Nicolò Rovella (12 Viewers)

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
of course it won't be him, but we have way too many candidates, oh boy... i bet no one would mind mds, rugani or pellegrini either. i'd pick either the rennes reject or the glorified frabotta probably
We got Pellegrini in exchange for Spinazzola. It hurts so much to think what player we lost in this deal

- - - Updated - - -

Pellegrini isn't on the cl list
because he should not be.

OP
JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #305
    True, but Klopp’s never been shy about playing youngsters when the need arises.
    Yeah it's obvious that other clubs and managers do better than us but this issue has been discussed a lot, we always have a lot of experienced players, internationals, and tend to buy a lot of young players in because the ones we produce aren't often that great.

Who knows, the likes of Fagioli or Ranocchia might turn into internationals with 50 caps but the odds are against it.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
    Mar 6, 2003
    We got Pellegrini in exchange for Spinazzola. It hurts so much to think what player we lost in this deal

- - - Updated - - -
    As much as i like spinazzolla, i cant say for sure we missed a great player. Not because he is bad because he obviously isnt... but because his injuries are wayy over the op to the point is not worth having him.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
    , and tend to buy a lot of young players in because the ones we produce aren't often that great.
    I wonder why that is.

My guess is while focus on grinta and juventinita is great for an adult player, youth need to focus a lot more on technique and freedom of expression.

OP
    JuveJay

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
  • Thread Starter #308
    I wonder why that is.

My guess is while focus on grinta and juventinita is great for an adult player, youth need to focus a lot more on technique and freedom of expression.
    I think a lot of it is in firstly the model of the club and how it operates, and then the culture of developing young players. Some teams like Ajax for example are never going to lose the latter. For the former you have teams like Dortmund or the Portuguese clubs as examples. If you said to them tomorrow that they had to fight on all fronts and look to win every trophy and they have a turnover of €350m+ then their objectives and model might change, but within the club you'd still see better prospects developed than with us.

We are only a few years down the line with our current model for youth football, truth be told. We virtually abandoned it for so long, almost hoping a star would emerge from nowhere.

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
    Pretty much the only good player for Genoa against Fiorentina. Always looking to push the ball forward. Played 90 minutes. Pretty sure he leads serie A in minutes. The only way he’s not at juve next season imo is if he’s used to acquire a star level player. He’s ready. Should come back in January tbh.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
    Apparently got an assist vs Verona.
    Yes, he played full game vs Verona and he was good IMO.

In the first half he played in 4231 as a holing mid next to Badelj and our kid looked better out of the two, he definitely made less mistakes. They both have some nice understanding and linkup.

In the second half he played as LCM in 3-man midfield. Badelj was DM and Behrami RCM.

His corners and free kicks were pretty bad, I've seen much better from him tbh. Except for the one in 80th minute where he gets a nice assist from crossing into Veona's box.

In general it's clear he's growing. He sees a lot and remains super calm under pressure, he easily gets out of tight spaces with turns and good passes. Uses both feet and his passing is timely. Some nice interceptions, lots of covered ground too.
    He's still pretty smallish/weak so in general on defensive side he doesn't do too much tackling, but he's on the move all the time to put pressure or intercept the ball.

Seeing 'our' bums every three days, I'm disappointed that we have to suffer the shitshow they present, while we have someone like Rovella on our books on loan. Surely, he needs this experience, Ballardini trusts him a lot and so do his team mates who aren't afraid of passing it to him, exactly the opposite.

I really hope we recall him next Summer and include in our ranks. Style wise, you can easily dump Arthur and replace him with Rovella. Financial and sporting upgrade IMO, even if it's difficult to imagine plusvalenza on Arthur. On the other hand, I'd rather have him here than all our mids except for Locatelli. The composure and tranquility of this kid is very promising.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
    Does he play as holding mid or mezzala?
    Genoa is a mess, so he plays everything CM-related, if you know what I mean. They change formations often. For example they started with 4231 yesterday and that was weird, they always use 3 CBs. Not sure what Ballardini was thinking. Preziosi just sold the club to some American owners and it seems like there's too much enthusiasm, maybe that got into his head, lol.

Back to Rovella...
    In 3 man midfield he played some games as regista, however when Badelj is there, he's the preferred choice. I guess it comes down to age/experience/strength but also the fact Rovella can run more, he covers more ground, so he can do the mezzala thing better. That's why he often plays on either side next to Badelj.

Very often Genoa plays with two holding mids (like yesterday) and here he plays as one, again next to Badelj.

So if one asked me what he is and what he's not then I'd say he's very comfortable as a regista in 3-man-mid but also as a holding mid in 2-man-mid. He can do a mezzala/b2b but he's not adventurous enough for that IMO, however with proper polishing and trust he could improve vastly there too.

If he can transfer this tranquility here, he'll be an immediate hit, especially in comparison to all the bums we have. He sees a lot, he doesn't force things when on the ball and makes himself available to receive it all the time. One could complain that a player with his skills and abilities should make way more forward passes but that's Genoa for you, they don't commit too many players forward unless they're behind, so he does a lot of sideways/backwards passing but not "Bentancur style" aka creating opportunities for your rival.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
    Genoa is a mess, so he plays everything CM-related, if you know what I mean. They change formations often. For example they started with 4231 yesterday and that was weird, they always use 3 CBs. Not sure what Ballardini was thinking. Preziosi just sold the club to some American owners and it seems like there's too much enthusiasm, maybe that got into his head, lol.

Back to Rovella...
    In 3 man midfield he played some games as regista, however when Badelj is there, he's the preferred choice. I guess it comes down to age/experience/strength but also the fact Rovella can run more, he covers more ground, so he can do the mezzala thing better. That's why he often plays on either side next to Badelj.

Very often Genoa plays with two holding mids (like yesterday) and here he plays as one, again next to Badelj.

So if one asked me what he is and what he's not then I'd say he's very comfortable as a regista in 3-man-mid but also as a holding mid in 2-man-mid. He can do a mezzala/b2b but he's not adventurous enough for that IMO, however with proper polishing and trust he could improve vastly there too.

If he can transfer this tranquility here, he'll be an immediate hit, especially in comparison to all the bums we have. He sees a lot, he doesn't force things when on the ball and makes himself available to receive it all the time. One could complain that a player with his skills and abilities should make way more forward passes but that's Genoa for you, they don't commit too many players forward unless they're behind, so he does a lot of sideways/backwards passing but not "Bentancur style" aka creating opportunities for your rival.
    If he is doing good in a mess then he definitely can do well here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)