Official Euro 2008 Qualifier Thread (49 Viewers)

Jul 23, 2006
Aw man, the media was wrong, the line-up did not include Hugo Viana nor Hugo Almeida starting, I was so disappointed to see Nuno Gomes play yet another game, give Hugo Almeida his well-deserved spot!

Men of the match, Quaresma, Moutinho, and Nani was pretty good when he came on.
Tiago showing us his volleys, and our defence with another clean sheet performance.

Cristiano scored 2 goals, other than that didn't shine much before scoring both goals, glad to see he played the full 90 minutes I think Quaresma should have played the full 90 minutes too.

Nevertheless, 4-0! Forca Portugal! :D I predicted a 4-0 score, once they scored 2.
Did Moutinho start??
Was he any good?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
swag

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #126
    Thanks for the match report Greg. What channel did you watch the game on btw?

btw, I just saw the highlights, that goal was all Quaresma, I didn't see Ronaldo touching it. :confused:
    I saw it on RTP International (RTPi). I finally ripped the thing so I can upload some goals from their perspective, if anyone's interested... (I'll at least have to post that reverse angle of the Quaresma goal.)

Cheers mate :smoke:
    Cheers, meu irmão portuguese. :pint:

Did Moutinho start??
    Was he any good?
    Moutinho not only started, but I think he was one of the most important players of the match. While he's no Deco, he had Deco's shoes to fill. And that little guy was like a gnat on defense. More impressively, he made some great plays for ball distribution and reversing the direction of play.

One of the problems the Portuguese NT had for much of the first half was that they held on to the ball too long and got quickly gang-tackled by Belgium's pressing defense. Moutinho didn't fall for any of that and did well to distribute the ball quickly with one- and two-touch handles, which the match really required.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
    Aug 25, 2006
    Congrats to Turk & Mark!
    Yeah your keeper was good.. but our keeper made couple super saves... and almost saved that second goal:)

I agree with you.

Also I think our team progresses, has the right coach. Economy is reviving. Its a small country ... and we try to be competitive almost in every sports...

Klaus Toppmoller said that "Georgia will try to do well against Ukraine, Italy and France to help scotland;))"
    About Arveladze... He was good and has got some class so far .. but as you obsereved there \were other players making the game.

Unfortunately Toppmoller was not able to get whole team together not even once.

Asathiany is injured for several month now... he is everything iether in midfield and defence, Kaladze you all know him... and some others.

Gogua (was rejected by one of the scottish clubs) , Siradze and others.

Anyway Best wishes to scotland!!!

P.S. Although scotland could've played less agressive. :(
    Thanks koSTARica. Good luck to Giorgia in their other games - especially against Domenech's Trezless France.
    Like Bozi, I was worried whilst I watched the game. I actually felt that Scotland played in a very disjointed manner - like they needed to practice/play together as a team more often than they have & didn't play as aggressively as I expected them to. I dread the Italy game - DP & co will make mincemeat of us - especially as Gigi has been encouraging his team-mates to adopt the right attitude towards us.

Jul 23, 2006
    I saw it on RTP International (RTPi). I finally ripped the thing so I can upload some goals from their perspective, if anyone's interested... (I'll at least have to post that reverse angle of the Quaresma goal.)

Cheers, meu irmão portuguese. :pint:

Moutinho not only started, but I think he was one of the most important players of the match. While he's no Deco, he had Deco's shoes to fill. And that little guy was like a gnat on defense. More impressively, he made some great plays for ball distribution and reversing the direction of play.

One of the problems the Portuguese NT had for much of the first half was that they held on to the ball too long and got quickly gang-tackled by Belgium's pressing defense. Moutinho didn't fall for any of that and did well to distribute the ball quickly with one- and two-touch handles, which the match really required

thanks for the report
    How much would he cost(estimate)?

