Nationality debate (63 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
@seven: because I don't live in italy I don't understand italian? That's weird, I wasn't aware you thought you knew anything about me.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
Wrong question to ask me.:D

Believe it or not we have actually had football in the US for longer than yesterday. We even made the Semis of the 1930 World Cup. But I don't really count that because it was a limited field and we had some British ex-Pats on the team.

So technically our footballing history begins in late 1989 with the final game of World Cup Qualifying. Win and we're in lose and we're done. A Paul Caligiuri 25 yard strike on the sandy pitch of Trinidad and Tobago sent a group of college kids to Italy in 1990... (I could go on and rehash the next 19 years for you, but that would be boring for you and you wouldn't know any of the names)

Point is yes we do have a football history. It isn't as lucrative as England or Luxembourg, but it is there.
I was expecting someone would give me hell for that question, but :tup: . Nice to see some people can just take a joke like that without going mad.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I have 3140 posts now martin, please show me one where I have put America ahead of any other nation. Show me one example of me claiming the USA is so much better than everyone else like you claim. I would expect a little more from you, but as your title suggests. You may be wrong, I guess I will just have to deal with it. In the meantime, go read through my posts and show me where I said the United States is the best country in the world. It is great to live in no doubt, but it is by no means the best.

As for ur pole born german nationals I don't agre with them. It is your choice to look the other way, fine. I am not you and I don't generalize.
Okay then, you tell me. Where is this outrage coming from? If a guy from say the Cayman Islands, with Italian ancestry, had the chance to play for Italy, would you bash him for choosing Italy? Would you insist that he should represent the Cayman Islands? No, because that would be completely ludicrous. Why should he waste what could be a very successful career in favor of a team that is never gonna achieve anything?

The fact is football players make the choice that is most likely to benefit them. They all do this. And on the other hand we have fans (who supposedly admire them) who are outraged at their lack of integrity. Are you telling me that every fan would do as he's preaching? Give me a break. People look out for their own interests, and that's a fact. The only disagreement is that you think Rossi should perceive the USA team as his biggest interest, which he doesn't.

Is there anyone who would dispute Italy is by far the bigger team? Do you think Rossi alone would send USA to the top or something?

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Not only your team. That WC was really dull. It still holds the record of least number of goals scored per match. There were so many 0:0's , 1:0's or 1:1's with most of the goals scored from pk. :smile:
In Group F (Holland, England, Ireland and Egypt) no team scored more than once in a match.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I didn't feel like being a "typical American". Sometimes it's fun, but not always.:D
Haha, I didn't dare to actually put that generalization in that reply... though after reading through the pages of this thread you can imagine it did cross my mind at one point. ;)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Okay then, you tell me. Where is this outrage coming from? If a guy from say the Cayman Islands, with Italian ancestry, had the chance to play for Italy, would you bash him for choosing Italy? Would you insist that he should represent the Cayman Islands? No, because that would be completely ludicrous. Why should he waste what could be a very successful career in favor of a team that is never gonna achieve anything?

The fact is football players make the choice that is most likely to benefit them. They all do this. And on the other hand we have fans who are outraged at their lack of integrity. Are you telling me that every fan would do as he's preaching? Give me a break. People look out for their own interests, and that's a fact. The only disagreement is that you think Rossi should perceive the USA team as his biggest interest, which he doesn't.
I'm working on this program that outs young dual citizens for their footballing talent. Then we ship them to the "US developmental academy" where we really make them forget out their other citizenship using Krispy Kreme, hulu, and orange soda.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'm working on this program that outs young dual citizens for their footballing talent. Then we ship them to the "US developmental academy" where we really make them forget out their other citizenship using twinkies, hulu, and orange soda.

Replace twinkies with Krispy Kreme, and you might be onto something

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Rossi's American dream
Tuesday 16 June, 2009
Italy striker Giuseppe Rossi has spoken again about the joy he felt after scoring twice against the USA, the country of his birth.

The 22-year-old came on as a second half substitute and made an immediate impact.

