Official: Tiago to Juve (9 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The most apparent features of Serie A are aggression and tactics, while one's personal skills are very significant in La Liga. Hence, I'm not over-hyping Serie A when I say that the likes of Inesta will be easily destroyed in Italy. And, how can you compare Guardiola who played for Brescia to Inesta who is supposed to play for Juventus? And even Juninho is famous only because of his free-kicks and nothing more.

As for Tiago, just give me one sane reason why Murinho sold him to Lyon, despite the latter's passing abilites and defensive endeavours. Simply because he didn't cope with the English football. So, how did you reach the conclusion that Tiago would succeed in Italy? Unless, you rate the EPL as being better than Serie A.
that is the most ignorant thing i've ever heard on these forums.and believe me i've been here for a long time now.....to say Juninho is only famous for his free kicks shows that you dont watch Lyon at all.He is an excellent passer of the ball,he's got a good shot on him.And in the past 3-4 years few central mid's have been as effective as he has been with Lyon.

As for the "Tiago didnt cope with English football part".I beg to differ.He wasn't
really bad with Chelsea.He was just too simillar to Lampard IMO.he didnt offer anything that Lampard didnt.Mourinho wanted a Gattuso type Midfielder a destroyer that will tackle,chase balls and all that so that Fat Frank didnt need to worry about defensive duties.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I haven't seen much of Tiago this season tbh but I always thought he was an average centre mid.
The likes of Tiago and Inesta will get owned in Italy. I hope you watched yesterday's match between Genoa and Napoli to just realise that the newly promoted clubs have beasts in their squads.
He's too expensive for someone I consider who should be an understudy to a greater midfield player.
Not a big fan of Tiago either. He's decent at everything, but great at nothing.
i wonder how many of you have actually seen him play with Lyon???

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
No they won't. Tiago is an all-action midfielder who does what he needs to do... makes good passes, defends well, has good positional sense, and even chips in on goals. He's the sort of player to do the little things right and get the ball to the people who can perform magic with it, like Juninho.

I honestly don't understand why everybody overrates Serie A and states that players such as Tiago and Iniesta will blow in Italy. It just doesn't make any sense and you're lifting Serie A up to some ridiculous pedestal when in actuality La Liga and Serie A are on par with each other. If an old and injured Pep Guardiola could play well in Serie A, Iniesta most certainly can as well. He's a talent FFS.
Well said, Andy.

For some people, Iniesta is the next Guardiola. They both can do it in Serie A, for sure.

Jul 24, 2006
I will say this much though obv this is a pretty big rumour at present, I saw a lot of Prem when he was at Chelsea and I thought he looked great, was suprised they let him go TBH, but it was all part of Chelsea's transfer strategy rather than any failing on Thiago's part..

Also if he has the motor to cover the defensive inactivity of Junihno P then he's a good athlete for sure at the very least..!

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
that is the most ignorant thing i've ever heard on these forums.and believe me i've been here for a long time now.....to say Juninho is only famous for his free kicks shows that you dont watch Lyon at all.He is an excellent passer of the ball,he's got a good shot on him.And in the past 3-4 years few central mid's have been as effective as he has been with Lyon.

As for the "Tiago didnt cope with English football part".I beg to differ.He wasn't
really bad with Chelsea.He was just too simillar to Lampard IMO.he didnt offer anything that Lampard didnt.Mourinho wanted a Gattuso type Midfielder a destroyer that will tackle,chase balls and all that so that Fat Frank didnt need to worry about defensive duties.
Excuse me, but your whole post reflects that you're the ignorant one around here. Is Juninho a DMF, CMF or AMF. He is a jack of all trades and a master of free kicks only. And I don't know whether you comprehend it or not, most of football players are supposed to pass and shot, and Juninho is a footballer and he isn't so special whatsoever. And Yes again Juninho's fame has been due to him being one of the best free-kick takers and then comes anything else.

As for Lampard, he shares effectively in defending as well as in attacking, and his records is the EPL is the best witness. His performance was affected in the last season due to the wide defensive roles given to Essien. Lampard is far better than Tiago. Get Real.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The most apparent features of Serie A are aggression and tactics, while one's personal skills are very significant in La Liga. Hence, I'm not over-hyping Serie A when I say that the likes of Inesta will be easily destroyed in Italy. And, how can you compare Guardiola who played for Brescia to Inesta who is supposed to play for Juventus? And even Juninho is famous only because of his free-kicks and nothing more.
Just when I thought you could possibly be reasonable, you write up a post like this.

First of all, yes, in Italy tactics play a role greater than some other leagues, but how do you account for players such as Veron, David Pizarro, Totti, Almiron and Rosina? They're all playmakers and don't have the most tactical sense for an array of players, but they still excel here... what's the difference between them and Iniesta? And if you're talking about the fact that Iniesta is small, I don't buy that argument whatsoever. Pizarro and Rosina are both 'smaller' players and they're doing quite well in this oh so tough league for playmakers. This isn't the EPL FFS.

I can compare Guardiola and Iniesta because the former played in Italy and the latter is under discussion right now... which club Pep played for in Serie A doesn't matter because despite his teammates he still did well during his final seasons in this oh so tough league for playmakers.

And finally, your comment regarding Juninho really sums up your knowledge of Ligue 1 and the performances of Tiago. Anybody who has seen a couple Lyon matches knows Juninho isn't all about freekicks..

