New Juve scandal: Moggi talking to referees (19 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Italian scandal widens - AP

Referee assignments negotiated over the phone. Pressure on the Italy coach to pick certain players. The resignation of the head of the Italian federation and the entire board of one of Europe's elite clubs. Paramilitary police searching the federation's offices.

Italian football was in turmoil as the scandal rocking the country's favorite sport and its most successful team - Juventus - spread to other Serie A clubs, federation officials and possibly a World Cup referee and a key Italy player.

It may be the biggest scandal yet in a country where doping trials, shaky finances and betting rings have tested the fans' love of the game for decades. It could even cost Italy its goalkeeper, Gianluigi Buffon, who has been implicated in the case less than a month before the start of the World Cup in Germany.

"A terrible turmoil, it is a terrible thing," said outgoing Premier Silvio Berlusconi, who owns the AC Milan club.

"If it goes on this way, Italian soccer risks disappearing, swept away by a scandal the magnitude of which seems deeper with every passing day," said a front-page editorial in Corriere della Sera.

At the centre of the scandal is Turin-based powerhouse Juventus and its director general Luciano Moggi, who is under investigation in Rome and Naples.

Prosecutors allege that Moggi - nicknamed "Lucky Luciano" - created a widespread system of power, deciding which referees should officiate Juventus games, which players be selected for the national team, and even which players should be yellow carded.

Naples prosecutors said that investigators were looking into 20 matches from the 2004-2005 season, and that four Serie A clubs were being probed - Juventus, Lazio, AC Milan and Fiorentina. Forty-one people have been ordered to appear for questioning for suspected criminal association. Among them is reportedly Massimo De Santis, an Italian referee assigned to the World Cup.

The clubs could face severe penalties, including possible relegation and being stripped of their trophies.

The scandal has already taken its toll.

National football federation president Franco Carraro and his deputy have resigned.

Italian media have printed extensive excerpts of phone calls between Moggi and refereeing official Pierluigi Pairetto from last season, in which the pair allegedly discussed match officials assigned for Serie A and Champions League games.

"You see how I remember you," Pairetto was quoted as telling Moggi after announcing that he had lined up a "great referee" for Juve's Champions League match against Ajax in Amsterdam in September 2004, which Juve won 1-0.

Allegations printed in Italian papers added a new twist to the probe.

According to the reports, Moggi pressured Italy coach Marcello Lippi - a former Juve coach - to call up players who are represented by an agency created by Moggi's son.

The GEA World company, whose activities are also under investigation, represents about 200 players. It was created years ago by Alessandro Moggi and the daughter of an Italian banker, Chiara Geronzi, among other partners. Lippi's son, Davide Lippi, also works for the company.

Lippi dismissed accusations he was influenced, saying that "the national team caps (selections) are in front of everybody's eyes." GEA has refused to comment throughout the scandal.

The scandal weighs heavily on Italy, which is going into the World Cup as one of the favourites.

"I am sorry this is happening and I did not expect it," Lippi said.

Adding to the woes, he could lose one of Italy's key players, goalkeeper Buffon, who was alleged to have bet hundreds of thousands of euros, according to Italian newspaper La Stampa and other reports.

La Stampa, owned like Juve by the Agnelli auto tycoons, said Buffon is involved along with three former Juventus players. The investigation is led by prosecutors in Parma, a city where Buffon played before moving to Turin.

Juventus has declined to comment and Buffon ignored reporters at Juventus' training camp.

The scandal began when Turin prosecutors investigating Juventus for alleged doping violations overheard other behaviour by club officials that they thought could be illicit. It developed into a series of probes in at least four cities.

It's the latest setback for Juventus, known as the "Old Lady" of Italian football.

The team faced a doping trial - for alleged violations between 1994-98 - that ended with an acquittal of its officials, even though prosecutors have appealed to Italy's highest court. Juve's chairman, Antonio Giraudo, is being investigated for false bookkeeping in connection with the sale of a player.

The scandal further scarred the image of a team that is loved or hated like no other in Italy.

Juventus will find little to celebrate even if it wins the league title this weekend for the second year in a row and 29th time overall. Juventus needs only a draw against Reggina to clinch the title.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Jeeks said:
Stephan, your article points that the head of the Italian federation resigned, is it Galliani? and if so, when did he resign?

