Nationality debate (2 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well I think they picked Russia because Lithuania were part of Russia when they were growing up, and if I'm not mistaken they played in Russian league before moving to NHL.

Since you are from Poland you should know that our Baltic nations has strong ties with Russia throughout the history.
Yeah that's totally common of course. What I hate is how Germany has always been our "model" of admiration in football :irritated We've never been better than them, we've never even beaten then when it mattered and always remain inferior. The inferiority part is one thing, but what's even worse is looking up to frickin Germany as something to imitate. I can't stand their team.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Never knew that about Polish football.

But from what i can remember from Euro is that you have a young team who has a good potential, and it didn't play German football, this very disciplined two steps forward one step back football. In fact they played fast short-passing attacking game and were quite good at it too.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Never knew that about Polish football.

But from what i can remember from Euro is that you have a young team who has a good potential, and it didn't play German football, this very disciplined two steps forward one step back football. In fact they played fast short-passing attacking game and were quite good at it too.
We have Leo, he's an incredible positive influence. Yet we still fail to not suck in a tournament.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Oh yeah, i heard that its because of the manager. Still i remember liking your team play in Euro.

In my opinion the main problem is that players don't play regular at the highest level, so when they face a team with players who are used to playing at high levels every day they can win only by sheer willpower, because technically they are handicaped.

Lets take egzample my national team. It can't be compared to Poland in terms of player quality or the quality where thay play. But it can be show as an extreme egzample, because almost whole starting eleven is playing in low leagues, Latvia, Russian second divisions our home league which is a joke really and etc, and if this were not enough, they are subsitutes there, and don't get any match practice. So no matter how you prepare the team it will still fail because they don't have the exparience to play at higher levels.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I just noticed this thread was about Rossi. I think Americans should be proud of Rossi more than anything. Personally, If I see or know that there's someone that was born in Lebanon or even raised in Lebanon playing for a top team I would really be proud of him.

Too many Lebanese had the chance to play for our NT but took the chance playing for another NT where they have more chances of shining and it's their right and I was proud of them when they were achieving.

I could be wrong, or maybe because Lebanon is such a weak team when it comes to Football.

Yes, I am proud of him. I would have been just as proud of him if he played for the US, but it takes a lot of guts to turn down a nearly guaranteed spot on the US team for the chance, and I repeat, CHANCE, to make the Italian NT.

It was a calculated risk, but obviously he was chosen because of his talent

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Exactly, that's the problem. And our players, the most successful ones, leave the country usually at age around 27. Which means they have maybe 2-3 years at their highest level, if that. One exception is Jelen, who is probably our best player right now.

Although we did have a few decent goalkeepers lately, but you need more than a goalkeeper to make a team.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Yes, I am proud of him. I would have been just as proud of him if he played for the US, but it takes a lot of guts to turn down a nearly guaranteed spot on the US team for the chance, and I repeat, CHANCE, to make the Italian NT.

Very true but it also speaks volumes about the confidence he has,not only in his ability but the mere fact that he's not afraid of tussling it out with the likes of Toni & Iaquinta.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Hehe our best one is Stankevicius from Samp, and you can really see the difference in terms of play quality between him and the rest of the team. And he isn't even a gifted footballer or anything, he is just an average player who gets regular playing time on high level every week.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Hehe our best one is Stankevicius from Samp, and you can really see the difference in terms of play quality between him and the rest of the team. And he isn't even a gifted footballer or anything, he is just an average player who gets regular playing time on high level every week.
See that's an achievement that no Polish player has managed in the last 3 decades. Our biggest hope was Matusiak (incidentally same last name as me :cool: ) but he flopped at Palermo. :lazy:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

And if he wouldn't make it, which means he wouldn't have had a cap, he'd still have the ability to play for the US.

I think you're overrating him there.

There was no risk at all.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

I'm proud that an American is piggy-backing the Italy NT. I'm pissed that it happened against the US. :D

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Yeah, and I' very proud of him.

But your whole team is better, and that makes it easier. Maybe if Stankevicius was some kind of Baggio, but he is just a hard working wing-back, this is not a player who wins game.

And the rest of the team is awful. There are national level players who don't get to play so they come back home and just train in lithuanian clubs, play beach soccer or just play with their friends. I have played with quite a few national players just for fun, 3-4 days a week. highest profile player I played like this is our 8th most capped player Tomas Danilevicius And he was being called to the national team at that time.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Yeah, and I' very proud of him.

But your whole team is better, and that makes it easier. Maybe if Stankevicius was some kind of Baggio, but he is just a hard working wing-back, this is not a player who wins game.

And the rest of the team is awful. There are national level players who don't get to play so they come back home and just train in lithuanian clubs, play beach soccer or just play with their friends. I have played with quite a few national players just for fun, 3-4 days a week, highest profile player I played like this is our 8th most capped player Tomas Danilevicius :D And he was being called to the national team at that time.
Swweeeeet :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Look, Rossi can play for the Azzurri all he wants, and congratulations to him. But I don't want him at Juventus, and I will not support him at Juventus. Too bad if people have a problem with that.
Finally. It was about fucking time you let go of your fascist opinion. An Italian with Italian parents who has lived in Italy and has always wanted to play for Italy has every right to do so. Why it took you so long to realise that is a mystery, but congrats anyway, Andy.

Kayo

Mar 18, 2007
I believe a debate about player's nationality in football is unnecessary. Even if we in some cases don't believe that a specific national team doesn't "fit" a player, there's nothing that can be done. It's like beating a dead horse in my opinion. I also had some issues in the past with France, but there's nothing more to do than accept the fact.

I understand that some of the American members are angry about Rossi going to Italy when he's technically can be called an American, but he probably felt more Italian and decided to make that pick. What's done is done.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
What about Trez and Camo, Andy? They're both traitors too you know. They both should have played for Argentina. Am I right? Am I right? Dear god, the insanity!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)