Nicola Leali (72 Viewers)

Juve Fanatico

Aug 20, 2010
Yes. Arcari came in to give him a break and then went on a crazy clean sheet run, so stayed in the team. Team first, after all. You don't change something that is working so well.
Definitely, but I don't think a keeper that participates in only one competition needs a break? Unless he was injured of course. You'd expect a goalie who is branded "the next Buffon" to start for his team, not that he's the first one to be called that, but still..

Anyways, I'm glad that we're looking for youth with great potential and that we have two promising keepers in Branescu and Leali.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't mean from a physical perspective, but from a mental one. You can expect too much from a young player by using them all the time when they are just starting out, you see errors creep in or a lack of confidence, then it is time to give them a little break.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't mean from a physical perspective, but from a mental one. You can expect too much from a young player by using them all the time when they are just starting out, you see errors creep in or a lack of confidence, then it is time to give them a little break.
Yup.

Very tough for a kid to maintain high levels of concentration for extended periods.

Exactly why it always takes longer for keepers and CBs to get the chance to play regularly.

Juve Fanatico

Aug 20, 2010
Yup.

Very tough for a kid to maintain high levels of concentration for extended periods.

Exactly why it always takes longer for keepers and CBs to get the chance to play regularly.
Makes sense, even though I'd prefer to give the youngster (that showed glimpses of his talent and what he's capable of) my trust and keep starting him even if he makes mistakes, especially if I didn't have a lot on the line.

But what do I know.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I've never understood these types of young goalkeeper signings. They usually never work out, its hard to find them a team thats willing to loan them and actually play them when they have no experience at all. And in the end big teams usually end up spending big when replacing the goalkeeper they have today.

I am John

The Anallist
May 1, 2012
I've never understood these types of young goalkeeper signings. They usually never work out, its hard to find them a team thats willing to loan them and actually play them when they have no experience at all. And in the end big teams usually end up spending big when replacing the goalkeeper they have today.
It needs a bit of luck and extraordinary talent to be a great GK. Buffon has it all and he started in Parma so young didnt he?
Well, if Leali doesnt have what Buffon has, at least he can be a decent back up for our next No.1 in the future.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
It needs a bit of luck and extraordinary talent to be a great GK. Buffon has it all and he started in Parma so young didnt he?
Well, if Leali doesnt have what Buffon has, at least he can be a decent back up for our next No.1 in the future.
By Leali's current age (19), Buffon had already played in the senior Azzurri team. He played his first senior match for Parma at 17.

kronos

Aug 16, 2011
I have in my mind Gigi will play at least till he's 40.
So this guy, however great might be, looks destined not to play for us till he's 25 unless we keep him just for the Coppa's which i find a waste of his time and talent, and our money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 72)