New server online :) (2 Viewers)

OP
Marty

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #44
    Wouldn't it be better to take the forum offline and THEN syncing the servers so that there's no missing posts like the last time?
    Think you misunderstood. :)

I'm syncing the harddrives on the new server as they're in RAID1, which means they are two mirrored harddrives for increased performance. The data is written and read from both harddrives - there's exactly the same data on both drives.

That also means that if one harddrive gets a failure, it can be replaced without any loss of data. Should that happen you simply replace the faulty harddrive with a new one and resync them (mirror the data from the other harddrive).

Anyway, I'm ranting. :p

* goes back into cave *

Apr 15, 2006
    Think you misunderstood. :)

I'm syncing the harddrives on the new server as they're in RAID1, which means they are two mirrored harddrives for increased performance. The data is written and read from both harddrives - there's exactly the same data on both drives.

That also means that if one harddrive gets a failure, it can be replaced without any loss of data. Should that happen you simply replace the faulty harddrive with a new one and resync them (mirror the data from the other harddrive).

Anyway, I'm ranting. :p

* goes back into cave *
    I know about RAID. But didn't know the exact process of setting them up, at least on a server scale. So none of the data from the current server is being moved to the new one? Cool with me.

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #46
    I know about RAID. But didn't know the exact process of setting them up, at least on a server scale. So none of the data from the current server is being moved to the new one? Cool with me.
    :sergio:

The data isn't moved until the server is completely setup. :p

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    You don't want to do downtime all the time. Sometime you can do a load and then a final, faster incremental before the switchover to minimize the downtime.

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #49
    Yeah we've had enough downtimes. :p

* I'll move over all the data (actual files, database, mail accounts etc) and check so that it's working on the new server.
    * Then I'll put the forums offline here, make a database backup and transfer that over to the new server (should take about 15 minutes, both servers are on 100Mbit/s connections)
    * Then import the database on the new server and enable the forums on the new server as well.
    * Then make the DNS changes for the domain and people will pop up at the new server once their DNS resolves (will be anything from 5 minutes to 24 hours depending on ISP)
    * And finally I'll be posting a little message on the old site that the forum has been moved to a new server with directions on how they can change their hosts file to access the new server immediately.

Easy :)

Albo

Apr 13, 2009
    What :| - 24 GB Ram wow .

Can i know how mutch does it coust i have bought windows server 2008 , but no firewall installed so i could not hosted my site there .

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #59
    It's not uncommon with 12-24 GB RAM for servers these days, at least not for the high-end ones. RAM is relatively cheap today if you compare it to 3-4 years ago (by that I mean how much you need to run a big site with lots of mysql queries)

I'm actually renting the server hardware (dedicated server) through a hosting company, I have no idea how much the parts cost though but I'm paying a monthly fee for the server and traffic so I guess it covers the setup fees (I paid some setup fees though) plus traffic. Yeah it's not cheap :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)