Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (34 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heir

Apr 6, 2010
I'm going to be honest. Since Sweden aren't in this for the first time in 10 years I've never thought about Italy or another team. I'm going to be secretly rooting for Ivory Coast cause I want an African team to go far but I know that once I see Buffon, Marchisio, Chiellini and Camoranesi out there, I can't help but wanting them to do good.
I don't know about that. I don't like the atmosphere surrounding the Italian NT. I want Ivory Coast to go far, but I think I might be "rooting" for Argentina this time. I want to see that belly dance!

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I can't understand what's wrong with being an Azzurri fan in these forums. In fact, the Italian national team has been always more connected to Juve than any other club in football. Not mentioning all the hate-filled opinions of Lippi, one of only two coaches who won everything with Juve. Really confusing shit :shifty:
Are you asking what's wrong with supporting Italy while not being Italian yourself?

Nothing's wrong, imo. Can't talk in other's name, but nothing's wrong according to me.

But imo nothing's wrong in cheering against Italy, even if half of those players come from Juve.
So you won't hear anything from me if you support Italy at the WC, but I expect the same from the other part when I will cheer against them during the WC and I hope no-one will preach to me how I must support the NT where so many Juve players play.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think all fans of Juventus should root against Italy this summer. Why? Because folks at FIGC need to come to terms with the harsh reality of Italian football in its current state. Any success will simply be an excuse to delay the changes necessary for the betterment of the league and Italian football as a whole... in the long run.

Just like a business cycle, you need to have recessions to cleanse the system from weakness. Consider this summer a recession for the Azzurri while Serie A is in the midst of an all-out depression.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Are you asking what's wrong with supporting Italy while not being Italian yourself?

Nothing's wrong, imo. Can't talk in other's name, but nothing's wrong according to me.

But imo nothing's wrong in cheering against Italy, even if half of those players come from Juve.
So you won't hear anything from me if you support Italy at the WC, but I expect the same from the other part when I will cheer against them during the WC and I hope no-one will preach to me how I must support the NT where so many Juve players play.
Not supporting Azzurri is alright but cheering against Italy where many Juve players are playing in means that you'll be happy seeing Azzurri getting humiliated which also means that you'll enjoy seeing the likes of Buffon and Marchisio not performing well and even though I won't preach you how you must support the NT where so many Juve players play, I'd say that there is something sadly wrong with you :p

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005

Exactly. Of course, it's quite stupid to support Italy against your own country when it's natural to cheer against Italy anytime.

But I just felt over the past months that anyone who's not Italian and supports Italy is some kind of a joke which is really unexplainable.

In my case, my NT team are not in the world cup and even if they're they have no chance in competing beyond the group stages. So I think it's quite natural for me to cheer for Italy, being a Juve fan, without people laughing at me with all that 'Azzurri fanboys' remarks.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I think all fans of Juventus should root against Italy this summer. Why? Because folks at FIGC need to come to terms with the harsh reality of Italian football in its current state. Any success will simply be an excuse to delay the changes necessary for the betterment of the league and Italian football as a whole... in the long run.

Just like a business cycle, you need to have recessions to cleanse the system from weakness. Consider this summer a recession for the Azzurri while Serie A is in the midst of an all-out depression.
That is so idealistic. Even if I knew that Juve failure in a season is like having a recession which will lead to our directors cleansing the system from weakness I'd still not stop rooting for the team I love.

That said, I really don't understand why the folks at FIGC need to realize the "harsh" reality of Italian football if their NT manage to do well in the World Cup.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
That is so idealistic. Even if I knew that Juve failure in a season is like having a recession which will lead to our directors cleansing the system from weakness I'd still not stop rooting for the team I love.

That said, I really don't understand why the folks at FIGC need to realize the "harsh" reality of Italian football if their NT manage to do well in the World Cup.
I'm not surprised you don't understand.

SABSAB

Snoop Stinks
Dec 10, 2008

YES. Exactly what I'm thinking:tup:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

:lol: Why indeed, our Juventus-supporting, Azzurri-hating friend? The national team is Italian football above everything else. Inter's success has no reflection on Italian football, as an example.. It has a reflection on Serie A as a league and competition. Serie A doesn't have to be linked to the Azzurri at all, take Inter again. Coaches will just go out and spend more on foreign players, but then I suppose that is what you want, ultimately. As I said before, Juventus is tied to Italian football, that is the identity of the club.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
:lol: Why indeed, our Juventus-supporting, Azzurri-hating friend? The national team is Italian football above everything else. Inter's success has no reflection on Italian football, as an example.. It has a reflection on Serie A as a league and competition. Serie A doesn't have to be linked to the Azzurri at all, take Inter again. Coaches will just go out and spend more on foreign players, but then I suppose that is what you want, ultimately. As I said before, Juventus is tied to Italian football, that is the identity of the club.
You honestly believe Serie A and Italian football aren't connected whatsoever?

Silly me, I guess. Apparently Azzurri players don't play in the Serie A, apparently the tactics implemented by the Azzurri over the years have never been seen in Serie A, apparently Italian players don't usually play in Serie A, apparently the FIGC has no bearing over Serie A, and apparently the Azzurri doesn't even play in stadiums used by Serie A teams, meaning the Azzurri isn't even located in Italy whatsoever.

And apparently, above all, it's foolish to understand the human mindset of procrastination when it comes to taking steps to improve one's own environment.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Not unconnected, but not reliant on each other. The Premier League has done fine with mostly top class foreign players, mixed in with one or two English standouts.

Apparently you read a lot of things I never said.

One thing I do agree with is that Italian football doesn't deal with it's problems early enough, but when it is killing itself from the inside out then don't expect it. There are MUCH bigger issues in Serie A than how the Azzurri do this summer.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I mean hey, it's not my national team whose ass is on the line here. If Italians and their fans don't want to take measures to improve the quality of their own league and implement plans to safely nurture talents instead of losing them to foreign usurper clubs, be my guest.

Any success seen this summer will delay the measures to improve the game, guaranteed. It's human nature. One can even see it with the opinions in this thread.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Not unconnected, but not reliant on each other. The Premier League has done fine with mostly top class foreign players, mixed in with one or two English standouts.

Apparently you read a lot of things I never said.

One thing I do agree with is that Italian football doesn't deal with it's problems early enough, but when it is killing itself from the inside out then don't expect it. There are MUCH bigger issues in Serie A than how the Azzurri do this summer.
It's not just about players. It's about the whole package, the whole entity that is Italian football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 34)