News that makes you say WTF! (19 Viewers)

Alex-444

Sep 5, 2005
http://www.france24.com/en/20141026-hungarian-protesters-urge-pm-orban-scrap-internet-tax/
BUDAPEST (AFP) -

More than 10,000 people marched in Budapest on Sunday to demand the scrapping of a proposed tax on Internet usage that critics of Prime Minister Viktor Orban call his latest anti-democratic measure.

"There will be no Internet tax... we will block it," organiser Balazs Gulyas told the crowd to cheers.

"If the tax is not scrapped within 48 hours, we will be back again," he said.

The crowd held smartphone torches aloft outside the economy ministry in an echo of recent pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, and held signs with slogans such as "Free Wifi! Free Internet! Free Hungary!"

Announcing the levy last Tuesday, Economy Minister Mihaly Varga said the tax -- 150 forints (0.50 euros, $0.61) on each transferred gigabyte of data -- was needed to help shore up the 2015 budget of one of the EU's most indebted nations.

He also said the tax was fair because it was a shift away from phone lines and to the Internet.

Orban has been accused of flirting with authoritarianism, and organisers told AFP they believed the tax was aimed at restricting government critics who mainly use online media.

Others are concerned it will hurt small businesses and make it harder for people, particularly in poor areas, to access information and educational material.

"This is a backward idea, when most countries are making it easier for people to access the Internet," Judit Nagy-Korsa, 55, told AFP.

The tax has also triggered alarm in Brussels. Neelie Kroes, the EU's digital chief, tweeted that it was "a shame for users and a shame for the Hungarian government".

Orban's Fidesz party later proposed capping the monthly payment at 700 forints (2.3 euros, $3) for consumers and 5,000 forints for businesses, but the move has failed to calm anger.

"Orban, get lost!" chanted the crowd as it marched down the main boulevard of the capital after the rally.

The powerful Orban, 51, reelected with a second consecutive two-thirds majority in April, has faced unusual pressure in recent days after the United States issued entry bans on several government officials over suspected corruption.

The top US diplomat in Budapest warned Friday that "negative trends" such as a weakening of the rule of law and intimidation of civil society had "rapidly taken hold" in Hungary.

Among the protestors Sunday, several people held EU and US flags as well as signs reading "Mafia Government".

Jul 2, 2006
Paris Opera cast refuse to perform for veiled woman

A woman wearing a full-face veil is told to leave a performance of La Traviata at the Opéra Bastille after the production refuse to go on stage

A woman wearing a full-face Islamic veil was told to leave a Paris opera house after members of the cast refused to perform if she remained in the audience, officials said.

The woman, described as “a tourist from a Gulf state”, was sitting on the front row during a performance of La Traviata at the Opéra Bastille, the deputy director, Jean-Philippe Thiellay, said.

France banned the wearing of the full-face veil, or niqab, in public in 2011. The ban was upheld by the European Court of Human Rights earlier this year.

Mr Thiellay said performers told him during the second act that they would only continue if the woman left. During the interval, an attendant told her that she could stay if she removed her veil.

"He told her that in France there is a ban of this nature, asked her to either uncover her face or leave the room,” Mr Thiellay said. “The man asked the woman to get up, they left."

He added: "It's never nice to ask someone to leave. But there was a misunderstanding of the law and the lady either had to respect it or leave."

After news of the incident, which happened earlier this month, emerged on Monday, the government said it would review its guidelines to help theatres, museums and other public institutions enforce the ban.

Women wearing a face veil in public may be fined up to €150 (£120) and compelled to attend citizenship classes. Anyone forcing others to cover their faces may be fined up to €30,000 (£23,750), or double that amount if the woman is under 18.

Most women who have breached the ban have simply been warned and few have been prosecuted.

Last year, a veiled woman stopped by police for an identity check was arrested after her husband allegedly attacked an officer. The incident sparked clashes between youths and police in two Paris suburbs.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-cast-refuse-to-perform-for-veiled-woman.html

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Good riddance. The Niqab is an absolute disgusting piece of 'cloth'.

Ironic that Turk says what the fuck to someone not following the laws of a country.

Typical muslim lunatic: My rules apply to you, but your rules does not apply to me. The Muhammed Cartoons the Greatest Example.

Jul 2, 2006
Good riddance. The Niqab is an absolute disgusting piece of 'cloth'.

Ironic that Turk says what the fuck to someone not following the laws of a country.

Typical muslim lunatic: My rules apply to you, but your rules does not apply to me. The Muhammed Cartoons the Greatest Example.
Do you respect Islamic law, why should i respect theirs? Snake with many faces, that is what they are. Their speech of democracy, freedom and modernity is just a smokescreen for their malice.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Do you respect Islamic law, why should i respect theirs? Snake with many faces, that is what they are. Their speech of democracy, freedom and modernity is just a smokescreen for their malice.
I see you didn't get the memo. I respect the laws of the countries I visit and so should this niqab wearing woman. It's simple.

Do you understand it now? Or do I need to be even more pedagogical?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
So you didn't understand it or just refused to. Lovely double standards. Not that any one on this board didn't already know it, but it's always nice to be reaffirmed about your true colours of hatred, spite and delusion.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I have always hated hypocrisy, dishonesty and impudence. They don't have half of the tolerance of Muslims have for non-Muslims in their countries, yet they still manage to portray Muslims as bad guys of the universe.
Well, that's ironic coming from someone liek you who supports the lieks of IS.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I have always hated hypocrisy, dishonesty and impudence. They don't have half of the tolerance of Muslims have for non-Muslims in their countries, yet they still manage to portray Muslims as bad guys of the universe.
If gay people hold hands in some places where sharia law exist, they get jailed. How's that for hypocrisy?

And again, in most places around the world, religion is not a factor when it comes to the laws they have. France didn't come up with the rule to spite Muslims. Not everything is about your dear religion or anyone else's.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
If gay people hold hands in some places where sharia law exist, they get jailed. How's that for hypocrisy?

And again, in most places around the world, religion is not a factor when it comes to the laws they have. France didn't come up with the rule to spite Muslims. Not everything is about your dear religion or anyone else's.

i wouldnt be so sure about that :p

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
It's kind of strange that some people cannot get that in some people lives religion has such a small part or none at all that the decisions they make have nothing to do with religious matters at all.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
i wouldnt be so sure about that :p
You may be right. The French are natural assholes. Platini being a current example. :D

- - - Updated - - -

It's kind of strange that some people cannot get that in some people lives religion has such a small part or none at all that the decisions they make have nothing to do with religious matters at all.
I really want you to toss my salad but my God says it's not the right thing to do :sad:

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Be more pedowhatever.

This is a law contradicting their claim of being a super modern democratic nation. They keep saying that Muslims are oppressing their women while they are doing the same thing in a different way.
I somewhat agree. But who is more/less in the right? The people demanding she cant or the people forcing her or other women to wear it? Stop acting like you're always 100% right you fucking zealot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)