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #129
    thanks for the report
    How much would he cost(estimate)?
    I don't know how much is left on his contract, what Sporting thinks he's worth, etc. So it's hard to say. He was playing in the Estádio José Alvalade, so essentially it was a home match of sorts to him yesterday. Still, he played extremely well -- better than what you'd typically get out of our offensive midfield for the past couple of seasons save maybe just Nedved.

I've uploaded a rip of Portugal's first goal, for where he was the critical piece:
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/5c0e79/
    (apologies for the lame free hosting service -- it's a 31Mb file since it's a full-quality TV rip)

As for Quaresma's completely sick goal, here is that reverse-angle as a 16Mb download as I mentioned:
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/a97da0/
    or
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2D30504D
    Between this premiere for the adult NT and his two performances against Inter in the CL, Quaresma is starting to prove he can come up big in big games.

OP
    swag

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
  • Thread Starter #131
    I don't know to me Moutinho reminded me of Deco, he played like Deco, I think he'll be even better than Deco give him time.
    Yesterday, Moutinho did a great Deco impersonation. I still hold back on the accolades because he was playing in a very familiar stadium against a somewhat weaker team. We'll see in the months to come. Hopefully, he'll get an opportunity to prove it wasn't a fluke against Serbia this week -- as I would start him in a heartbeat over Viana or Maniche, or anyone else for that matter, with Deco out undergoing surgery.

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
    Actually "Brave Hearts" need more organized play, and good tactics. As the game against Georgia was discussed, it appeared that after first goal 11 Scots went into defence - thats was a disicive move - They shouldn't back off playing at home against Georgia. And then we gotta give some credit to Georgia in first half- managed to score against such a defensive lineup;

After Hal-time Scotland was "Lost", and we (Georgia) didn't attack more and more , It seemed that we also were very satisfied with 1:1; (whay was that is still a question; But that was big mistake; Scots were doing the same thing for the whole second half - "making blind passes into the area, in hope of something - and it finally worked" -

Actually I don't wanna get into the details, but Scots need to have solid tactics against Italy to get a point;

Best Wishes,

koSTARica

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    aye if we do that against italy we will get murdered.

by teh way how good is gogua?like i said hearts are still trying to secure a permit for him next season so he could still end up in edinburgh

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Scotland are better playing when we can sit back and counter attack. We won't win but I doubt we will be humiliated.

Hopefully Scotland will play Anderson and Italy will play Del Piero so I can watch my two favourite players playing directly against against each other.

@Bozi I assume this guy is actually Lithuanian but chose to play for Georgia or you wouldn't be trying to sign him.

May 25, 2006

England has not scored in three straight Euro '08 qualifying games; now the team's star and coach are at each other's throats

England coach Steve McClaren and Wayne Rooney were involved in a heated clash after the draw on Saturday, according to reports. McClaren also has threatened to drop big name stars for the Andorra match.

-- Goal.com
    SI.com

K0STA

Jul 12, 2006
    Scotland are better playing when we can sit back and counter attack. We won't win but I doubt we will be humiliated.

Hopefully Scotland will play Anderson and Italy will play Del Piero so I can watch my two favourite players playing directly against against each other.

@Bozi I assume this guy is actually Lithuanian but chose to play for Georgia or you wouldn't be trying to sign him.
    If you think Gogua is Lithuanian:) Its funny cause he's got nothing to do with lithuania;

Also he IS good. But a bit likes yellow/red cards:)))

Georgia had great chance after equaliser to get at leat draw, but we set back in defence and that was wrong desicion;

Also we had defensive problems, if you remember Eliava he is attacking midfielder and was sitting in defence (It was him who couldn't stop 2nd goal);

GL!

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger

This being a global website, I don't know which of the many, many internationals that were played on Saturday you have watched on television. But it is highly unlikely that you have seen a match as good as the Czech Republic versus Germany. Or, for that matter, a team as good as the Germans.

You really would need the verdict of someone who knows the opposition intimately, in this case the Czechs, to properly assess the game and your own team's performance.

