New smoking ban in Italy (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by *aca* ] ++
i think that all these smoking bans are horse arse bans:rollani:

"we know that smoking is bad for you, but it brings us shit loads of money. So what we gonna do, we gonna bullshit around being tough on cigarettes while we still fill up goverment bags with money (because we know that smokers are addicted and will keep on smoking..hahahah suckers)

If they are really seriously interested in anyone's health, they would ban them alltohether. Make them illegal. Close tha factories.
Prohibition doesn't work. I hasn't killed Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstacy, Cannibas, anything. Think of the famous alcohol prohibition in the US all those years ago. Convincing people that it's uncool to smoke, now that'll stop it dead. Of course, it does bugger-all for the guys already hooked on it, but I can see it already in Ireland - it's socially unacceptable to smoke.

As I said earlier:
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
... governments putting incentives in place to stop people picking up smoking (and that's what this is really about) strikes me as a good thing.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
I will mention one more thing about goverment: they speak so loudly in public about negative effects of smoking, they convince people to give up smoking, and what do they do in private? most of them does smoke.

Another example, even worse: we have such world-famous cardiosurgeon, he is a huge authority in this matter. He keeps saying all time, how smoking is bad and unhealthy, showing that on some hearts and lungs. But of course he keeps smoking... about 2 packs per days, so it's about 40 cigarettes per day.

So how those people are able to stop other people smoking? They are not.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #64
    Even if you argue that their credibility is undermined because they're smokers, then at least the measures introduced can prevent kids from starting.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    Somehow I doubt it: if cigarettes are everywhere and most people around those kids smokes, there is no way you can prevent kids from starting.
    A) Make sure that they're not everywhere: hence the public smoking ban.
    B) Make sure that it's not fashionable to start: hence the public smoking ban.

You can't seriously be criticising a man adicted to a drug considered as adictive as heroin for being unable to give up for trying to stop kids taking it up in the first place? Come on, replace "smoking" with "taking hard drugs" in you post and ask yourself if it doesn't sound a little stupid.

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
    Jan 14, 2005
    Who cares if people smoke and kill themselves of kill their kids? Not my or your problem. As long as they dont bug me with it im happy.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Blandest ] ++
    Who cares if people smoke and kill themselves of kill their kids? Not my or your problem. As long as they dont bug me with it im happy.
    An 8-year-old kid was abducted and murdered in Cork, in the south of Ireland about a fortnight ago. I'm a bit big for anyone to be kidnapping me now, but I still want the bastard caught. Call it social responsibility.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #69
    ++ [ originally posted by Blandest ] ++
    Which is exactly where the problem lies. Had I never been bugged by them I wouldn't care at all.

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
    Jan 14, 2005

An 8-year-old kid was abducted and murdered in Cork, in the south of Ireland about a fortnight ago. I'm a bit big for anyone to be kidnapping me now, but I still want the bastard caught. Call it social responsibility.
    Was the kidnapper smoking at the time? I dont get the connection.

Martin, yeah I was just saying thats the only reason I want it banned in public. Cant say I care who dies from it. Unless its me, oh then im gonna be majorly annoyed.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #71
    Exactly, I don't have John's social conscience, my motivation to ban smoking is 100% self interest. I don't care if you're on an all MacDonald's diet or you wash down the morning fruit salad with gasoline, it doesn't affect me.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Exactly, I don't have John's social conscience, my motivation to ban smoking is 100% self interest. I don't care if you're on an all MacDonald's diet or you wash down the morning fruit salad with gasoline, it doesn't affect me.
    How would you feel if those same people were feeding their kids gasoline? I draw a line between harming oneself and harming kids.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #73
    Well actually that was a slight exaggeration for Riv's benefit. But you have a point there, John. As long as it affects not just the consumer but also related consumers, it's a problematic issue.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

A) Make sure that they're not everywhere: hence the public smoking ban.
    B) Make sure that it's not fashionable to start: hence the public smoking ban.

You can't seriously be criticising a man adicted to a drug considered as adictive as heroin for being unable to give up for trying to stop kids taking it up in the first place? Come on, replace "smoking" with "taking hard drugs" in you post and ask yourself if it doesn't sound a little stupid.

Erm... did we suddenly changed the topic if this conversation, that you brought here those "hard drugs"? Smoking and taking hard drugs are two very different things, so bringing it here just like that is a little... weird.

