[NL] Eredivisie 2005/06 (1 Viewer)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Feyenoord are like Inter, indeed :D.

I think Ajax will only improve, after this generation (the Sneijder,Heitinga generation etc.) has moved and a new group of youngsters arises. Ajax they'll flop in the first round of the CL once again the coming season. I wonder if Danny Blind will turn out to be a good coach, as he seems to lack some authority.

By the way, I meant Van Gaal instead of Van Galen in my previous post.

Speaking of Van Galen, I think we should take him to wc06. Cult legend.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Geof

May 14, 2004
I know PSV are trying to buy Timmy Simons (plays for Bruges and Belgian NT). Feyenoord missed on him, but it seems as he's on his way to Eindhoven. What about the new swede in AJax. Rosenberg?

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Yeah, I heard the speculation, concerning Timmy Simons. I thought the majour stumbling block, which prevented Feyenoord from buying Simons was that his wages playing for Brugge are better. I wonder what PSV have to offer.

I haven't seen or heard much from this Rosenberg yet, we'll have to wait for some mini-tournaments to see him for the first time.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
PSV have more money so they can get him, if they really want to.

Yeah Rosenberg is a mistery so far!

Van Galen at the World Cup. Legendary stuff! :touched:

Geof

May 14, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Don't know him at all. Is he any good?
yeah he is. He was the most important player for Bruges. He can play DC or DMC. he is a leader and a very efficient player, very professional also.

There is also the transfer saga of Bart Goor returning to Anderlecht. The Feyenoord (ex)captain stated he wants to come back to Belgium, but feyenoord want more money (around 2.5M€).
The negociations looked to have stalled, but it seems Anderlecht made a better offer and Bart could be allowed to leave...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Brugge. It's called Brugge. Stop translating!!! :fero::D

I've heard a lot about Bart Goor's story yeah. He was already sceptical about Feyenoord's chances to win the title this year (Bartieboy, I think sceptical is 6 degrees too optimistic still :D) and then when Feyenoord failed to get Timmy Simons, he told them he wanted to leave.

I heard the problem surrounding the transfer is the fact that Feyenoord want an additional 1,5m if Anderlecht were to make it to the champions league.

So do you think Anderlecht stands a better chance of winning the Jupiler league now that Brugge have lost their coach and most important player? And what about Standard? Are they getting their act together?? I like them dammit :frown:

Geof

May 14, 2004
Brugge. It's called Brugge. Stop translating!!! :fero::D

I've heard a lot about Bart Goor's story yeah. He was already sceptical about Feyenoord's chances to win the title this year (Bartieboy, I think sceptical is 6 degrees too optimistic still :D) and then when Feyenoord failed to get Timmy Simons, he told them he wanted to leave.

I heard the problem surrounding the transfer is the fact that Feyenoord want an additional 1,5m if Anderlecht were to make it to the champions league.

So do you think Anderlecht stands a better chance of winning the Jupiler league now that Brugge have lost their coach and most important player? And what about Standard? Are they getting their act together?? I like them dammit :frown:
Standard?? they're the Inter of belgium :D, they'll win shite. Actually they have one very good player: that american DC: Onyewu. for the rest Rapaic and Sergio Conceiçao are still playing there, and there were rumours about Nuno Gomes, Tudor of even Benjamin (yeah the young Juventino), but I'm unsure if any of those deals will come through.
They were desperate of having Gerets as a coach, but he chose for the Turkish money with Galatasaray. Standard is the club of his heart and I'm confident he'll join les rouches after Galatasaray.

Brugge :)D) have lost their coach and important players (Simons to PSV and Rozehnal to PSG) , but still have a good team and managed to sign good players to replace them: Joos Valgaeren (Celtic), Gregory Dufer (Caen), Sven Vermant (Schalke 04) and a Croatian experienced midfielder, Leko, not Jerko, but another. And to replace Sollied they hired belgian legend Jan Ceulemans. He will be flanked by another ex-Club Brugge player: Franky Vander Elst.
Anderlecht on their side are struggling on the transfer front. They sold Aruna for a lame 1.5 M, and signed Serhat Akin to replace him. They missed on Silvio Proto, THE belgian star-goalkeeper of the moment, and they still haven't signed Goor.

Anyway, unless there's a big surprise, the winner will be either Brugge or Anderlecht....