Still, I think it's fair to say that Germany were very impressive in Prague and the fact the feared Czech offence only got rolling in the last fifteen minutes - once a lucky, deflected shot had gone past Jens Lehmann - was mainly to due to excellent work on behalf of the guests.

A similar thing goes for the Czech backline having such taxing 90 minutes. True, this is not the most solid defence in the world; but there were so many great German moves, especially in the first half, and so much nice one-touch football that even a much more cautious crew than the Czechs would have been busy sealing up leaks left, right and centre.

It says a lot about how solid Germany were as a team that chances fell to everyone upfront. Of course Kevin Kuranyi, whom - truth be told - I once didn't rate that highly, scored twice, drew a fine save from Petr Cech and should have won a penalty when it was 2-0.

But his partner, Lukas Podolski, hit the bar and attacking midfielders Bastian Schweinsteiger and Bernd Schneider both could have been on target as well. (If you know Schneider, you'll be surprised to hear that he missed from just inside the box - with a header!)

So it was the performance of the side that made for pleasing news on Saturday. The result was less important. Because let's face it: there was never really any doubt Germany would qualify for Euro 2008. I hope this doesn't sound smug, coming as it does from someone who's used to catching flak for being habitually critical of the national team. It's just that we always qualify. In fact, Germany's record in qualification campaigns ranks among the best in football.

The last time we lost a Euro qualifier was almost a decade ago, in October of 1998 away to Turkey. (Just to show you how much time has passed since then: the coach who celebrated his debut on that day was someone by the name of Erich Ribbeck.) If you consult one of those insane statistics tomes and look up the all-time record as regards qualification matches for the European Championships you won't find Germany among the top four.

However, that is misleading. The teams that head this particular table - the Russians, the Czechs and the Spanish - have played roughly twenty games more than the Germans, which explains their higher points total.

But look at the 'lost' column. For Germany, it says six. The only team that comes close is England with eight defeats. All other nations that have some sort of track record in this competition (meaning those with a reasonable number of games under their belts) are in double figures.

And the picture is even more impressive when you look at World Cup qualifiers. Oh sure, you'll now quickly bring up Germany's 5-1 loss at home against England in 2001. But that was only the second defeat. Ever! In fact, Germany/West Germany went more than half a century without losing a single World Cup qualifier, before Portugal broke the spell in 1985.

So that's just two losses since March 11, 1934, when a 9-1 win over Luxembourg marked the beginning of Germany's history in World Cup qualifying campaigns. Brazil have lost that many matches while qualifying for the 2006 tournament alone, and they were beaten no less than six times on their way to the 2002 finals.

One is tempted to say you can't compare the two countries, because Brazil have had those mammoth CONMEBOL campaigns in which they regularly faced a superpower like Argentina. Then again, it wasn't that regular. CONMEBOL uses this unwieldy, one-group marathon with up to 18 matches per team only since 1998, when Brazil were automatically qualified.

And during the 1980s, West Germany always had to survive larger groups with some dangerous sides. (Just have a look at the 1986 qualifying campaign, when the opposition included Portugal, Sweden and the Czechs.)

At the same time, Brazil typically played only four games, usually against Bolivia, Paraguay or Venezuela.

But be that as it may, even if we leave comparisons with Brazil out of the equation, the fact remains that the Germans have a great and statistically unlikely qualifying record.

In my book, I cite this to counter the often-heard claim we are arrogant, because I couldn't - still can't, actually - see how you can be stuck-up and at the same time refuse to take any of the many lesser-known sides you are bound to meet in a qualifying round lightly.

So we had any right to be quite certain, even before the Prague match, that Germany would make it to the tournament in Austria and Switzerland. Whether we can make up for our dismal showings at the last two Euro finals is open to speculation, of course. But if Saturday's game is anything to go by, we should at least be able to send a team you don't have to be embarrassed by.

A team with some promising youngsters that is at its best when it takes the game to the opposition. And that in itself would be a vast improvement over 2000 and 2004.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    they shouldn't get ahead of themselves, there is still a long way to go for this team imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 49)