Official Euro 2008 Qualifier Thread (47 Viewers)

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
actually Bosnia won first match but I think we are brothers afterall ;)
I'm note sure about brothers, but I'm sure that Turkey will win especially when we are playing so poor, and also there were rumours that the game in Sarajevo which we won should finish draw so that in the last game team who don't need result will loose (but thank to yours "superb" GK we won the match)

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

The important thing is that Croatia qualified...

Congrats, Croatians.
Congrats Turk

and Congrats to Vlatko,Alen,Mark,Goggo and all the other croatian members in the forum.
Serbia's Euro 2008 encounter with Kazakhstan has been postponed due to heavy snow in Belgrade...

Sadly we probably failed to qualify...Poland won...

But congratulations for all Turks,Croats and everyone else from other nations who qualified. :pint:
Cheers guys. :pint:

Macedonia :weee:

I know we didn't qualify , but we beat the mighty Croatia. Due the rainy weather the pitch was terrible btw.
Now I really don't have anythin against anyone, but your players really frustrated me to the bone on Saturday. They played like it was their last match on Earth, even though it meant nothing to them. What the hell happened to that neighbourly solidarity, you know, share the points? :D

The pitch was unplayable, seriously I don't think the match should have went ahead but doesn't matter in the end, all finished well.

Now folks, how much do you reckon Abramovich is gonna offer each Croatian if they beat England on Wednesday? :D

Alfio_87

Nov 21, 2005
Euro 2008 qual. - Croatia offered incentives
Eurosport - Mon, 19 Nov 18:22:00 2007
Croatia have been offered incentives to beat England next Wednesday by the owner of Spartak Moscow.

Leonid Fedun has declared he will give Mercedes cars to the Group leaders' best four players - including his own club's goalkeeper Stipe Pletikoska - if they win at Wembley, a result that would allow Russia to qualify for Europe 2008 ahead of England.

"I'm doing this strictly as a fan," Fedun said.

"If we have even a small chance we must try to use it."

Russia's 2-1 defeat to Israel last weekend meant that, having been in pole position to take the second qualifying slot ahead of England, Guus Hiddink's men must hope that Croatia do them a favour.

An English businessman was reported to have offered a car to Omer Golan - who scored Israel's winner - but his country's FA refused the gift on sporting grounds.

Croatia have definitely qualified for the finals, although a heavy defeat would mean England win the group.

Eurosport

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
I hope we don´t beat them because I prefer England to Russia in EURO. And I honestly think we won´t beat them. On the other hand, this is a "do or die" game for England. They´ll get a positive result.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Tiago should have been in there -- Portugal needed him. To Armenia's credit, they didn't play on their heels for the draw. They came out of the box and tried to create opportunities. Portugal was flat-footed about it and couldn't combine more than one or two decent passes before turning it over (I wondered if they thought the red jerseys were Portuguese by mistake after a while).

Miguel Veloso did a nice job in that role by the second half, but Maniche was worthless, Simão blew every chance he got, and it was Portugal's defenders, Boswinga and Meira, who had the best games.

It was cold in Leiria, but you couldn't tell if the fans in the stands were frozen stiff or bored stiff. It was one of the least inspirational victories I've ever seen from a club who played at home with their qualification hopes in the balance. Finland has a good shot at qualifying still.

Nice try. But there's pretty much no chance of that now.
Greg, how do you rate Fernando Meira?

The important thing is that Croatia qualified...

Congrats, Croatians.
Thanks, Rebel. :) We were quite impressive too until the Macedonia match. Ahhhh, their pitch. :disagree: :tdown:

Honestly, I don´t know what to expect on EURO because Croats always seem to choke on the main tournament. This time we will have a much better squad but our defense still doesn´t quite convince me.

We mostly depend on Srna, Kovac brothers (whom I don´t rate that high but the truth is that they are immense for our national team), Modric and Eduardo and if they will play regularly on EURO and be in good form then I think we can reach the quarter finals. Of course, a lot depends on the opponents we get.

