Nick Against the World (146 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not a big fan of the documentary. This guy fucks up in quite a number of ways. His cause is noble, but he's hardly doing it the right way IMO. BTW I think it's all the coke that is causing the stomach pain he's been suffering from since day one. The fastfood industry really looks totally different in America though :).
He expanded the concept to an, IMO, flawed but watchable TV series called 30 Days here.

http://www.juventuz.com/forum/showthread.php?p=739650#post739650

Well, there has got to be an explanation for that. And I don't buy that it is simply all the advertising you are getting. How come Americans and Europeans differ?

Dear god, this guy is eating fastfood for a couple of weeks and he's dying.
The explanation is that the U.S. got a head start on sedentary lifestyles and the mass production of bad food with ghetto-fabulous flavor. The difference from Europe is that Europe is simply behind on the same trendline. The UK is coming up fast, and most others are following in lock step.

(Kind of like the European trendline that made you just discover this movie when we were discussing his follow-up shows, like 30 Days, almost two years ago. ;))

If you can't cram it down your gullet in mass quantities, then it probably doesn't exist. America is the home of the Gluttons.
Mothers once told their children to never eat anything bigger than your head. In America today, they make a real effort not to serve anything smaller than your head.

It's called "value".... followed by the obligatory "fatass!".

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Thanks to you guys we most probably will escape the consequences though :D.

I've never been a fan of fastfood myself. I just don't like it.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
The explanation is that the U.S. got a head start on sedentary lifestyles and the mass production of bad food with ghetto-fabulous flavor. The difference from Europe is that Europe is simply behind on the same trendline. The UK is coming up fast, and most others are following in lock step.
Which means thousands of Americans die due to fastfood, Europe sees it and Holland introduces Znek :strong:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
...(blah)... but we can't imagine your report totalling to less than 25 pages.

That's odd, I certainly can.

God I hate those assignments that are written in a combined bossy/friendly style :lazy:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Which means thousands of Americans die due to fastfood, Europe sees it and Holland introduces Znek :strong:

lol. When you said "Europe sees it and Holland introduces.." I thought of Quick, that dreadful French fast food chain. They try to compete with MacDonalds and they totally fall on their ass, how hard is it to make hamburgers?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
lol. When you said "Europe sees it and Holland introduces.." I thought of Quick, that dreadful French fast food chain. They try to compete with MacDonalds and they totally fall on their ass, how hard is it to make hamburgers?
For the French? Probably a lot more difficult than for anyone else. They do eat snails after all.

Holland of course doesn't have a national cuisine at all so anything goes. Hence the snackbars and Albert Heijn...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
For the French? Probably a lot more difficult than for anyone else. They do eat snails after all.

Holland of course doesn't have a national cuisine at all so anything goes. Hence the snackbars and Albert Heijn...
Ever tried buying fish at AH? It's impossible. They have like 4 products in the whole store.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I found cod at their shop once... Didn't look too good though. But I've only lived in Middelburg and The Hague, both of which are directly located at the sea so I wouldn't buy my fish in the supermarket.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I would. I can't stomach fish markets. Back in Norway it was simple, buy frozen fish, fry it, done. You could go native, buy fish from the docks, gut it yourself, season with all kinds of spices and cook it. But who the hell wants to do that? It takes 2 hours.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
French marchers say 'non' to 2007

The demonstrators took French restiveness to extremes
Hundreds of protesters in France have rung in the New Year by holding a light-hearted march against it.

Parodying the French readiness to say "non", the demonstrators in the western city of Nantes waved banners reading: "No to 2007" and "Now is better!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6222153.stm

===

awesome :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I would. I can't stomach fish markets. Back in Norway it was simple, buy frozen fish, fry it, done. You could go native, buy fish from the docks, gut it yourself, season with all kinds of spices and cook it. But who the hell wants to do that? It takes 2 hours.
Fish markets are awful. I meant the fish stands you have all over town (well all most towns anyway):

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Theirs are just as good as the ones you get at McDonald's IMO.

Then again, I don't like either :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 146)