*OFFICIAL* The President Barack Obama Thead (3 Viewers)

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
i wonder if any americans do think that obama is "all talk, but no walk".

i do not have an opinion about those two candidates (i would've voted vor barrack too), but i saw a report where they said that obama is more the media guy than McCain, but does that make him the better president already ?

some of the celebrities in tv tell you, they like barrack and if you are in the room with him you just wanna follow him, because he is the natural leader.

as we all know celebrities are not necessarily the brightest in the world and perhaps easily convinced on things, because they look good from the outside.

the report i saw did mention how obama did not really add to the crisis talks about the financial crisis as he just sat there and said pretty much nothing where others where more involved.

some claims where heard that obama did take problems to easy and did make promises where he obviously had not enough in-depth knowledge on how to solve the problems

to make it clear, the report did not mention what McCain did add to that discussion (so i guess it was not pro-McCain) but i think it is rightful to ask:

is being a good show/media man enough for being a good president ?

i like to add, that i do not have in-depth information about the situation in the states, so this is my honest question (as i already stated, i would've voted for obama too, but perhaps we all lie for a modern Pied Piper that does his media stuff well, but does not have much behind it)

let's just hope for the best

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
dude, it's one thing if Obama ran against Bill Clinton. but did you hear McCain talk? it's a frickin miracle he could convince anyone to vote for him
Yes, but compare the numbers of the African-American voters to those of the Latino's and Asian (who should be more objective)

32% Latino's for McCain
35% Asians for McCain
31% others for McCain

Objectively, McCain should have gotten 1/3 of all the votes. Yet the white people gave him 55% and the black people gave him only 4%.
Racism, Martin.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

i do not have an opinion about those two candidates (i would've voted vor barrack too), but i saw a report where they said that obama is more the media guy than McCain, but does that make him the better president already ?
make them both moderators on juventuz and in a month you can tell. no joke

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Ален;1794339 said:
Yes, but compare the numbers of the African-American voters to those of the Latino's and Asian (who should be more objective)

32% Latino's for McCain
35% Asians for McCain
31% others for McCain

Objectively, McCain should have gotten 1/3 of all the votes. Yet the white people gave him 55% and the black people gave him only 4%.
Racism, Martin.
I think that's premature. You can't compare white people who are the "ruling class" and have been since day one to black people who just had their very first chance to vote for a black guy, ever. If you want to be even handed then put up a decent hispanic and asian candidate and see if those people are "racist" too.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I think that's premature. You can't compare white people who are the "ruling class" and have been since day one to black people who just had their very first chance to vote for a black guy, ever. If you want to be even handed then put up a decent hispanic and asian candidate and see if those people are "racist" too.
With this i agree.
Racism was a very strong word, i didn't mean it.
What i mean is that huge % of the African-Americans voted for Obama mostly because of the colour of his skin. But it was the first time, a historical time, for them so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

We will need a second duel between a white guy and a black guy (without the obvious difference in quality we've seen in the McCain-Obama duel) to conclude what i prematurely concluded.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
would be no different, the asians would vote for the asian, the hispanic for the hispanic

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
i guess there should be no question that racism is a topic that is not only widespread on "whites".

every other nationality or "race" that will see itself separated from the "white" will have a stronger cohesion, because history told them that they have to stick together to survive.

obviously when a "smaller race" has the chance to vote for one of them, they will do it, because evolution told them to do so.

further obama is a real media guy so anyone who is affected by media talk would have voted for him...

my definition of racism is a slightly other one ... for me racism does not only appear when you have negative prejudices ... my definition is "every prejudice/every thought and opinion you have about someone only because he is of "race" XY is racism" ... so when you say "blacks have long dicks" it's racism just like when you say "those asians always run arount with a photo cam"... but thats only my personal definition.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
i guess there should be no question that racism is a topic that is not only widespread on "whites".

every other nationality or "race" that will see itself separated from the "white" will have a stronger cohesion, because history told them that they have to stick together to survive.

obviously when a "smaller race" has the chance to vote for one of them, they will do it, because evolution told them to do so.

further obama is a real media guy so anyone who is affected by media talk would have voted for him...

my definition of racism is a slightly other one ... for me racism does not only appear when you have negative prejudices ... my definition is "every prejudice/every thought and opinion you have about someone only because he is of "race" XY is racism" ... so when you say "blacks have long dicks" it's racism just like when you say "those asians always run arount with a photo cam"... but thats only my personal definition.
So by your definition it is racist to say that a lot of Africans have problems drinking milk.

I think your definition sucks.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

The things that made me vote for Obama instead of Hillary Clinton back in the California primary elections back on February 5 included partly wanting to make a cleaner break from past politics. Part voting for hope and optimism and motivating a country in a positive, and not destructive, way. Part because Obama is an eloquent speaker and makes good common, intelligent sense and inspires others to think and act in likeminded terms. (This in contrast to the dumbing-down, the bitter hanging on to guns and God, and the politics of negativity, destruction, and lack of sacrifice expected by the current administration.) I saw Obama as a JFK of our times -- and the chance for that kind of leadership to renew a different country from the 1960s.

But most of all, I voted for him in the primaries because I trusted him to vote with the compass of his beliefs and not be swayed by things like the me-too rush to go to war in Iraq (unlike beer-and-shooter-swigging Hillary, who would whore herself out for votes anyway she could).

