Nationality debate (25 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Whether its objective or not is not the point now. The argument was about the conclusion that you drew after reading the article. Your conclusion was that they must be jealous of Italy for having Rossi. Which frankly just shows how biased you are against the Spanish.

I mean first C.Zanetti is better than Xavi, now Spain wish they have Rossi. Badass devil certainly has some competition now.
No, it's not really about talent anyway. Spaniards are generally jealous of Italians. I have absolutely no idea why though. It's something that I've seen a lot and I've heard several Spaniards admit it too. There's some kind of friction between the two countries, only Italians aren't even aware of it.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
And if he wouldn't make it, which means he wouldn't have had a cap, he'd still have the ability to play for the US.

I think you're overrating him there.

There was no risk at all.
But the point is, its a chance that he was willing to take.

Certainly you can see the risk of doing something like that. Italy had, and still has, a much larger pool of strikers on which to choose from. There was no obligation on Lippi or Donadoni's part to select him because of his "situation".

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'll tell you what's not logical. AS blasting Italy for Rossi. And who plays for Spain? Senna. Do you see it now? Do you see why people start suspecting that there are other motives in play here?

You see i never said AS's article was logical. From the start my argument was on the conclusion some people here including Seven drew after reading the article. The conclusion was that Spain must be jealous of Italy. Which is frankly laughable and completely groundless.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
No, it's not really about talent anyway. Spaniards are generally jealous of Italians. I have absolutely no idea why though. It's something that I've seen a lot and I've heard several Spaniards admit it too. There's some kind of friction between the two countries, only Italians aren't even aware of it.
Oh then i'm afraid that settles it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Certainly you can see the risk of doing something like that. Italy had, and still has, a much larger pool of strikers on which to choose from. There was no obligation on Lippi or Donadoni's part to select him because of his "situation".
Only a European or an "immigrant" (if you can still call yourself that :D) can understand. The propaganda really got to Andy. Which is funny given the fact he always complains about moronic rednecks.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh then i'm afraid that settles it.
A LOT of Spaniards will tell you the same. I honestly don't know what it's about. I think it's with the world seeing Italians as more refined. And Italians do tend to get more attention than Spaniards.

You of course haven't been to either Italy or Spain nor have you actually met a Spaniard or an Italian, so you'd obviously know better.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Well, if his dream was to "play for Italy", whether it be once, twice, or 50 times, his dream would be fulfilled if he got called up. If he didn't, he'd still be able to play a lot for the US.

Still don't see the risk here.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You see i never said AS's article was logical. From the start my argument was on the conclusion some people here including Seven drew after reading the article. The conclusion was that Spain must be jealous of Italy. Which is frankly laughable and completely groundless.
So we all read an article. Seven concluded AS is jealous of Italy. You concluded Seven is biased against the Spanish for making that conclusion. Seems to me your conclusion is pretty flimsy.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So we all read an article. Seven concluded AS is jealous of Italy. You concluded Seven is biased against the Spanish for making that conclusion. Seems to me your conclusion is pretty flimsy.
He can't get over this Xavi thing. Which is plain stupid, because I've praised Fernando Torres, Iniesta and Xabi Alonso before.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
After 80 years the Spaniards finally have better team than Italy. The huge rivalry (Seven says it's one-sided, and i agree with him) made the Spaniards enjoy every second of it. They eliminated Italy, they won the EURO, they have better team while the Italians have the worst team in the last decades maybe.

The Spaniards enjoy this and want this to last forever. Rossi showed that Italy actually has some youngsters to take over the old and useless world champions.

It's not jealousy Andries. They are scared!
They fear that soon enough Italy will again be better and it might last for 80 more years.

:D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
After 80 years the Spaniards finally have better team than Italy. The huge rivalry (Seven says it's one-sided, and i agree with him) made the Spaniards enjoy every second of it. They eliminated Italy, they won the EURO, they have better team while the Italians have the worst team in the last decades maybe.

The Spaniards enjoy this and want this to last forever. Rossi showed that Italy actually has some youngsters to take over the world champions.

It's not jealousy Andries. They are scared!
They fear that soon enough Italy will again be better and it might last for 80 more years.

:D
It's really a thing in Spain and I honestly can't figure out why. I don't even think Italians are aware of this "competition".

I'm always confused in these nationality discussions. Belgians don't really care I suppose. Well.. since recently I do care. With people being more and more serious about splitting the country in two.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
A LOT of Spaniards will tell you the same. I honestly don't know what it's about. I think it's with the world seeing Italians as more refined. And Italians do tend to get more attention than Spaniards.

You of course haven't been to either Italy or Spain nor have you actually met a Spaniard or an Italian, so you'd obviously know better.
I haven't been to either Italy nor Spain, thats your argument now. You're yet to convince me why Spain would be jealous of Italy over Rossi.

Seven's opinions.

"Xavi is an ordinary player, there are plenty of players that can do better than him if given the chance to play his role at Barcelona"

"C.Zanetti's passing is better than Xavi's"

"Spain are jealous of Italy for having Rossi"

Maybe its just me, but i feel a pattern emerging.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's really a thing in Spain and I honestly can't figure out why. I don't even think Italians are aware of this "competition".

I'm always confused in these nationality discussions. Belgians don't really care I suppose. Well.. since recently I do care. With people being more and more serious about splitting the country in two.
There is a similar thing with Norway and Sweden. Norway is the smaller, and historically subordinate to both Denmark and Sweden in periods. So Norwegians get all hyper when they can beat Sweden at something. Of course the Swedes don't perceive this rivalry as anything worth spending time on, I mean it's just Norway, it's noone special.

Inferiority complex I'd say.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Seven's opinions.

"Xavi is an ordinary player, there are plenty of players that can do better than him if given the chance to play his role at Barcelona"

"C.Zanetti's passing is better than Xavi's"

"Spain are jealous of Italy for having Rossi"

Maybe its just me, but i feel a pattern emerging.
This is the pattern I'm seeing:
Seven is not particularly taken with Xavi.
He suspects Spain has an inferiority complex or something against Italy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)