Non-Juve Transfer news (official or rumors) (15 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
there had to be a buyer though

also, what about zidane, who was also 29 when juve sold him for a then world record fee?
Zidane was one of the best players of his generation. Higuain is replaceable player + choker. Plenty of neutrals laughed at us. Marotta policy to buy serie a proven players at the time.

I mean the point was this: we laugh at Bayern for buying Kane. Is Higuain better or worse player i dont know? Kane also choked against France last year. He hasnt won any trophy till now and his 30. Imagine if Ronaldo had stayed in Portugal till 30, or Benzema at Lyon till 30. Is Kane a serial winner? Who draws that line. Why some leave and join big club age 19 or 20 and others 29-30.

Higuain turned 29 same winter. I always knew he wasnt going to give us even 5 years service. Why did we buy him then? At least Ronaldo who we could also laugh at was CL proven and was bought to make difference in CL.

If i was Bayern and clearly they had money i would have gone for Osimhen. Bayern will have to replace Kane soon because of his age. It seems he might also want to return to Tottenham before he retires. So 33-34? Even Ronaldo didnt cut it in epl at 36ish. Also Kane has injury issues.

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Zidane was one of the best players of his generation. Higuain is replaceable player + choker. Plenty of neutrals laughed at us. Marotta policy to buy serie a proven players at the time.

I mean the point was this: we laugh at Bayern for buying Kane. Is Higuain better or worse player i dont know? Kane also choked against France last year. He hasnt won any trophy till now and his 30. Imagine if Ronaldo had stayed in Portugal till 30, or Benzema at Lyon till 30. Is Kane a serial winner? Who draws that line. Why some leave and join big club age 19 or 20 and others 29-30.

Higuain turned 29 same winter. I always knew he wasnt going to give us even 5 years service. Why did we buy him then? At least Ronaldo who we could also laugh at was CL proven and was bought to make difference in CL.

If i was Bayern and clearly they had money i would have gone for Osimhen. Bayern will have to replace Kane soon because of his age. It seems he might also want to return to Tottenham before he retires. So 33-34? Even Ronaldo didnt cut it in epl at 36ish. Also Kane has injury issues.
higuain was also one of the best of his generation. a proven goal scorer on the long run. you don't hire these players for their resale value, you hire them because if you don't, you score less, you win less, you earn less. higuain - with that header against inda - won us a scudetto decider match. you know how much is the difference between winning the league and finishing 2nd? he also scored tie deciders in the cl. he wasn't cheap but do the math, he wasn't overly expensive either. he rarely was injured, and it's not his fault that juve decided to go the jj route and forget everything about sustainability. messi fans who remember that miss in the world cup final say that he was a choker, but they forget that messi himself never showed up for that match lol. also, who were the 9's who were available and head and shoulders above higuain at that time?

as for kane, you could ask the same thing. and bayern exactly know that he won't be the same player when he's 34. so what, this move gives them 2-3 years to find the next levandowski. and they have massive cash flow, they can easily afford this risky move. you have a point, kane IS injury prone.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Higuain turned 29 same winter. I always knew he wasnt going to give us even 5 years service. Why did we buy him then?
Because Napoli (and to a lesser extent Roma) pushed us for the scudetto almost till the end, and because we just lost Pogba and Morata who were responsible for around 50 goals in 2015/16. We needed immediate quality to continue winning the scudetto and going far in the CL. Higuain and Pjanic were the best we could get at that point. And it showed right away. We made the CL final and Higs+Pjanic scored/assisted 57 goals that season. And we "robbed" our rivals of their best players.
Higuain's purchase didn't hurt us. We had the money from the Pogba sale and we earned a lot with our CL performances. Ronaldo+covid was what fucked us hard.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
The amount of disrespect Higauin gets is crazy, he was fantastic for us for a while until he wasnt anymore. He couldnt help the price, I'm glad we got him, we needed him at that point. Pipita was a friggin assassin for us (and an underrated all around player) :