EDIT: The Croatian guy is Ivan Leko

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++
Standard?? they're the Inter of belgium :D, they'll win shite. Actually they have one very good player: that american DC: Onyewu. for the rest Rapaic and Sergio Conceiçao are still playing there, and there were rumours about Nuno Gomes, Tudor of even Benjamin (yeah the young Juventino), but I'm unsure if any of those deals will come through.
They were desperate of having Gerets as a coach, but he chose for the Turkish money with Galatasaray. Standard is the club of his heart and I'm confident he'll join les rouches after Galatasaray.
Bah :( I like 'em! I'm doomed :D

What is it with teams of that category? You got Inter heading the list then there's Feyenoord, Standard... Bah

Brugge :)D) have lost their coach and important players (Simons to PSV and Rozehnal to PSG) , but still have a good team and managed to sign good players to replace them: Joos Valgaeren (Celtic), Gregory Dufer (Caen), Sven Vermant (Schalke 04) and a Croatian experienced midfielder, Leko, not Jerko, but another. And to replace Sollied they hired belgian legend Jan Ceulemans. He will be flanked by another ex-Club Brugge player: Franky Vander Elst.
Anderlecht on their side are struggling on the transfer front. They sold Aruna for a lame 1.5 M, and signed Serhat Akin to replace him. They missed on Silvio Proto, THE belgian star-goalkeeper of the moment, and they still haven't signed Goor.

Anyway, unless there's a big surprise, the winner will be either Brugge or Anderlecht....

EDIT: The Croatian guy is Ivan Leko
That's surprises me actually! I thought Anderlecht would handle that better! So Valgaeren as addition and Ceulemans as coach? That's a good record!

Geof

May 14, 2004
What is it with teams of that category? You got Inter heading the list then there's Feyenoord, Standard... Bah
I guess PSG could be added to your list. They had layers like Ronaldinho, Wiltord or Anelka in their squad and still aren't able to win anything...

These kinda clubs are a mistery to me. There must be a day when they'll win something... Hey Inter won the Coppa! but then again,... the Coppa...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I know, the Coppa... Kinda like that cup Chelsea won. I dont even remember the name :D

Standard's day will come again some time! I'm not giving up! :stuckup:
I like the city of Liège too. It's kinda like Maastricht's tough older brother.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Don't you know that belgian joke:

How can you tell a car is more than 20 years old?

It has the "STANDARD CHAMPION" sticker on it...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Voetbal International just reported that Bart Goor has been purchased by Anderlecht. There are no exact details about the transfer amount although it's been said that Anderlecht sent Timothy Derijck to the Rotterdammers as an extra addition to the money as they couldn't meet the financial limits set by Feyenoord.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Is any of you watching RTL5 right now? That Barbara Barends woman is driving me up the wall - jesus how dumb do they make 'em?

I'm not sure why I'm looking forward to AZ-Sparta... prolly because of Van Gaal, AZ's good style of play and Sparta's long awaited return in the top flight. But it won't be a very balanced match...

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Being an internationally reputed website columnist, people regularly stop me in the street or in a supermarket to ask me what my predictions for the coming season are. When I am cornered and can't run away, I firmly state that it will be PSV again this year. And, if not, then definitely Ajax or Feyenoord. And keep an eye on AZ Alkmaar as well. I won't burn my fingers on it anymore.

Last year most pundits were certain that PSV were to face an extremely difficult time. Ronald Koeman's Ajax would stroll to the title with Ruud Gullit's Feyenoord likely in its slipstream. Both coaches were sacrificed, during and immediately after the season respectively.

[Full article here]

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
file not found :(
Odd; the link works for me.

Okay, here it is in full:

Being an internationally reputed website columnist, people regularly stop me in the street or in a supermarket to ask me what my predictions for the coming season are. When I am cornered and can't run away, I firmly state that it will be PSV again this year. And, if not, then definitely Ajax or Feyenoord. And keep an eye on AZ Alkmaar as well. I won't burn my fingers on it anymore.

Last year most pundits were certain that PSV were to face an extremely difficult time. Ronald Koeman's Ajax would stroll to the title with Ruud Gullit's Feyenoord likely in its slipstream. Both coaches were sacrificed, during and immediately after the season respectively.

Meanwhile, PSV took the double and almost made it into the Champions League final. In its wake AZ came close to Champions League qualification and an UEFA Cup final as well, but an penultimate-minute goal by Sporting Lisbon in the semi-final pulled all strength out of the north Holland outfit in the remaining league games, leaving them in third place.

