Official Azzurri WC2010 Thread (51 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciacca

I'm Fabio Capello
Dec 19, 2009
Mancini reveals his Italy XI
Tuesday 17 November, 2009

Former Inter, Lazio and Fiorentina Coach Roberto Mancini has revealed the XI players he would select if he were in charge of Italy.

The 44-year-old recently decided to rescind his contract with Inter just over a year after being sacked by Massimo Moratti.

Mancini is still without a job and would be one of the frontrunners to take over from Marcello Lippi, if the World Cup winner steps down next summer.

Interviewed on Italian TV show Le Iene, Mancini named his XI as Buffon; Zambrotta, Nesta, Barzagli, Grosso; Pirlo, De Rossi, Gattuso, Cassano; Totti, Toni.

Interestingly, Mancini differs with Lippi in that he would prefer Barzagli to Cannavaro.

There is also no room for Cannavaro's Juventus team-mate Giorgio Chiellini.

But perhaps most important of all is Mancini's decision to include Antonio Cassano, the Sampdoria fantasista, who has so far been ignored by Lippi during his second stint in charge of La Nazionale.

Cassano has become something of a cause célèbre among the Italian people.

A fan got on the pitch during Italy's friendly with Holland on Saturday and showed off his T-Shirt on which was printed: “Cassano in the national team.”

:howler: That team flat out sucks. Barzagli over Chiellini? Come on.

And some folks want this douche to coach Juve.
Liking the idea of Cassano, but the rest is too old. Barzagli? Gattuso? Toni? Lippi is smarter then that.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Francesco Totti has finally confirmed he will go to the World Cup “if Marcello Lippi calls, I’m fit and the squad wants me.”
Totti, just like Del Piero, was never even half as good for his country as he was for his club, but he's still Italy's best player and he's still able to make the difference between a semifinal and a 1/8 final.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
He can add a lot for Italy's current team. They need him.

Their strikers are pretty bad. Relying on Gilardino and co. is :pado:

They could also use Cassano but oh well..
Lippi is acting like a child regarding Cassano. Moronic move from Lippi. Cassano is cleary Italys best attacker.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Three names to get Lippi's place after the WC so far. This will be funny for both fans and haters. :D

Secondo quanto riportato dal Corriere dello Sport Stadio, la Figc avrebbe tre nomi sul proprio taccuino per il dopo Lippi: Cesare Prandelli, Carlo Ancelotti e Claudio Ranieri.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Three names to get Lippi's place after the WC so far. This will be funny for both fans and haters. :D

Secondo quanto riportato dal Corriere dello Sport Stadio, la Figc avrebbe tre nomi sul proprio taccuino per il dopo Lippi: Cesare Prandelli, Carlo Ancelotti e Claudio Ranieri.
The "dopo Lippi periodo" will be a tricky one.
Remember 2006 and how absolutely no-one from the big names wanted to coach Italy? They all knew that with the players at their disposal (The great generation getting old and not enough quality coming) there are almost zero chances to do something and how you can only go down from there. That's why the FIGC was forced to choose someone young and naive enough to take the risk. They found Donadoni, and expectedly, it didn't end up well (I'm still convinced that no matter who coached Italy, the same would've happened).

Now the situation won't be same, but won't be much different. Change of generations will inevitably follow. Cannavaro, Grosso, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Toni, Gattuso, Totti (if he comes back), Del Piero, maybe even Pirlo etc will all leave and looking at the new generations of Italian footballers it will be hard to create a new winning team. The new coach will not only have to find lots of new names for the Azzurri squad, but he'll also have to find a way to make them work well.
That's something that I doubt a coach with a big salary at Chelsea will accept to do, so Ancelotti's out. Ranieri just started coaching Roma and even though i'm sure he wants to coach the NT, I'm not sure he'll leave Roma just like that after 1 season, especially if he takes them to CL.
Prandelli might accept the job, even more if Fiorentina fail to make the top 4.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
As you say, it'll be a new generation of players, so a new, younger coach with ideas would be preferable anyway. I would like to see Prandelli as the future Juve boss and think he would be wasted in international management, but he certainly fits the bill.

There is enough talent coming through to see the Italy team do well in the future, depending on how players take their chances and get chances. If we are looking at players for the 2012 campaign currently then you are looking at this as a possible selection pool:

Buffon
Marchetti
Amelia
Motta
Santon
Maggio
Cassani
Ranocchia
Bonucci
Chiellini
Bocchetti
Gamberini
Criscito
Marchisio
De Rossi
Pirlo (maybe)
D'Agostino
Montolivo
Palombo
Galloppa
Aquilani
Candreva
Pepe
Foggia
Giovinco
Balotelli
Rossi
Quagliarella
Pazzini
Gilardino
Iaquinta (maybe)

There will be several other options from the U21 who could possibly make it in, as well as players who blossom later, this happens a lot in calcio. The biggest problem looks like finding a settled defence, but we always new it would be a problem to eventually replace a defence that consisted of Zambrotta-Nesta-Cannavaro-+1. Fortunately Chiellini has emerged and if Motta, Criscito and Santon get enough games they can establish themselves. Players gain in reputation, standing and their playing level by playing regularly for their clubs in top competition, or playing for their country and moving to clubs who are at that level, they all start somewhere.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Nesta admits World Cup plan Saturday 13 February, 2010

Alessandro Nesta admits he could reconsider international retirement for the World Cup. “I spoke with Marcello Lippi. We’ll see.”........

.....“We will see how things go later on in the year,” confessed Nesta after last night’s 3-2 win over Udinese.
“I spoke with Lippi and now we’ll see how the situation evolves.”
-----------------
With Nesta's form this year, I have to admit that Nesta-Chiellini in front of Buffon looks much more promising than everything else Italy has at the moment in defense.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Totti. Iaquinta
cassano
de rossi. Pirlo. Marchisio
santon. Chiellini. Nesta. Zambrotta
buffon

This is my pick if they will play 4312

Dec 31, 2008
4-3-1-2
---------------------------Gigi
Zamrbotta------------Nesta-----Chiellini-------Criscito
------------Camo---------De Rossi-------Pirlo
---------------------------Totti
---------------------Glia---------Rossi
Marchisio, D'Agostino, Pazzini, Di Natale would be my other picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 50)