News that makes you say WTF! (8 Viewers)

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Freedom of speech doesn't exist. If I verbally insult a person and they attack me, I will be reprimanded in a court of law and my attacker will get a more lenient punishment. The question then is what is classed as so provocative that will illicit a violent response and is that a violation of freedom of speech? Nothing makes the murders valid but don't believe this freedom is true. When the Saudi Prince dices up a journalist in a embassy and Putin Novichocks the whole of Salisbury and a rival politician its nothing but old news. Think about who did the crime, calculated and cold in comparison to these brainwashed fuckers who are very angry and triggered.

Some of the responses to my comments saying Muslims going back to places of no freedom of speech are very telling. The assumption is being made that the religion is dictating the politics and that isn't true. There are no countries that are run by Islamic law, those thinking that flogging for adultery are legitimate rules they are wrong. People are people, living under any regime will shape the mindset of the population.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
What I do find odd is that millions of Muslims are held in "working camps" and "re-education centers" in China and we hear nothing. but a carton is a just cause to behead a random person in the street.

Freedom of speech doesn't exist. If I verbally insult a person and they attack me, I will be reprimanded in a court of law and my attacker will get a more lenient punishment. The question then is what is classed as so provocative that will illicit a violent response and is that a violation of freedom of speech? Nothing makes the murders valid but don't believe this freedom is true. When the Saudi Prince dices up a journalist in a embassy and Putin Novichocks the whole of Salisbury and a rival politician its nothing but old news. Think about who did the crime, calculated and cold in comparison to these brainwashed fuckers who are very angry and triggered.

Some of the responses to my comments saying Muslims going back to places of no freedom of speech are very telling. The assumption is being made that the religion is dictating the politics and that isn't true. There are no countries that are run by Islamic law, those thinking that flogging for adultery are legitimate rules they are wrong. People are people, living under any regime will shape the mindset of the population.
Freedom of speech absolutely does exist.
There is not such thing as a right to not be offended in a western society, being offended is a personal choice.

And there are many countries that are run by Islamic law, Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania to name a few.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and there are no consequences, it means you have the right to say it, just as someone has the right to respond. If they feel the need to punch you in the face as the response then you can respond in kind, and eventually that will then be dealt with according to the judicial system of that country or state.

Governments draw up laws restricting things like hate speech or speech that might incite violence. So you can say what you want, provided it is not illegal in the place you live. I'm sure many Muslims may argue that what the likes of Charlie Hebdo do is hate speech, Islamophobia and so on, but CH will (and do) say that they are only targeting the extreme fringe. CH cannot draw whatever they want, that has never been the case, if they break French laws then they go to court.

Someone like Frankie Boyle springs to mind when I think about black comedy or satire. He seems like a cock and is used to people telling him, he's probably been assaulted more than once, but he's a funny cock. As long as he doesn't say something that you can identify with and hurts your feelings...suddenly you can't take it any more. Charlie Hebdo know they are going to offend some people, they plan on it to draw interest and revenue, but some will find it funny and others will want to talk about it. Imagine they take Islam completely off the table because Muslim conservatives are the people most easily offended. What next? Judaism? Christianity? Minorities? Women?

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
What I do find odd is that millions of Muslims are held in "working camps" and "re-education centers" in China and we hear nothing. but a carton is a just cause to behead a random person in the street.

There is not such thing as a right to not be offended in a western society, being offended is a personal choice.

And there are many countries that are run by Islamic law, Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Mauritania to name a few.
Only minorities have freedom of speech in western society.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019

I disagree, freedom of speech is freedom to insult and its a grey area which is the problem. Because of the BLM movement, statues are being removed and universities and what not are being renamed because black people have hurt feelings. The flip side to that is white supremacists may simply say that 'blacks do most of the crime' on Twitter and end up in front of a judge. It's simply a political tool, not an actual freedom of anything.

Regarding Islamic countries, none run proper Islamic laws but instead they have selected interpretations of what they think is Islamic law.

@JuveJay
I totally understand what you say but the end result of CH pushing the extremists was murder so why take that chance? It wasn't a victory to freedom of speech but the death of innocents.