Can you post the link?
No...

It's Carraro, not Galliani...

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
The article rebel posted earlier, is now translated. Credit goes to Elisa.

Addio scudetti e retrocessione
ecco che cosa rischia la Juventus

Dieci domande per capire cosa può succedere, in caso di illecito sportivo provato.

Cosa rischia la Juventus? E le altre squadre coinvolte?
Se viene riconosciuto l'illecito sportivo e se la società viene ritenuta direttamente responsabile, la pena minima è la retrocessione all'ultimo posto in classifica, e quindi in serie B. Ma se nell'illecito c'è gravità e reiterazione, ci possono essere sanzioni accessorie: il capo i) prevede la revoca dello scudetto (che potrebbe andare alla seconda classificata, ma anche non essere assegnato affatto), cui può essere aggiunta una penalizzazione in punti da scontare nel campionato successivo. Anche i posti per le Coppe europee andrebbero riassegnati in base alla nuova classifica.

What do we risk?
With sportive illict:
• With directly responsible club: relegation (as last in the table, so no CL)
• With directly responsible club (if the fact is really serious or repeated in the past): relegation + points of penalty or scudetto revoked

La Juve, quindi, potrebbe perdere due scudetti?
Sì: quello del 2006, se lo vincerà, perché verrebbe retrocessa all'ultimo posto della classifica, e quello del 2005 perché la pena è "afflittiva", se il reato prevedesse una pena più grave.
So Juve would lose 2 Scudetti?
(It says that we’d lose this one and also the 28th, if the penalty was so serious. Strange: the “fixed” championship is 2004-05, not this one. Why would we lose the 2006 one before the other?

È vero che la Juventus potrebbe anche finire in serie C?
È vero, perché il comma h) prevede l'assegnazione "da parte del Consiglio Federale a uno dei campionati di categoria inferiore", non automaticamente a quello immediatamente inferiore.
Is it true that Juve could be relegated in C?
Yes, because it’s the federation that decides the division a club is relegated to.

E se invece venisse accertata la responsabilità oggettiva ma non diretta?
In quel caso, in base al capo f), la pena potrebbe limitarsi a una penalizzazione, da scontarsi nel campionato appena concluso (e in questo caso potrebbe costare lo scudetto) o in quello successivo. Se fosse responsabilità presunta la pena sarebbe più lieve.
And if it was objective responsabilty but not direct? (The illict was done by someone working for the club, without the club knowing)
In that case there could be a points penalty in this or in the next championship (again, why this one? Has this person ever heard of what is going on?). If the responsibility was only “suspected” the penalty would be lighter.

Cosa rischiano i tesserati coinvolti?
Per l'illecito la pena minima è di tre anni di inibizione, la massima di cinque: ma se il reato è grave, può essere proposta la radiazione.
What do the “members” of that club risk?
For illicits form 3 to 5 years of inhibition, but even radiation if the illicit is more serious.

E gli arbitri?
Secondo l'articolo 53 del Regolamento Aia, si va dal rimprovero, alla sospensione (massimo due anni) fino al ritiro della tessera.
And refs?
From being scolded, to suspended to banned permanently.

Quali sono i gradi di giudizio e i tempi previsti?
Per i primi due gradi, Disciplinare e Caf, potrebbero bastare due-tre settimane. Per il terzo, il ricorso alla Camera di Conciliazione del Coni, ne è necessaria un'altra. Ci sono disparità interpretative se, in caso di illecito sportivo, si possa ricorrere anche al Tar del Lazio e al Consiglio di Stato: la legge 280 prevede che questi organismi intervengano solo per processi che non siano di natura tecnica e disciplinare. Potrebbero però essere molto lunghi i tempi dell'istruttoria. L'Ufficio Indagini riceverà la documentazione da Napoli solo la prossima settimana.
How many leves/grades of judgement are there and how long are their times?
• 1 disciplinare and 2 caf – 2/3 weeks
• 3 Camera di conciliazione del coni – another week
• Then Lazio’s Tar or Cosiglio di stato (they are both not sportive organs, but of the Italian Republic)
Napoli’s procure will send its documentation next week.