As for Tiago, just give me one sane reason why Murinho sold him to Lyon, despite the latter's passing abilites and defensive endeavours. Simply because he didn't cope with the English football. So, how did you reach the conclusion that Tiago would succeed in Italy? Unless, you rate the EPL as being better than Serie A.
So what, you think that everybody is suited for English football? And have you ever heard of Essien before? I'm not so sure.

I very much agree and I absolutely love to see Tiago play. He's a very stylish midfielder IMO and exactly what we need.
Yes indeed. I don't know why people underrate him so much as he has great technique on the ball. And so you stated, every team needs players that can do the little things right, especially in midfield where all facets of the game come together. Tiago can do it all.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
No they won't. Tiago is an all-action midfielder who does what he needs to do... makes good passes, defends well, has good positional sense, and even chips in on goals. He's the sort of player to do the little things right and get the ball to the people who can perform magic with it, like Juninho.

I honestly don't understand why everybody overrates Serie A and states that players such as Tiago and Iniesta will blow in Italy. It just doesn't make any sense and you're lifting Serie A up to some ridiculous pedestal when in actuality La Liga and Serie A are on par with each other. If an old and injured Pep Guardiola could play well in Serie A, Iniesta most certainly can as well. He's a talent FFS.
:thumbs:

Jesus Ahmedios, what's gotten into you? :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
And another funny point regarding Ahmedios' post... he says players like Tiago and Iniesta would get owned in Italy where "The most apparent features of Serie A are aggression and tactics, while one's personal skills are very significant in La Liga."

If that was the case, wouldn't that mean Tiago would be a good player in Serie A considering his positional and tactical sense?

Ahemdios, you've provided more reasons to buy Tiago than not to...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That's exactly why Ranieri wants Tiago actually.
Have Tiago play on the right side of a three-man midfield along with a destoryer in the center and a playmaker on the other side, and you have a nice conglomeration of talent in midfield. Ranieri likes the 4-3-3 and I personally love it, so hopefully we'll use it this coming season.

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
Just when I thought you could possibly be reasonable, you write up a post like this.

First of all, yes, in Italy tactics play a role greater than some other leagues, but how do you account for players such as Veron, David Pizarro, Totti, Almiron and Rosina? They're all playmakers and don't have the most tactical sense for an array of players, but they still excel here... what's the difference between them and Iniesta? And if you're talking about the fact that Iniesta is small, I don't buy that argument whatsoever. Pizarro and Rosina are both 'smaller' players and they're doing quite well in this oh so tough league for playmakers. This isn't the EPL FFS.

I can compare Guardiola and Iniesta because the former played in Italy and the latter is under discussion right now... which club Pep played for in Serie A doesn't matter because despite his teammates he still did well during his final seasons in this oh so tough league for playmakers.
I'm not going to take you seriously from now onwards, because the first sentence reflects how conceited you're.

Again you're comparing great football players like Veron and Totti to Inesta. Veron is very tactically sound, very strong physique, the best passer I've ever seen, has a strong character on pitch and a true hardworker. By the way, he was the first player ever in the history of WC to be tested for Nandrolone twice after one match after cutting 24 km against England in WC98. How can you compare him to Inesta? Totti is one of the best players in the history of Italy. Actually, I won't argue about this point more because just comparing Totti to Inesta is very lame.

And yes, Iniesta is small and isn't that tough, what is more. On the contrary, Rosina is more of a fighter and quicker. While Pizarro is a good passer and this is the best thing he can do, obviously he isn't a superstar. So, what is your point?

As for Guardiola and Inesta, I disagree. When a player represents a team like Brescia, he doesn't have to be in his top form, exactly like Guardiola who played for Berscia when he was past his prime. Whereas, when a player represents a team like Juventus, he is supposed to have something special. Certainly, different mentalities with different ambitions.

And finally, your comment regarding Juninho really sums up your knowledge of Ligue 1 and the performances of Tiago. Anybody who has seen a couple Lyon matches knows Juninho isn't all about freekicks..
And you even rate the Ligue 1 that high. I base my opinion about Tiago mainly from what I watched of him in Stamford Bridge, I don't deny it. And even when I watch him in Ligue 1, he doesn't impress me; an average player. Regarding Juninho, you're overrating him, in my opinion.

So what, you think that everybody is suited for English football? And have you ever heard of Essien before? I'm not so sure.
Who said that that everybody is suited for the English football? Tiago wasn't that successful in England. Hence, I do think he'll fail more in Italy, as simple as it is.

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
Jesus Ahmedios, what's gotten into you? :D
:D

And another funny point regarding Ahmedios' post... he says players like Tiago and Iniesta would get owned in Italy where "The most apparent features of Serie A are aggression and tactics, while one's personal skills are very significant in La Liga."

If that was the case, wouldn't that mean Tiago would be a good player in Serie A considering his positional and tactical sense?

Ahemdios, you've provided more reasons to buy Tiago than not to...
Tiago's positional and tactical sense isn't enough for him to play in Italy, simply because he isn't that special. I said it before and I'm saying it now again for you, Andy.

Therefore, I think now I've provided more reasons why not to buy Tiago.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
And even Juninho is famous only because of his free-kicks and nothing more.
What the fuck? Juninho is known only for his free kicks? Ahmedios dude, stop right here. You have no idea what are you talking. Go and watch some Lyon matches before talking nonsense like this.

May 21, 2007
I hope Juve get Tiago! this guy is a classy midfielder who i think will do really well in Turin! And he is only 25!! I was hoping Juve would get this guy about 2 months before all this speculation started so now that we are actually linked with him is great!
The next Paulo Sousa...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)