flair and fancy over well structured defensive units. How times change :touched:

Patrick Kluivert was one player I always admired greatly. And infact his style of play is actually quite similar to Llorente and other pure CFs in the game these days (and there are few enough of those at the top level) - a big, powerful CF who preferred to receive the ball along the ground or into feet. Actually that golden generation of dutch players was one of my favourites. So many top players coming through all at once. But of course they never managed to win anything as a nation.

One more memory - In the first game of the 1998 world cup Scotland played against Brazil. We went a goal down early but then we got a penalty which John Collins slotted away. All I can remember about that is sheer excitement. We had actually managed to get a goal back against BRAZIL!

...and them Tom Boyd scored an own goal to give Brazil the win. That was the earliest memory I have of the emotional rollercoaster that we know and love as "football". I wouldn't change a thing!

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Mancini was pretty talented, some have called him a genius, personally I just thought he was a very good player. He unfortunately for him lived in the shadow of Baggio when he was at his peak, only played something like 35 games for Italy.

I would rank him just ahead of Zola in terms of Italian no.10s

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the capoconniere list:

Bierhoff
Ronaldo
Del Piero
Baggio
Batistuta
Montella
Inzaghi

That is an insane list of players, no league will ever be able to touch how good Serie A was that season.
Ah! Fucking Bierhoff. One of the most over-rated douche-bags of the century. The fucker was an excellent header of the ball, but couldn't do shit with the ball at his feet. Montella was a very good goalscorer, but not much else really. Very instinctive and deceptively quick. Inzaghi is a scrawny rat-faced fucker who benefited from playing alongside legends of the game. Never like that piece of ass wipe, and was actually quite glad when we shipped his skinny ass to Milan, so he could be in an offside position 20 times per game, and celebrate a tap-in as if he'd scored the winner in a CL or WC Final. Such a pretentious prick.

The others are all legends of the game, however. Such a shame that Ronaldo's excessive consumption of milkshakes and burgers, in addition to obesity has led him to become delusional when it comes Calciopoli. Too much sour grapes with that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a question for the older fans.

Veron or Redondo, who would you have in your team?
Redondo. Veron was amazing @ Lazio but then vanished into obscurity once he moved to United. An expensive mistake, according to some United fans I know (inevitable and unavoidable here in Thailand; too many EPL loving cunts).

Dwight and Yorke was an amazing partnership, but as individuals, they were nothing special at all, especially by standards back then.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Dwight and Yorke was an amazing partnership, but as individuals, they were nothing special at all, especially by standards back then.
That's the thing - Yorke and Cole as individuals were not starter material for a team like Manchester United, but their chemistry was incredible.

89man

Sep 4, 2013
and celebrate a tap-in as if he'd scored the winner in a CL

Inzaghi was a fantastic centre forward.
Who cares if most of his goals were tap-ins, his job was to socre goals and that'a what he did.
It's not luck to be in the right place at the right time so often, it's a great skill and killer instinct.

Unfortunately we don't see many forwards like Inzaghi, Ruud, or Crespo today.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
I love both Veron and Redondo, but who can forget about this from Redondo, one of the greatest pieces of skill I have ever seen:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)