I think that you missed my point... if you read my first post here, that longer one, I was saying in general, that people who smoke are absolutely unreliable, when they keep saying: dont smoke, cause this is bad. Also I didnt mention any kids there, cause goverment and professor speak to smoking people, not kids. So do you think, that such addicted guy, who cant give up smoking, is able to convince other smokers to leave it? No.

About those kids, you want to talk about: I dont criticise him, that he TRIES to prevent them from smoking, but it doesnt work, when he tries to convince them: he is unreliable again.

I think that you trust in this public smoking ban like in cure to everything. It helps: 1) to prevent smokers from more smoking, 2) people who occasionally smoke (or would like to try to) from getting cigarettes easily, 3) non-smokers from smoke.
    But it doesnt prevent kids from smoking as much as you would like to see that, cause of one simple reason: smoking starts in family, in home. When both parents smoke, there is a huge possibilty, that kids will be smoking in the future, cause this is part of the culture he was upbringing in. When both parents dont smoke: there is the huge possibilty, that their kids wont be smoking (maybe occasionally, or just to try to, or for some time as show off teenagers).

But that the thing you've written as B is very accurate: it shouldnt be fashionable to start, cause so many younger people start smoking, cause this is so cool. So maybe, if smoking stop be so cool thing, you can prevent more kids from smoking.

Turdhead

Chickenegro no funny
    Jan 14, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Well actually that was a slight exaggeration for Riv's benefit. But you have a point there, John. As long as it affects not just the consumer but also related consumers, it's a problematic issue.
    So you assume im River. Interesting :D

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002

Prohibition doesn't work. I hasn't killed Cocaine, Heroin, Ecstacy, Cannibas, anything. Think of the famous alcohol prohibition in the US all those years ago. Convincing people that it's uncool to smoke, now that'll stop it dead. Of course, it does bugger-all for the guys already hooked on it, but I can see it already in Ireland - it's socially unacceptable to smoke.
    my post was ment to sound sarcastic :frown:

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    Erm... did we suddenly changed the topic if this conversation, that you brought here those "hard drugs"? Smoking and taking hard drugs are two very different things, so bringing it here just like that is a little... weird.

I think that you missed my point... if you read my first post here, that longer one, I was saying in general, that people who smoke are absolutely unreliable, when they keep saying: dont smoke, cause this is bad. Also I didnt mention any kids there, cause goverment and professor speak to smoking people, not kids. So do you think, that such addicted guy, who cant give up smoking, is able to convince other smokers to leave it? No.

About those kids, you want to talk about: I dont criticise him, that he TRIES to prevent them from smoking, but it doesnt work, when he tries to convince them: he is unreliable again.

I think that you trust in this public smoking ban like in cure to everything. It helps: 1) to prevent smokers from more smoking, 2) people who occasionally smoke (or would like to try to) from getting cigarettes easily, 3) non-smokers from smoke.
    But it doesnt prevent kids from smoking as much as you would like to see that, cause of one simple reason: smoking starts in family, in home. When both parents smoke, there is a huge possibilty, that kids will be smoking in the future, cause this is part of the culture he was upbringing in. When both parents dont smoke: there is the huge possibilty, that their kids wont be smoking (maybe occasionally, or just to try to, or for some time as show off teenagers).

But that the thing you've written as B is very accurate: it shouldnt be fashionable to start, cause so many younger people start smoking, cause this is so cool. So maybe, if smoking stop be so cool thing, you can prevent more kids from smoking.
    The fact that smoking carries with it a stigma and is generally discuraged is what makes it appealing to youth. Furthermore, not all smokers tell kids not to smoke. I would never do such a thing and to so blatantly attmept to draw a conclusion for someone else is a terrible thing to do.

I think that people who smoke and who do not accept the related health risks are foolish. I smoke, but I do not wish to quit and I do not assume that it will not have ill affects to my health. Basically, if you're not okay with getting cancer, enphasema, etc. then you shouldn't smoke. However, if you don't fear death or disease, as modern society would tell you to, and you enjoy smoking, then I think that it's wrong for people to try to prevent you from doing as such.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Now the Italians will feel what it's like to live in the state of NY.

But it's a good thing.

1. We- smokers- smoke a lot less
    2. It's much easier to start a conversation with a woman when you're in this "smokers only" environment (outside in a designated area)
    3. But the best part is when you get home- your shirt, sweater, pants DO NOT HAVE any SIGARETTE STINK!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)