The reaction to Macron's comments were overblown, people wasting their time protesting over his opinion but the CH was perfect ammunition for these people, they lapped it up and given legs to these attacks going on all over Europe.

Last edited:

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
I disagree, freedom of speech is freedom to insult and its a grey area which is the problem. Because of the BLM movement, statues are being removed and universities and what not are being renamed because black people have hurt feelings. The flip side to that is white supremacists may simply say that 'blacks do most of the crime' on Twitter and end up in front of a judge. It's simply a political tool, not an actual freedom of anything.
Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, and absolutely a freedom to insult as well, nothing grey about it.

BLM has nothing to do with freedom of speech, they are a political movement, removing of statues and such is just pandering to the victimhood mentality mob. And I'm pretty sure that saying any kind of shit on tweeter will never put you in front of a judge, have no idea where you got this impression from. if anything tweeter itself is a bigger danger to free speech then any other government.

Regarding Islamic countries, none run proper Islamic laws but instead they have selected interpretations of what they think is Islamic law.
All Islamic law can ever be is an interpretation so your point is mute.

No one ever ran a proper communist country as well but we don't say that there are non

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
@Mokku

in most developed countries you can insult someone all you want. If they decide to hit you, they’re the only ones that get in trouble, you have it wrong on your previous post.

I mean we have a president that insults people non stop.

I can call someone a shrimp dick fag and while it would be mean and could result in consequences down the road, it wouldn’t be grounds for arrest or fines

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

There's a balance here. There's the old story of yelling "fire" in a theater, of course.

But a good example of freedom of speech should embody the ability to say, "Our political leaders seem to be defrauding us and we must hold them to account." If you cannot object to the people who run the daily operations of your lives, then yes, you have no freedom of speech.

And I am the first person to buy into the argument that the goodness of any political system depends on the people in power. You could have merciful communism, a gracious dictator, or the most corrupt crony democracies. The political system is not inherently good or evil ... primarily it's the people who implement it.

You hear nothing. I hear updates at least weekly.

But also beware the motivations of your issue allies. Trump will call most of the Muslim world unwashed thugs and terrorists. But when it's convenient to his China politics, suddenly he's a bleeding heart for the freedom of Uyghur muslims.

i wish more people would make fun of kids with cancer.
Now we're talking!!

So Giovinco can then go around beheading people?
:lol:

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
You hear nothing. I hear updates at least weekly.

But also beware the motivations of your issue allies. Trump will call most of the Muslim world unwashed thugs and terrorists. But when it's convenient to his China politics, suddenly he's a bleeding heart for the freedom of Uyghur muslims.
I wasn't clear, I meant I hear nothing about Muslims blowing up Chinese embassies and such.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I wasn't clear, I meant I hear nothing about Muslims blowing up Chinese embassies and such.
An honest question: do you trust China to report that?

They could as justification for a crackdown. But they’re pretty private about “internal affairs”.

Jul 2, 2006
Australian 'war crimes': Elite troops killed Afghan civilians, report finds
There is "credible evidence" that Australian elite soldiers unlawfully killed 39 people during the Afghan war, a long-awaited report has found.
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has released findings from a four-year inquiry into misconduct by its forces.
It said 19 current or ex-special forces soldiers should be investigated by police over killings of "prisoners, farmers or civilians" in 2009-13.
The ADF blamed crimes on an unchecked "warrior culture" among some soldiers.
The inquiry - conducted by Maj Gen Justice Paul Brereton - conducted interviews with more than 400 witnesses. It also found evidence that:
  • Junior soldiers were told to get their first kill by shooting prisoners, in a practice known as "blooding"
  • Weapons and other items were planted near Afghan bodies to cover up crimes
  • An additional two incidents could constitute a war crime of "cruel treatment"
Afghanistan said it had been assured by Australia that it was committed to "ensuring justice".
Samantha Crompvoets, an academic who carried out the initial research into the incidents, told the BBC they were "deliberate, repeated and targeted war crimes" and said she felt vindicated by the report.
Australia has had forces in Afghanistan since 2002, following the overthrow of the Taliban, as part of a US-led coalition. Initially the international forces' role was to train Afghan troops but they became increasingly involved in fighting insurgents.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54996581

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)