[NL] Eredivisie 2005/06 (1 Viewer)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Is any of you watching RTL5 right now? That Barbara Barends woman is driving me up the wall - jesus how dumb do they make 'em?
Must run in the family, as I can't stand Fritz Barend either.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
SC Heerenveen - Roda JC 5 - 4 (1 - 2)

:dazed: EXCELLENT match that! Huub Steevens lost it at half time :D

Good win by Feyenoord too. Sebastián Pardo :heart:

numaga

Neither promising nor young
Aug 28, 2005
Hi Folks!

Looking for the meaning of the acronym RBC Roosendaal (NL),
I did google along to this website where 'Matto' on 25 feb 2004 replies on a question, originally posted by BloodOnMoral:
"What do these club names mean ? Like Ajax, Feyenoord, NAC, NEC, ADO and other nice abraviations?"

I appreciate of course the fact that 'Matto' did dare to answer, but I regret I have to point out that his explanations in some cases aren't correct:

-Ajax Amsterdam - Ajax was a Greek hero (and villain) in the Trojan War. NOT a Greek god, as 'Matto' guesses.

NEC stands for 'Nijmegen Eendracht (=concord) Combinatie',
a fusion of two local sides (Nijmegen+Eendracht) 95 years ago. Nijmegen was NOT added to avoid confusion with rival NAC, as 'Matto' states, since NAC didn't exist, yet.

NAC Breda is a fusion ('Combinatie') of 'Noad' and 'Advendo',
which aren't producers of Sports Gear, though, but two older football clubs (sponsoring did hardly exist 1912).
The fantastic acronyms 'Noad' and 'Advendo' stand for 'Nooit Ophouden Altijd Doorgaan' (='never give up, always fight on'), resp. 'Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning'
(='agreeable because of amusement and wholesome because of relaxation').
By the way, these would be quite good names for sportswear...

The other abbreviatons I haven't checked, yet...
My advise is to log in on the football clubs' websites,
but not all clubs (e.g. RBC) care that much about their history(!).

Generally one can say that many of the oldest soccer clubs in the Netherlands took 'fine' names (like Ajax, Vitesse, Quick), which may be explained by the fact that football then was much of an upper class sport. 'Eendracht', NEC's origin, was 1900 one of the first clubs for working class people.

With sunny regards from Stockholm,
Gerard Rikken

PS: Why doesn't NEC sponsor NEC?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by numaga ] ++
I appreciate of course the fact that 'Matto' did dare to answer, but I regret I have to point out that his explanations in some cases aren't correct:
Good post. Thanks.

BTW, "Matto" is Erik's old username.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by numaga ] ++
NAC Breda is a fusion ('Combinatie') of 'Noad' and 'Advendo',
... 'Advendo' stand for... 'Aangenaam Door Vermaak En Nuttig Door Ontspanning'
(='agreeable because of amusement and wholesome because of relaxation').

That's a brilliant name for a club! Best abbreviation of the year!

AHKA

May 9, 2004
I think this season yet again PSV is the team to beat because Ajax don't have a decent striker ,Feyenoord are bound to fail and AZ will have a dip at the end of the season just like last year.
So I predict that PSV shall win the title easily this season they only have to perform in the CL.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
'Juventus may be bigger than Ajax, but the pressure on a striker is much heavier in Amsterdam. In Turin there is only pressure from outside the club.

'When I came there Fabio Capello immediately assured me I was his number one striker and that he would stick with me even during a bad spell. He gave me the feeling that I was the best in the world. I never had that feeling in Amsterdam.

'Several people in the club kept telling me what I did wrong even when I had scored one or more goals. That made me feel insecure.'

That is what Zlatan Ibrahimovic told Dutch weekly Voetbal International about his time at Ajax. This from a man voted best player in Serie A by Gazetto dello Sport recently and arguably the best foreign striker Ajax ever fielded. Yet he was deemed not good enough for them as they sold him in a hurry to Juventus on the final day of the transfer market last season.

Since the departure of Patrick Kluivert in 1997 the number nine shirt in the Amsterdam Arena has graced the shoulders of some great names of the European top scorers lists.

However, as soon as they wear the famous red and white stripes they tumble from these charts and often find themselves reminiscing over their great moments, sitting in the stands. Watching how others fail on their position.

The Ajax number nine has to finish a cross at the near post. And be the one to deliver the ball to the winger from a central position outside the box. Or make a combination with a midfielder. And don't forget to waltz through a defence occasionally.