If an employer spends a fortune releasing me from my contract and almost doubles my salary I wouldn’t arrive In training overweight. He still scored a lot of goals, but still spending that money on a player for 2 good seasons is stupid. I only wish it was the stupidest thing we did but we topped that with CR7 signing.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
he was fantastic for us for a while until he wasnt anymore.
We also seem to forget that after two excellent seasons with Juve (66 goals+assists), he was forced to leave once we signed Ronaldo in 2018. Hence we can't predict how useful he would have been had he stayed as our main striker.
Also, it's always said that we signed him for 90m euro, but it's fair to say that we got 18m euro from Milan for a season's loan, so the actual price is 72m euro. Still very high for the three seasons he gave us, but incomparable to what we paid for Ronaldo, without getting much more in return.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
We also seem to forget that after two excellent seasons with Juve (66 goals+assists), he was forced to leave once we signed Ronaldo in 2018. Hence we can't predict how useful he would have been had he stayed as our main striker.
Also, it's always said that we signed him for 90m euro, but it's fair to say that we got 18m euro from Milan for a season's loan, so the actual price is 72m euro. Still very high for the three seasons he gave us, but incomparable to what we paid for Ronaldo, without getting much more in return.
He spent half a season in Milan and half in Chelsea, and wasn’t successful in either of them. He was obviously in decline.
also I don’t buy that “we had the money” argument. The season after that we went looking for a winger and settled for Berna and Costa. In summer 2016 City bought Sane for 52m. The fact that we had the money doesn’t justify dumping it on one player with questionable longevity

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Because Napoli (and to a lesser extent Roma) pushed us for the scudetto almost till the end, and because we just lost Pogba and Morata who were responsible for around 50 goals in 2015/16. We needed immediate quality to continue winning the scudetto and going far in the CL. Higuain and Pjanic were the best we could get at that point. And it showed right away. We made the CL final and Higs+Pjanic scored/assisted 57 goals that season. And we "robbed" our rivals of their best players.
Higuain's purchase didn't hurt us. We had the money from the Pogba sale and we earned a lot with our CL performances. Ronaldo+covid was what fucked us hard.
So signing Ronaldo was mistake? I actually was one of the members who defended Higuain after 2017 CL final. But lot where like 'Higuain cost 90m he should have won us the final". Then we replace that guy with mr CL. I can objectively see reason why we signed Ronaldo. In the end Ronaldo scored 2 goals in 2017 final and Higuain 0. And he is Ronaldo. So signing Ronaldo fucked us hard when Agnelli pushed for CL? Who was he supposed to sign then? Ronaldo signing went against Marotta general transfer policy imo and it was Agnelli call but it made sense (its not some arab owned club buying expensive toys, calculated decision, once in a lifetime opportunity, not even maybe one day we win smth bs like some current epl clubs throwing money left and right, the team was built to win and only came short in the final). The Higuain signing can be excused by weakening rival like you say but that is also wrong policy. In the end Napoli got lot of money to buy another striker. Marotta was obsessed buying serie a proven players (and he had plenty of misses buying abroad; emre can, lemina, bentancur are not elite level nor even serie a proven for a team going for CL). The only reason we say Ronaldo was mistake was cause we didnt win CL. Did anyone in 2018 say its a mistake? Objectively its stupid to buy 33 year old but we had made 2 CL finals in last 3 years. The mistake was pairing Ronaldo with the likes of Emre Can in midfield who isnt Pirlo nor even young Pogba. The starting XI was getting worse. I think 2015 team might have won the CL with Ronaldo. But we never know. On paper 1997 & 1998 juve had stronger lineup then opponents. The Atletico game also showed what Ronaldo was still able to do on his day and that grinta and mentality was moreso why we bought him. Higuain doesnt have that mentality. But then we lost to random teams like Lyon and Ajax. We should not have lost those ties. We had more experience than Ajax and Lyon where midtable in France at the time. We didnt lose to peak Guardiola or Ancelotti teams. And it wasnt just cause of the individuals but outcoached imo.

Everything is IFs and BUTs. For example our stadium is 2,5 x smaller than Madrid or Barcelona. Lets say covid doesnt happen. 35000-40000 people come watch Ronaldo then, cause randoms fans will surely come then. Was there plan to expand the stadium then for more people and more publicity to make more money? I thought media and fans raved about the money and publicity Ronaldo was going to generate when we signed him. But our stadium capacity is 40 000. Madrid is 81 000 and Barca Nou camp is 99 000. So what more money was he going to generate then?

Agnelli signed him only for CL but for some reason they thought the likes of Emre Can, Matuidi and Bentancur who started against Ajax was good enough to win CL. Of course on paper it should be good enough against Ajax. But is it good enough to win CL?

