Nick Against the World (95 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Andy said:
Italy winning the World Cup is probably my second choice to my United States surprisingly and perhaps absurdly lifting the trophy, however this World Cup was somewhat spoiled by the embarrassing refereeing. Looking back over the course of the last month, the Azzurri found themselves deservedly at the top of Group C, stumbling somewhat against the Australians, emphatically blowing out the Ukranians, and heroically tossing Beckenbauer's losels out of the tournament. While France was the better side for parts of the Final, Italy still held strong on the frontlines while fighting back after the ridiculous yet deceiving acting of Malouda.

Not bad when the entire country is in the midst of a football scandal. Not bad when the players of the nation reside at the clubs in question of said scandal. There is no question Cannavaro deserved to lift the trophy yesterday, for all of Italy and Azzurri fans to see, and so passionately feel.

World Cup 2006 might not have been very successful for my country, however it pleases me to see a team filled with classy professionals such as Cannavaro and Zambrotta lifting the cup in the midst of such controversy. But it's even somewhat tear-jerking for me to hear this World Cup win dedicated to Gianluca Pessotto.

Well done Italia and congrats to all their fans.
I look at the refereeing of the World Cup as a comparison to the moderation of this forum. At first everyone was getting warnings galore, new threads shut down all day. After a while the new mods chilled out and everything is cool. Which is what happened in the cup. The later rounds were officiated very well. It shouldn't be like that, but such is life.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Enron said:
I look at the refereeing of the World Cup as a comparison to the moderation of this forum. At first everyone was getting warnings galore, new threads shut down all day. After a while the new mods chilled out and everything is cool. Which is what happened in the cup. The later rounds were officiated very well. It shouldn't be like that, but such is life.
I will agree that cooler heads prevailed, and the enjoyment of the matches improved as the players did their thing and the refs became less celebrities in their own right.

And gotta hand it to the Germans, though. While I wasn't there to see it in person, they seem to have put on some excellent games as hosts -- refereeing aside. :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 95)