Never mind those two central defenders whose only task it is to bury you under the ground for 90 minutes. Never mind that you used to play with two strikers in your own league. If you wear the Ajax jersey you'd better score 25 goals a season, as is a common opinion within the club once voiced by Marco van Basten.

Ah, Van Basten. Ah, Bergkamp. Those were the days. Extraordinary talents who made their way throught the youth system of the club. Both were cultivated in the Ajax style and knew instinctively what to do on the pitch. However, talent is not something that comes rolling from an assembly line.

Since the departure of Patrick Kluivert the well of homegrown strikers has dried and the club now has to buy its goals. The 25 Georgian Shota Arveladze managed in the 1997-98 season are exceptional in the past decade, where most imports have struggled to get into double figures.

Is this the result of bad scouting? In 1999 Ajax paid through the nose to get Nikos Machlas from Vitesse Arnhem, the deadly striker who scored 34 for a UEFA Cup contender. Within a year the Greek was being ridiculed by fans and spent the rest of his time in Amsterdam on the bench or in the stands.

Later Ibrahimovic struggled to get into the team, while South African Benni McCarthy was offloaded through the backdoor. Next came Wesley Sonck, a proven goalscorer in the Belgium league and for his national team. Eighteen months later he left for Borussia Mönchengladbach a broken man.

In the Belgian magazine Humo he complained about the towering expectations in the club of winning every title, cup and game, accompanied by the most elegant style in Europe.

'We all know that this is not realistic, except for the homegrown players and technical staff. They are convinced that they are up to it, although the world has changed around them since the early seventies.'

In an article in Voetbal International writer Taco van der Velde doubts if Andrey Shevchenko, Adriano or Ronaldo would make it in Amsterdam. And goalpoachers like Roy Makaay or Hernán Crespo only perform when they are at the end of an attack, not a part of it, while Thierry Henry's sensational rushes from the left normally start at a position where he is not supposed to be by Ajax law.

He'd have to stay in the centre. The three-striker system, almost written in stone in Amsterdam, has made them a golden name in world football, but when they don't have the players for it, the team struggles. It results in a lack of goals for which the striker gets the blame.

This season two Greeks and a young Swede are playing musical chairs around the single number nine shirt that is available in the Amsterdam Arena.

Angelos Charisteas came from Werder Bremen last season to replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but contributed mostly to the downfall of the man who insisted on his arrival, coach Ronald Koeman.

When the Greek scorer of the goal in the Euro 2004 final did not bang them in within a couple of weeks, the pressure on Koeman became too big. Danny Blind took over and he told back-up Yannis Anastasiou that by the summer he could go. Then the coach found out the 32-year old was a much-needed fatherly figure in the group so his contract was extended. In the meantime they did sign Markus Rosenberg of Malmö for four years.

In the March issue of World Soccer, Rosenberg had earned himself a profile on the talent scout pages, having just made his succesful debut for Sweden.

Barcelona were after him as well but he chose Ajax where he hoped to become a better player. Zlatan Ibrahimovic warned him already before the season started: 'When I had two wrong touches, fifty thousand people started to whistle. For a young player that is terrible. I hope they give Markus a chance to settle. It is close to impossible to adjust immediately to the high standard at such a level and the Ajax supporters have to understand that.'

They did not. Rosenberg was thrown in from the opening of the season and struggled to score. It did not take long before the whistles started, even though he scored that important first goal in the Champions League qualifier against Bröndby. Blind was criticised by the media for keeping faith in the Swede as 'he clearly was not Ajax material'.

At his wit's end, Blind threw in Anastasiou against FC Thun. He scored twice and saved the day. The Champions League day that is. In the league Ajax are facing a historic fourth game without a goal next weekend at NEC Nijmegen, having drawn 0-0 twice in succession at home.

The crowd had never seen that before. At least it is beginning to sink in that maybe it is the playing style that makes the Amsterdam Arena a graveyard for international strikers' reputations. Are they willing to change it? Those who follow Ajax are not so sure.

From here

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Coulda saved yourself the trouble; not that many Dutch people on these boards and even if there were - we talk about our football on the streets, if you will. Not internet forums. For some reason it just barely appeals

But I read it myself and it was interesting so thanks :)

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Chxta ] ++

'When I came there Fabio Capello immediately assured me I was his number one striker and that he would stick with me even during a bad spell. He gave me the feeling that I was the best in the world. I never had that feeling in Amsterdam.
thats interesting, innit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)