LOT of people singlehandedly blamed Higuain after 2017 final. Precisely for the pricetag. Suddenly he is some sort of a saint. All is forgotten.

Also we sold one starter every year prior to Ronaldo signing. Even when there was no covid and we were winning. No wonder Agnelli pushed was superleague and Marotta was complaining about the gap in the market. Its like everything was rosy before covid. Why we even sell Vidal then? Why we sell Pogba if we just gave him no 10 and maybe even captain armband? Are you telling me covid was the reason we sold Vidal and Pogba? So we should have sold two starters during pandemic year/years. Utter nonsense.

The team was already as a unit getting past their peak when Ronaldo was signed. There was no pandemic when Emre can was signed.

Last edited:

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
So signing Ronaldo was mistake?
In hindsight, a huge one. The mistake which brought us where we are right now.

I can objectively see reason why we signed Ronaldo.
Most of us can. We wanted the CL and we gambled. We lost. We couldn't predict covid and the money we'd lose on top of the money we were paying for Ronaldo.

The only reason we say Ronaldo was mistake was cause we didnt win CL.
Hmm, if this is true, doesn't the same go for Higuain too? If we won the 2017 CL (and at least we made it to the final), was Higuain gonna be a mistake?

Did anyone in 2018 say its a mistake?
Someone in Bayern did. Some members here, albeit excited too see CR7 in our jersey, showed concerns about the potential financial implications of this transfer.

The mistake was pairing Ronaldo with the likes of Emre Can in midfield who isnt Pirlo nor even young Pogba.
But you see, this is the point. We were financially stable enough to pay 90m for Higuain, and two years later to pay +100m for Ronaldo, knowing very well that we won't get anything in return from Ronaldo's potential sale.
But once we got Ronaldo and his gigantic wages, we had to make compromises elsewhere in the team. We had to pair him with the likes of Can, Ramsey, Rabiot.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
That's the thing exactly with Ronaldo, the transfer fee wasn't the main issue, the salary was (and the expectation and pressure). We overextended ourselves to the extreme signing him with 30-35m a year salary.

It was a foolish risk it all move we couldn't build anything around, most of the pie chart was sacrificed to that. Skint. Nor did we even have competence anymore to build around it.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
i don't think signing ronaldo was a mistake. ignoring the rest of the squad and giving paratici the managing duties on the other hand...

how many proven class players did we sign since ronaldo? zero? or de ligt qualifies for one? and it's not like ronaldo broke the club, we had money, we spent loads on ramsey, arthur, de ligt, locatelli, etc. if you consider wages and transfer fees, jj made plenty of expensive signings since ronaldo joined, and the club also raised the wages of former and current players to an undeserved and unsustainable level. that's the real issue, not ronaldo himself. we simply dropped our level and rewarded mediocrity with unparalleled wages. ronaldo deserved his 31m, tek, bonucci, rugani, arthur, sandro, ramsey (etc) didn't. balance was lost, and after ronaldo left, jj found itself with a bunch of overpaid clowns with zero direction

i don't like ronaldo personally but i'd sign him again if a competent director would be in charge :boh:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
The team was in decline already when Ronaldo came. Khedira was done, our midfield was Pjanic and Matuidi, and a bunch of mediocrity. Buffon was leaving, Barza too. We still had Chiellini, and Benatia was a good starter, but the next in line was Rugani. Licht was gone and we were left with De Sciglio (Cuads wasn't a fullback yet). On the other side only Alex Sandro. Higuain was in big decline (as the next seasons showed), Dybala was difficult to build around (lopsided 433/442s), D. Costa came off a great season but was injury prone and Berna was a flop. We still had a pretty good Mandzukic tho.

So Ronaldo walked in on this, and our summer mercato wasn't that good. Emre Can as the only midfield signing (for free but actually for 16M lol), we brought back Bonucci who in the end cost us Benatia, so we were left with Rugani playing the biggest CL ties. Spinazzola and Cancelo were great additions but we needed a starting mid badly.

We went all in with Ronaldo, but didn't have enough chips for that. And our chips got fewer and fewer as years passed so it didn't work out. Our first year with him was our only shot really. Had that team stayed healthy, we were I think the favorites with Tottenham, Barcelona and Liverpool, of which neither looked impressive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)