no more Serie A on SCV? (5 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Sent my complaint across to Starhub.
I really hope they do something about it instead of juz pushing the responsibility around.

Created a topic at Hardware Zone as well.

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
Please excuse the language, but THIS IS FXCKING RIDICULOUS!!!!!

http://www.straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,339578,00.html?

I just got off the phone with them - useless call centre people :rolleyes: - but the more complaints they get, the better anyhow! Also, I sent them an email a few days ago and CC-ed to CASE and now I'm going to send them another one!! We'll take this to CASE if they insist on not showing Serie A this year cos it's too "costly"!! What bullshxt is that?? They can't give us lousy excuses like these and expect us to wait until NEXT season to watch Serie A on TV again!!! :fero:

But in the meantime, if anyone knows of any good streaming type thingies for this weekend, it's be great. :down:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Dammit dammit dammit :down:

Don't give up Farah, I'm definitely not going to settle for this.

I can't believe you can now get French Ligue 1, Dutch Eredivisie and even Scottish PL coverage but not Serie A :wallbang:

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
What type of excuse is this? Too costly?

The significantly higher sports programming costs will inevitably lead to higher prices for consumers, and this is something we want to avoid.

n

Our subscribers will continue to enjoy a wide variety of soccer programmes that are currently available on StarHub Digital Cable, including the World Cup Qualifiers, African Cup of Nations, FIFA U-17 World Championship, Spanish Primera Liga, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, English Premier League, Carling Cup and the upcoming 2006 FIFA World CupTM.

Some of the included competitions r not as important as compared to Serie A, yea it's another case of favouring the EPL again.

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

I can't believe you can now get French Ligue 1, Dutch Eredivisie and even Scottish PL coverage but not Serie A :wallbang:
I just sent them another email and CC-ed to CASE. Among other things, I told them, you know Serie A Highlights are on TVRI and you know die-hard Serie A fans will subscribe to TVRI just to get some ounce of Serie A action - so is this a plan to cheat your consumers into subscribing for more than they need? And I only did that because I CC-ed to CASE and I want CASE to look into it... :devil:

++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++Some of the included competitions r not as important as compared to Serie A, yea it's another case of favouring the EPL again.
I also told them that - you didn't even have the courtesy to inform your consumers about the problems in negotiations; it was only after a bunch of us made noise and the press covered the story that you come out and explain all this... but when you had problems negotiating with the EPL broadcasters last year, you sent a long apologetic letter to the subscribers about it - so are you saying Italian Serie A fans are not important enough customers for you, even though we're paying your salaries?!

Anyways, keep bugging them - call them, send them emails, and don't accept their standard replies like everyone's been getting... PRESSURISE THEM! I'm calling the Italian embassy to see if there is an Italian community we can work with on this.

Meanwhile, you guys keep bugging StarHub! Don't let them rest! :fero:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Ironic isn't it..that one of Starhub's slogans this year is More Choice...

And I can't believe they have the cheek to say that they aren't getting the rights because they want to avoid increasing prices...they probably don't want to infuriate their EPL consumers...and even after dropping Serie A the prices haven't decreased so fi tehy think I'm going to take this lying down they're badly mistaken.

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
I just wrote a reply to the StarHub letter in the ST forum on 9 Sept - do that too, write to the ST forum and reply to their letter, show them how ridiculous their letter was! :fero:

I refer to the online letter from StarHub on 9 September, ‘High costs for rights, so no Italian Serie A games’.

I find StarHub’s response to Mr. Tay and Mr. Heng’s letters unsatisfactory and demeaning to the rational consumer.

StarHub claims that “higher sports programming costs (of broadcasting Serie A matches) will lead to higher prices for consumers, and this is something we want to avoid”. However, when the programming cost of the English Premier League (EPL) significantly increased last year, StarHub didn’t broadcast the Bundesliga in place of the EPL, did they?! Is StarHub implying that Serie A fans are a less important group of customers than EPL fans, despite the fact that we all pay the same subscription fees and are, in fact, actually “subsidising” the increased cost for them?

Furthermore, when there were problems with the EPL broadcast rights last year, StarHub had the courtesy to send an apology letter explaining the situation. However, this courtesy wasn’t extended this year to Serie A fans – in fact, I wonder if StarHub would have addressed the issue at all if fans had not taken this matter up with The New Paper and Straits Times online forum.

Also, StarHub is quick to list the “wide variety of soccer programmes that are currently available” – but this is completely irrelevant to a Serie A fan! This explanation clearly displays StarHub’s lack of understanding and interest in their customers’ needs. For example, if StarHub decides to cancel SunTV from their choice of channels, will they divert SunTV subscribers to the “wide variety” of programmes available on VV Drama? I thought not!

StarHub keeps harping about not wanting to increase subscription costs, but it’s not listening to consumers who have vociferously expressed their willingness to pay more just for the sake of Serie A coverage – be it on pay-per-view or add-on channel options. StarHub seems concerned about the potential displeasure over these alternatives, yet are they aware of the many Serie A fans who silently paid for the increase in sports channel subscriptions for the past year only for the sake of Serie A coverage?