Potrebbe slittare l'inizio del campionato?
Per compilare i calendari non si può andare oltre Ferragosto, dal momento che la serie A comincerà il 27 agosto. Se l'iter della giustizia sportiva non fosse concluso, si potrebbe decidere per un rinvio.
Could the beginning of next Championship be post poned?
The fixture have to be made before Aug 15th since Serie A starts on Aug 27th. If the procedure was not concluded yet, the start could be postponed

Cosa rischiano i giocatori che scommettono?
Una squalifica non inferiore ai 18 mesi. Ma la Procura può richiedere una sospensione cautelare di due mesi.
What do the players that bet risk?
A ban of not less than 18 months (I distinctly remember Bettarini got only 6 months) and the procure can ask a 2 months suspension.

Può un giocatore già convocato per i Mondiali essere sostituito nella lista dei 23?
No, a meno che non di dimostri che si è gravemente infortunato.
Can a player of the WC 23 list be substituted with another?
Not unless he is seriously injured

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
And another from isha00

da www.libero.it

Juve e Lazio retrocesse con scudetto revocato alla Vecchia Signora? Escludo tutte queste ipotesi. In tutto quello che ho visto, esaminato, letto non vi è nessuno degli elementi che possa far pensare e combine o a condiziomenti di partite tali da aver determinato un'alterazione dei risultati. Milan e Fiorentina? Escludo penalizzazioni". Lo spiega ad Affari il noto avvocato bellunese e onorevole di Forza Italia Maurizio Paniz. Che sui dialoghi di Moggi con Bergamo spiega: "Non emerge che concordasse le designazioni".
Juve and Lazio relegated, with a revoked scudetto to the Lady? I can exclude these hypotesis. In all I have seen, examinatd, read, none of the elements can make you think about fixings or influencings that could have altered the results. Milan and Fiorentina? I exclude penalties”. This is what the popular lawyer from Belluno and deputate for Forza Italia Maurizio Panis told to “Affari”. On Moggi’s dialogs with Bergamo he explains: “Nothing can make one suppose that they fixed designations”

L'intervista

Molti mezzi di informazione prospettano la retrocessione della Juve che si vedrebbe lo scudetto revocato e la Lazio anch'essa in serie B. Con tanto di penalizzazioni per entrambi i club. Questo perché le due socieà sarebbero coinvolte direttamente. Cosa ne pensa?
"Escludo tutte queste ipotesi. Tutto quello che ho visto, esaminato, letto non vi è nessuno degli elementi che possa far pensare e combine o a condiziamenti di partite tali da aver determinato un'alterazione dei risultati".
Most mass media predict the relegation for Juve, that would get its scudetto revoked, and Lazio also in Serie B. With penalties to both clubs. This because the two clubs would be directly responsible. What do you think about it?
“I exclude all these hypothesis. In all I have seen, examinatd, read, none of the elements can make you think about fixings or influencings that could have altered the results.”

E Moggi?
And Moggi
"Non rischia nulla. Rischia soltanto il messaggio mediatico molto negativo che evidentemente condiziona lui e la Juve. Ma dal punto di vista del condizinamento dei risultati, dell'illecito e del concretizzarsi dell'illecito sportivo secondo me non c'è nulla".
He doesn’t risk anything. He risks only on the very negative mediatic message, that (will) conditione him and Juve. But the results fixing, illicit and its coming true point of view, there’s nothing, in my opinion”.

Ma si parla di violazione dell'articolo 1, con possibili squalifiche di qualche mese o qualche anno...
"La violazione dell'articolo 1, cioè del dovere di lealtà, probità e via dicendo può emergere anche con comportamenti assolutamente irrisori, minuscoli. Certo, parlare in maniera volgare e già una violazione del dovere di lealtà e probità e, se vogliamo, anche una serie di altri passaggi che emergono dalla intercettazioni. Credo che queste cose siano talmente frequenti che non so..."
But it is talked about violations of the 1rst article, with possible months or years bans…
“the violation of the 1rst article, this means of the duty of fair play and so on, can happen also with not so serious behavings. Talking vulgarly it’s already a violation of this article and even some other things of the taps. But these things happen so frequently, that I don’t know…”

Cosa?
What?
"Fino a che punto il limite possa arrivare a far pensare a sanzioni di carattere significativo. No, non penso che si possa arrivare a una squalifica".
The limit after which you can think about significative penalties. No, I don’t think that they could lead to a ban”.

