News that makes you say WTF! (24 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Exactly. And while Fred may be right in that a whole lot of new jobs will be created, it is very difficult to see where and when. And the reality is that they might even not be created at all.
That's very possible, and you are right about automation. It's happening anywhere from food service to consultancy. We would need something ground-breaking such as the development of the personal computer to create new jobs to replace the old. The majority of manufacturing jobs will be outsourced by technology as well. But from experience, one thing that will not go away are customer service jobs -- people hate talking to machines no matter how articulate they are.

I also disagree with your analysis on HR positions. All large companies need to have an HR team. If I had to manage all facets of benefit inquiries and time-off scenarios from my team, I wouldn't get anything done. You also need HR to step in to protect employees in one way or another.

If you want an example of useless industries, look no further than agencies such as the TSA and private contractors within the military/security complex. Many of them are completely worthless surveillance jobs or administering contracts for said jobs. Completely worthless and doesn't create any value for anyone besides those owners of the contracts.

- - - Updated - - -

Good news for oil prices, bad news for the economy.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-12/something-very-strange-taking-place-coast-galveston

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Movember is on its arse here too, although I often have a bit of a 'tache going on anyway so it makes no difference.

A boyfriend of a friend was diagnosed with testicular cancer a few days ago aged 28 (pretty normal age for it), so I kind of endorse the article, even if some good goes towards it. But what isn't turning into an Instagram jerkoff contest these days?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)