If "all talk no walk" means not going to war in Iraq in 2003, that in itself would have been a massive success for America, the economy, and arguably much of the world. Sometimes a president's greatness isn't in their actions, but in their lack of actions.

And sure, he's a fellow South Side Chicagoan. Maybe I fortunately have not experienced anything close to the racism many American blacks have faced over the decades here, and the pride they must have felt when Obama broke their theoretical Bradley Effect and glass ceiling. But I was also every bit as proud of his affiliation as a South Sider -- but that didn't mean that's the reason I voted for him.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
So by your definition it is racist to say that a lot of Africans have problems drinking milk.

I think your definition sucks.
if what you think about africans are only thoughts and not facts, than i would call it racism, because a common definition says racism was having negative prejudices based on the race of someone .... i just like to take away the negative touch

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Ален;1794347 said:
With this i agree.
Racism was a very strong word, i didn't mean it.
What i mean is that huge % of the African-Americans voted for Obama mostly because of the colour of his skin.
Exactly. If everyone chose Coke over Pepsi it could just be that they like Coke. Doesn't have to mean they hate Pepsi.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
What's up with California and the gay marriage ban? I thought California was all about the gay rights?

Who. The fuck. Knows. I hate the OC.

At my campus, it was essentially a 100% consensus against prop 8. If you were for it, you are publicly chastised and labeled as a bigot. Then it wins?

Note that we voted to give rights to farm animals, but not gays :D

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Ever heard of Jesse Jackson?
It was awesome seeing Jesse Jackson in Grant Park, welling up with tears at the event last night. I didn't always agree with the guy, but I always respected his commitment, his voice for the "little guy".

This will date me a bit, but I vividly remember Jesse running for election in 1984 on my college campus -- which was just 6 blocks away from the Grant Park festivities last night. He was trying to inspire and drum up college students to vote and make change after 4 years under Ronald Reagan.

The guy has seen some hard times and has created a number of his own personal problems. But he's been a Chicago activist icon since as long as I can remember. I can only imaging the long road this must have been for him to see a realization like this, from Chicago's first black mayor, Harold Washington, in 1983 to the first black U.S. president now. When evidence showed that not just the principles of the country lived up to the ideals that success shouldn't matter by the color of your skin, but that the voting population would act in kind on that very same ideal.

It's the acknowledgment that we aren't smoking our own dope.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
If "all talk no walk" means not going to war in Iraq in 2003, that in itself would have been a massive success for America, the economy, and arguably much of the world. Sometimes a president's greatness isn't in their actions, but in their lack of actions.
no,
i meant something like candidate: " i'll tell everyone to lower the taxes and fight crime (but don't know yet how)"

Promising things that get you the votes of people is one thing.

really standing to your word and doing something positive is more difficult (so i just guess if it was so easy to solve the problems it would have been done before).

i agree that McCain is in no case a better candidate (but that does not affect the quality of Obama as president).

without further knowledge i did not here anything positive about Obamas plans (if there are any known to the public).

i would be impressed if some economic pundits would say "obamas plan to solve problem x is innovative" but i did not hear anything like that, so im sceptical.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Who. The fuck. Knows. I hate the OC.
OC's part of it. I think inland California is huge too. This was the massive disappointment in this election... though I am still holding out for Al Franken to make up the 600 votes and take over Paul Wellstone's seat in the Senate. :D

I think a lot of the religious types, immigrant laborers and the like, in the inland areas were a huge factor. California isn't ready to accept social change yet. But it is coming, make no mistake.

Which is why I think it's unfortunate that we have to change the constitution, something that should be the last resort, to deal with momentary problems in modern times. That's ridiculous. There needs to be a 2/3 majority to change the state constitution, IMO.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
no,
i meant something like candidate: " i'll tell everyone to lower the taxes and fight crime (but don't know yet how)"

Promising things that get you the votes of people is one thing.

really standing to your word and doing something positive is more difficult (so i just guess if it was so easy to solve the problems it would have been done before).

i agree that McCain is in no case a better candidate (but that does not affect the quality of Obama as president).

without further knowledge i did not here anything positive about Obamas plans (if there are any known to the public).

i would be impressed if some economic pundits would say "obamas plan to solve problem x is innovative" but i did not hear anything like that, so im sceptical.
All voters are a little skeptical. We know that we have to dance a dance for two years, only to have our hands tied by reality and the forces of history that can change everything.

So you have to go with your best instincts. If anything, the campaign is more of a job interview than anything else.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
OC's part of it. I think inland California is huge too. This was the massive disappointment in this election... though I am still holding out for Al Franken to make up the 600 votes and take over Paul Wellstone's seat in the Senate. :D

I think a lot of the religious types, immigrant laborers and the like, in the inland areas were a huge factor. California isn't ready to accept social change yet. But it is coming, make no mistake.

Which is why I think it's unfortunate that we have to change the constitution, something that should be the last resort, to deal with momentary problems in modern times. That's ridiculous. There needs to be a 2/3 majority to change the state constitution, IMO.
But Mass totally legalized pot. You can now posses up to an ounce. If the east coast can legalize marijuana, it's only expected that California would help out the gays.

Though Christian campaigning was apparently huge in California as they consider the state to be a dam holding back the huge tide of gay from spilling all over the midwest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)