So this year the pundits are in a quandary whether to back Ajax again or go for the weakened PSV. Last year the southern club sold their entire strike force and now the champions have had to let their midfield go. Mark Van Bommel (Barcelona) and Johann Vogel (AC Milan) left on free transfers, while Ji-Sung Park helped the club to a considerable windfall in joining Manchester United. Timmy Simons (Club Brugge) and Mika Väyrynen (Heerenveen) replace them.

Will it be enough? At least PSV still have the Hiddink factor, which did wonders last year. Another bonus is that they have been promoted from the third to the second group in the Champions League draw, so they avoid one of two top clubs they usually encountered in the group stage, as PSV now belong among Europe's finest themselves. It may boost their confidence and ease the first months of the season a bit.

Ajax were lucky that they could sneak into the Champions League qualifiers with their end-of-season run of eight wins and AZ slipping up in the closing stages. Former talent Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburger SV) was the only player of note to leave. Promising youngsters Hedwiges Maduro and Ryan Babel made it into the first eleven, but one wonders if they can fulfil the enormous expectations.

Van der Vaart could not and Wesley Sneyder could be the next hot prospect to go bubbling under. Their latest striker Markus Rosenberg has already heard the first whistles during his debut in the World Tournament against Arsenal last week. Since Kluivert and Litmanen, a continuous range of number nine's have spearheaded the Ajax attack but few have succeeded in satisfying the home public.

Wesley Sonck and European champion Angelos Charisteas were last season's scapegoats. The latter is still around but will probably accompany his friend Yannis Anastasiou on the bench. Coming from outside the club it seems difficult to accommodate to the system Ajax plays, especially upfront. Only a few strikers that arrived without youth experience in Amsterdam have made it there.

Then we are left with the two dark horses this season. AZ saw coach Co Adriaanse leave for FC Porto, as well as right-back Jan Kromkamp move to Villareal recently. So the backbone of last season's surprise package is still there, getting their orders from Louis van Gaal now. It will be interesting to see whether the squad can endure another year with a similar coaching style.

When bullying Rinus Michels left Ajax in 1971 after winning the first European Cup, the board pulled off a masterstroke by appointing the easy and accommodative Stefan Kovacs, who just let the players do as they wanted. The team reached absurd heights and added a plethora of cups during his two year reign. It will be interesting to see what happens in Alkmaar under the reign of drill-meister Louis.

Just as exciting is life in Rotterdam, where new coach Erwin Koeman is picking up the pieces of a season with Ruud Gullit. The impressive striker Dirk Kuijt is still there, but whether quicksilver Salomon Kalou will face NAC Breda at the start of the season is extremely questionable. Kalou himself would like to play for PSV, who would not be afraid to splash a fortune on him. Feyenoord refuse to let him go.

Over the last couple of days there was mayhem in the harbour city when local paper Algemeen Dagblad claimed they had documents showing both Kalou and Kuijt were partly owned by investors and Kalou could be loaned to Benfica as a result. Feyenoord denied vigorously. Although the documents were signed by board members of the club, it now seems that the papers are fraudulent. Anyway, all is not well at De Kuip.

At least the Golden Jubilee season of the Eredivisie starts in the usual disorderly fashion with a game without spectators, as it looks at the moment. Over the years the fixture lists have been marred by local council interference, calling matches off when safety could not be guaranteed. As early as June police and mayors of every city or town with a professional football club are allowed to veto any matchday which they consider unsafe.

Reasons can vary from music festivals to horseshows and gay-parades. If they can't find enough cops to safeguard the public in and around the grounds, a date can be pulled off the game calendar. This time the KNVB administration received more than four hundred veto's, but the big football computer managed to publish a provisional fixture list at the start of July. Council and police then have a week to complain, before the list becomes official.

The mayor of Amsterdam waited another week before announcing Ajax versus ADO den Haag on the opening day was not to be. The capital's constabulary had other meetings to attend to. The KNVB however are on a tight schedule as the season ends with play-offs and the World Cup, so there was only one alternative date for the game to be played in the Amsterdam Arena: Saturday the same weekend. Veto again. Now the new regulations for these matters went in to full flow.

A reversal of the fixture to Den Haag was considered as step two, but was out of the question with the mayor of the parliamentary city. Step three: to look for a neutral ground, happy to host both teams. There were no volunteers as yet within the Dutch borders. Although this game will be played without public, there is no question that both sets of fans will travel to the location and hope to get a glimpse of the match or, even better: of each other.

As it stands now the KNVB is looking for a pitch somewhere abroad. If this does not work out, the game is off the calendar all together and both teams face a penalty of minus three points. Which makes it even more difficult for pundits. So no more predictions for me anymore, thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)