Now that this isn’t the case, am I expected to pay for sports channels with programmes I have no interest in just to wait for StarHub to resolve their problems NEXT season?

How is it that I’m actually paying more, yet receiving less football coverage in Singapore than fans in Indonesia and Malaysia who enjoy full coverage of the EPL, La Liga, and Serie A on Indosiar and Astro Super Sports respectively? How are the programming costs affordable for them, but not Singapore? Does it have something to do with the pressure provided by competitor cable operators in these countries, and not the monopoly we have here?

On its website, StarHub describes itself as a company “driven by a passion for listening and providing what customers want”. Well, we fans all want the Serie A this season. Are you listening, StarHub?

UNQUOTE

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
This is really sickening. I can't believe I couldn't watch a single Serie A game juz becos of their somewhat "considerate" reasons of "not wanting us to pay more". Stupid reason I would say. The Italian league is sacrificed becos of that and to accomodate those EPL fans.
I really got nothing to say about this, kaltz I will talk to u in PM.

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
It's so ridiculous - and the worst part is, we can't cancel our subscriptions either because we'll miss the World Cup, right? :rolleyes: I hate this situation - I hate how StarHub is being so manipulative just because they have no competition. :fero:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Those idiots at Starhub just can't get the job can they. :wallbang:

After three emails all I've gotten is a bunch fo rehashed poppycock about the same old crap.This is the third reply I got, which reads almost exactly like the other two: pure bull.
Dear Desmond

Thank you for your email on 9 September 2005.

StarHub has always been committed to bringing premium TV content at
affordable prices, and has been working dilligently to negotiate
sports programming costs within reasonable and commercially sensible
ranges. The sports programming costs have escalated over the years,
and the significantly higher sports programming costs will inevitably
lead to higher prices for consumers. We assure that this is something
we would like to avoid.

While it is unlikely that we will be airing the current season of
Italian Serie A, we will continue to negotiate with the content
provider for future seasons in our efforts to provide subscribers
with a great breadth and depth of sports programming. W will also
forward your feedback to offer Italian Serie A as a Pay Per View to
our relevant departments for considerations.

Meanwhile, we are pleased to inform that our exclusive sports
channels
will continue to provide a wide variety of soccer programmes,
including the World Cup Qualifiers, African Cup of Nations, FIFA U-17
World Championships, Spanish Primera Liga, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, UEFA
Champions League, English Premier League, Carling Cup and upcoming
2006 FIFA World Cup.

Thank you for writing in with your feedback. We look forward to your
support and wish you a good week.

Shixian

Sep 4, 2005
i hate it for not informing us of taking serie A off..i feel like a fool for flipping the schedule over and over again just not to find any serie A games..SCV sucks totally..

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
I just wrote to The New Paper again... [email protected] ... write to them and get them to cover the story again! Not that it will do any good with regards to getting StarHub to cover Serie A but we're not going down without a fight and we're going to smear the name of StarHub if nothing else for disregarding us this way! They have totally disrespected us and I feel exactly the same way as sH][x][aN! :fero:

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
A friend told me that The New Paper ran a letter at their letters page titled Bring Back Serie A.I'm getting a copy later..might that be you by any chance, Farah?

Shixian

Sep 4, 2005
great!

i thought NewPaper doesn't care about Serie A too from the fact that they seldom report on them or just have very short reports that are cut and pasted from some website. glad to see them respond to Serie A fans.

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
A friend told me that The New Paper ran a letter at their letters page titled Bring Back Serie A.I'm getting a copy later..might that be you by any chance, Farah?
Nope, not me this time :LOL: but I'm glad that other people are writing too! I'm gonna buy The New Paper later then! (I think the newspapers delete my email when they see my name these days... :D )

++ [ originally posted by sH][x][aN ] ++great!

i thought NewPaper doesn't care about Serie A too from the fact that they seldom report on them or just have very short reports that are cut and pasted from some website. glad to see them respond to Serie A fans.
In fact, The New Paper was the first to cover the story on 4 September - which is why I figured if all else fails, we can always turn to them, they always love to report on some anger and dissentment! :D

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Those idiots at Starhub just can't get the job can they. :wallbang:

After three emails all I've gotten is a bunch fo rehashed poppycock about the same old crap.This is the third reply I got, which reads almost exactly like the other two: pure bull.
Computer-generated reply I see.

sH][x][aN read ur PM as well.

At the time being, I would recommend PPLive to others.

Shixian

Sep 4, 2005
guess we have to rely on streaming nowadays..

however it might lag sometimes.. and i still prefer to watch it on tv..on the big comfy sofa! :D

kaltz

Mar 17, 2003
Lo and behold, it worked! :D

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,340587,00.html?

Keep writing to the ST forum and making them publish it! StarHub has to deal with this front on! And someone in one of the Milan forums said he spoke to an Italian restaurant owner who thinks this pressure is melting StarHub down somewhat and we will get our Serie A coverage back eventually... but again, this is no confirmation, just a rumour so don't get too excited yet... bottom line is, PILE ON THE PRESSURE!!! :devil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)