All in all, it is great that we won´t miss the EURO 2008 and that is becoming a trend for us. For my country as it is, that is a big sucess (to constantly be on major tournaments)...... :)

To wrap up a pretty good week, France has also qualified. It´ll be a great tournament. It will be even better if the boring Greeks are knocked out in the 1st round. :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Cheers guys. :pint:

Now I really don't have anythin against anyone, but your players really frustrated me to the bone on Saturday. They played like it was their last match on Earth, even though it meant nothing to them. What the hell happened to that neighbourly solidarity, you know, share the points? :D
This was their first win in their history against a team from FIFA top 10. After HT when we were already qualified and we stopped playing, trying not to get an injury on that horrible pitch, Macedonians saw their chance and gave everything to get one of the greatest results in their history. We had nothing against them beating us. The point meant nothing to us, the 3 points were huge for them.
I'm never happy when we lose, but in this case i think losing was better than drawing. It was a friendly match after all, but if we played 0:0 or 1:1 the world would have thought that the 2 friendly nations fixed the match. This way it's less suspicious (even though i'm absolutely sure it would have been a draw if Russians won in Israel) :p
And Vlatko, it was kind of important for us not to win this match . Because if we won we could have been group holders at the EURO, together with Austria, Greece and Switzerland and we could have found ourself in some group of death. This way we'll be in second pot and get AUT, SUI or GRE as group holders. It's much better than getting a group with Italy, England and France.
I'm glad for Macedonia and my friends from Macedonia for the greatest win in their history and i'm glad noone got injured on that pitch.
Congrats xcen3x.

Now lets win in England :p

Kosta

The Eccentric
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks, Alen

I think that there is another reason for what this win is so important for Macedonia. If your NT is ranked above 60 in the FIFA Raknings (and with this win we will jump 4-5 places in the rankings) the players from Macedonian league can go and play abroad without any sanctions and difficulties. The players from countries bellow 60 need special approval from FIFA and UEFA, correct me if I'm wrong, trough.

Good luck on Euro'08 , I think that this generation of yours can aim very high and I'm pleasanty suprised by Bilic and his work as NT coach.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

This was their first win in their history against a team from FIFA top 10. After HT when we were already qualified and we stopped playing, trying not to get an injury on that horrible pitch, Macedonians saw their chance and gave everything to get one of the greatest results in their history. We had nothing against them beating us. The point meant nothing to us, the 3 points were huge for them.
I'm never happy when we lose, but in this case i think losing was better than drawing. It was a friendly match after all, but if we played 0:0 or 1:1 the world would have thought that the 2 friendly nations fixed the match. This way it's less suspicious (even though i'm absolutely sure it would have been a draw if Russians won in Israel) :p
And Vlatko, it was kind of important for us not to win this match . Because if we won we could have been group holders at the EURO, together with Austria, Greece and Switzerland and we could have found ourself in some group of death. This way we'll be in second pot and get AUT, SUI or GRE as group holders. It's much better than getting a group with Italy, England and France.
I'm glad for Macedonia and my friends from Macedonia for the greatest win in their history and i'm glad noone got injured on that pitch.
Congrats xcen3x.

Now lets win in England :p
I don't think that's what happened at all. Sure, the math worked and we were already qualified but I don't think Bilic and the boys saw it that way. Did you see Bilic's post match conference? I feel the same way, this match wasn't about Macedonia gaining FIFA points and beating a team in the top 10, it was a lot more to them and it was of personal and nationalistic value IMO. That's something I found terribly irritating and frustrating give the circumstances.

This is not the face of a man that was playing for a loss or draw after half time, who was looking at math and who was looking to spare the players. He was looking for a win, just like always. Bilic, Asanovic too, was clearly disapointed with the conditions the match was played in, the attitude of the Macedonian players and ultimatelly the end result. Asanovic said; "it's been a long time since I saw such a hostile atmosphere on and off the pitch" and that describes it perfectly. This team, especially these young guys we have didn't deserve such an atmosphere. We lost, end of story, but this loss was not welcomed by anyone in the team. All math and talk of fixing matches aside, we didn't want to and didn't deserve to lose like this.

And in all honesty, I'd rather see us leave all math behind and just play every match 100% going for the win. History thought us, we aren't very good in such situations and we always end up underestimating opponents. Bring on Italy, France, anyone, we'll give them a run for the money, we have the coach, the staff and players to go optimistic to the Euro next year.

And yeah, lets beat England and cement our dominance in this group stage which was clearly obvious, even though this result doesn't suggest it.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Vlatk, I'm buying you a jersey with Trezeguet's name on the back If Croatia will knock England out. Nothing would be better to see my bestfriend closing his cellphone and locking himself in his house.

Forza Croatia.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Vlatk, I'm buying you a jersey with Trezeguet's name on the back If Croatia will knock England out. Nothing would be better to see my bestfriend closing his cellphone and locking himself in his house.

Forza Croatia.
That sounds like a plan. :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Im actually hoping that England make it to the Euros.Its so much more funn seeing them raped out of the finals after being built up as the Gladiators by the english press.
It would definetly give me greater satisfaction to see them not make it to the Euro especially because of us though.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I am also one of those guys who just can't stand British football... but comon, would you rather watch sloppy-ass Russian players?

PS and I wouldn't mind another humiliation from Scolari and Co. :D That'd make my summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 47)