Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (154 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
"I will watch the World Cup through binoculars. Actually, I won't watch it at all. If I do turn on the TV I might, just might support Portugal…"

- Miccoli

:lol:
Not even Miccoli is a Azzurri fanboy. Instead, he's a Portugal fanboy!
:lol:

Major props to him, supporting his adopted nation.

Azzurri :pado:

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It's not about the names, it's about coach and players form. Grosso were on form in 2006 and 2008, I believe he'll be at his best again in SA. Chiellini-Panucci destroyed Villa-Torres partnership in 2008, for me older Chiellini who has played a lot together with Cannavaro seems even better duo. Lippi will deal with RB, there are plenty of options apart from Zambrotta who may be the weak link - Cassani, Bonucci, switching Grosso to the right side.. Midfield and GK is the obvious strong points of this team and as for the attack, there's enough talent in it, whether you like players like Gilardino, di Natale and Pazzini or not.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Grosso :sergio:

Old creaking Canna :sergio:

Many mediocre players

=

One big failure

I won't bet any money on Italy making it beyond the Quarters; that should, realistically, be the limit of their ambitions.

Dec 31, 2008
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Lippi experiments with tridents[/FONT]
Wednesday 4 May, 2010
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Italy boss Marcello Lippi has spent the morning experimenting with attacking tridents at the Azzurri's training camp in Rome.

Lippi named a provisional 29-man squad at the weekend to join him for a three-day training session in the capital, although Roma players like Daniele De Rossi and possibly Francesco Totti were consciously ignored as they are engaged in the Coppa Italia Final this evening.

Il Corriere dello Sport understands Lippi lined his players up in a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 formation.

In the last hour of training, he focused on the composition of an attacking trident.

At first, he used Mauro Camoranesi, Marco Borriello and Fabio Quagliarella.

He then tried one that included Vincenzo Iaquinta, Alberto Gilardino and Antonio Di Natale.

The final configuration was perhaps the most interesting as it featured Simone Pepe, Giampaolo Pazzini and Di Natale.

The Italy will squad will next meet in Turin on May 23.
[/FONT]

Dec 31, 2008
---------------------------Gigi
Cassani---------Canna-----Chiellini----------Criscito
---------Marchisio----De Rossi-----Pirlo
-------------IQ-----------Gila---------Natale
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Lippi experiments with tridents[/FONT]
Wednesday 4 May, 2010
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Italy boss Marcello Lippi has spent the morning experimenting with attacking tridents at the Azzurri's training camp in Rome.

Lippi named a provisional 29-man squad at the weekend to join him for a three-day training session in the capital, although Roma players like Daniele De Rossi and possibly Francesco Totti were consciously ignored as they are engaged in the Coppa Italia Final this evening.

Il Corriere dello Sport understands Lippi lined his players up in a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-3-3 formation.

In the last hour of training, he focused on the composition of an attacking trident.

He then tried one that included Vincenzo Iaquinta, Alberto Gilardino and Antonio Di Natale.

The final configuration was perhaps the most interesting as it featured Simone Pepe, Giampaolo Pazzini and Di Natale.

[/FONT]
:juventus: i think this is gonna be the one

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Wednesday 4 May, 2010

[/FONT]
Nothing strange here. The call-ups made it obvious that 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 will be Lippi's main formations. The lack of quality in central midfield, where Pirlo is completely off form and De Rossi is the only quality option right now, together with the lack of typical wingers who can play in a 4 men or 5 men midfield, will force Lippi to use the above mentioned formations.

Dec 31, 2008
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Lippi is aware of Pozzo record[/FONT]
Wednesday 4 May, 2010
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Italy boss Marcello Lippi says thoughts of emulating Vittorio Pozzo, who won back-to-back World Cups in the 1930s, have crossed his mind.

Speaking after training this morning, Lippi said: “It's a dream that I have never had, but I also know that there is this possibility in South Africa.

“Sure, if it only happens once in almost a century it means that we are talking about something that isn't simple, but never say never.

“The key is to create a group of people with important technical qualities, but also the right psychological conditions: everyone must put themselves at the service of the team. This is the only way you can get results.”

Lippi was then asked about his future, which is still uncertain ahead of the World Cup.

The President of the FIGC, Giancarlo Abete, would like to make an announcement before Italy fly to South Africa, but Lippi isn't duly concerned.

“Right now, it doesn't count who will be Italy's Coach from July 12. There is a World Cup upon us.

“Italy are always in this competition and form part of its history, seeing that we have won four World Cups and are second only to Brazil.”
[/FONT]

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
:juventus: i think this is gonna be the one
Yes, I like that trident.

One other thing:

Italy boss Marcello Lippi says thoughts of emulating Vittorio Pozzo, who won back-to-back World Cups in the 1930s, have crossed his mind.

Speaking after training this morning, Lippi said: “It's a dream that I have never had, but I also know that there is this possibility in South Africa.

“Sure, if it only happens once in almost a century it means that we are talking about something that isn't simple, but never say never.

“The key is to create a group of people with important technical qualities, but also the right psychological conditions: everyone must put themselves at the service of the team. This is the only way you can get results.”
Just in case some still don't know why Miccoli and Cassano aren't going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 154)