Moggi però ha effettuato anche telefonate con Bergamo sulle designazioni arbitrali...
But Moggi has spoken on the phone also with Bergamo, on ref designations…
"Non emerge che concordassero le designazioni. Per quanto si è letto, auspicava ci fosse l'uno e l'altro degli arbitri. Come io potrei aver piacere che ci fosse questo o quel giudice in un derminato processo. Ma non è detto che poi il mio messaggio si sia tradotto in realtà. Del resto abbiamo visto alla prova dei fatti che alcune designazioni non erano conformi a quello che Moggi auspicava".
“There is nothing that makes one think they agreed on designations. As far as we read, Moggi hoped there was one or another ref. Exactly like I could hope there was one or another judge in a trial. But it’s not that my wish comes true. After all we have seen that some designations were not the ones that Moggi hoped”.

Capitolo Milan e Fiorentina: si parla di penalizzazioni...
Milan and Fiorentina chapter: they talk about penalties….
"Lo escludo ancora una volta. C'è sicuramente una serie di comportamenti poco convenienti, ma dalla sconvenienza a passare all'illecito c'è un passaggio molto grande. E ritengo che qui ci siano sconvenienze. Mi faccia aggiungere una considerazione...".
“I exclude this one too. There are surely some not covenient behaviours, but from that to illicit there is a great distance. And I think that there are some improprieties here. Let me add something…

Dica...

"Primo: ritengo che le intercettazioni vadano lette nell'ambito di un contesto molto più complessivo rispetto a quello che emerge rispetto alle trascrizioni fredde, riportate dagli organi di informazione. Molte volte il tono che viene utlizzato è indicativo magari di rapporti di familiarità che non incide in maniera così diretta su quello che è l'apparente condizionamento delle gare. E poi...".
”First: I think that the transcripts are to be read in a more complete context than the one we get from cold transcriptions typed by the mass media. Sometimes the tone used is indicative of familiar relationships that don’t influence so directly the supposed fixed matches. And then…”

Poi?
"I rapporti di familiarità che emergono spesso da queste intercettazioni non sono a mio avviso così negativi come può sembrare, perché il calcio è pur sempre un gioco anche se muove determinati interessi. Il fatto che ci sia familiarità non significa che, poi, qualcuno quando è il momento di operare e fare il proprio dovere non lo faccia in maniera assoluta e totale. Fino a prova contraria, ciascuno quando si è trattato di fare il proprio dovere di arbitro, di designatore credo l'abbia fatto. In questo momento non abbiamo nessun elemento per dire il contrario".
“the familiar relationships that come out form these taps are, in my opinion not as negative as they could see,, cause football is a game, even if there are big interests behind it. Plus, the fact that there is familiarity in them doesn’t mean that then people don’t do their job in an absolute way. Till there isn’t something proving the opposite, it seems that when they had to do their ref and designations jobs, they did. At the moment we don’t have elements to state the opposite”.

Il calcio però è nella bufera...
But calico is in a storm….
"Non mi piacciono questi processi sommari che portano a condanne altrettanto sommarie sotto tutti i punti di vista, più che altro influenzate attraverso i media e le volontà delle tifoserie di raggiungere degli obiettivi che potevano sembrare non raggiungibili dal punto di vista sportivo. Occorre molta calma, tranquillità e valutare veramente con ponderazione quello che ci può essere stato. Francamente in questa pur significativa mole di elementi che sono emersi non riesco a vedere degli illeciti dal punto di vista o sportivo o men che meno penale".
“I don’t like these perfunctory trials, that lead to equally perfunctory penalties under every point of view, mostly influenced by media and the supporters’ will to reach goals not reachable in a normal way. There has to be calm, serenity and there have to be weighted thoughtfully what there has been. Frankly I can’t find in these big quantity of elements that have come out some illicits on the sportive and, even less, in a penal point of view”.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)