Within two minutes he found the net with a 30-yard screamer and then deep into injury he made it 3-1 with a delightful half volley.

“Youngsters like me have the desire to do wonderful and important things for La Nazionale. We will try to do it again,” Rossi said.

When asked to explain his ties to the USA, he replied: “This is the story. When I was young, around 18, Bruce Arena, who then trained the USA, wanted me with him for World Cup 2006, but my dream was Italy.

“Do I have an American dream? Yes, I want to realise my dreams and always do more. I have always dreamed of becoming a professional footballer.

“It's easier to do it in Italy. You can also do it in the USA, but it's easier in Europe.”

On being asked if Marcello Lippi threw him on because of his personality, Rossi replied: “I try to be myself. I am a calm and simple boy.

“Then again on the pitch you have to show what you are made of.”

The Villarreal striker has already been linked with Juventus and insists he is open to a return to Italy.

“I am concentrating on the Confederations Cup, so we'll see, but I like Italian football. It's difficult and I like the pressure.”

Moving on, Rossi talked about his family back in the USA.

“America is home, because I have family there. I lived there until I was 13, but I have been in Italy for five or six years and grew up as a footballer there, so Italy is an important part of me.

“My family were happy because they always support Italy. I am happy for their support,” he concluded.

C4

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Is there anyone who would dispute Italy is by far the bigger team? Do you think Rossi alone would send USA to the top or something?
Italy is way bigger than the US, duh.:D

I think Rossi would have really helped the US team. From a purely football viewpoint a player like Rossi with his current skill and potential could quite possibly be a player that would boost the USA from being a team that occasionally gets out of the groups, to a team that makes the quarters. Basically, the US is a team that has high fitness, plays good team defense, and has the ability to counter. They don't have a particularly great player that can create for himself and score goals. Their game is built around not making mistakes and capitalizing on the opponent's. Rossi as we saw last night can make his own scoring chances and score goals from anywhere on the pitch. A scary striker is the one position the US has always lacked. Rossi would have filled that void expertly in my opinion. So while he wouldn't have made the US WC winners, he would have made us a lot better. And in the future, who knows maybe players like Subotic would decide to choose the US? But that's more or so speculation.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Italy is way bigger than the US, duh.:D

I think Rossi would have really helped the US team. From a purely football viewpoint a player like Rossi with his current skill and potential could quite possibly be a player that would boost the USA from being a team that occasionally gets out of the groups, to a team that makes the quarters. Basically, the US is a team that has high fitness, plays good team defense, and has the ability to counter. They don't have a particularly great player that can create for himself and score goals. Their game is built around not making mistakes and capitalizing on the opponent's. Rossi as we saw last night can make his own scoring chances and score goals from anywhere on the pitch. A scary striker is the one position the US has always lacked. Rossi would have filled that void expertly in my opinion. So while he wouldn't have made the US WC winners, he would have made us a lot better. And in the future, who knows maybe players like Subotic would decide to choose the US? But that's more or so speculation.
Its easy to say that from a performance point of view, but the fact of the matter is, in this country, if you're not properly marketed, then everything falls apart.

Rossi would have gone generally unnoticed, even if he turned into America's Baggio, so to speak.

See: Freddie Adu circa 2002-2003

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
@martin: its not outrage, just my disagreement. I don't wish him to die or a career ending injury. Honestly, that's all it is. Just don't agree.

If what you think is true with your cayman island example then why the hell is everyone pissed off about fabio cannavaro, lillian thuram, zlatan ibrahimovic, and gianluca zambrotta leaving juventus because they made a decision to impact their careers and better themselves in another team rather than got to serie B. Damn hypocrites if you ask me now. Its ok for a player leave a country he calls home to make a better career for himself but its not ok for players to leave juventus because they want the same things for themselves rather than hurt their careers they spent their entire lives working for? Don't you think its hypocritical martin to support rossi deserting a country he calls home but as soon as a player jumps ship on juve then its the end of the world on these forums. But as soon as one single person has a disagrement then the entire forum feels like it turns against him? Real cool martin, go ahead and bash me for my being proud to be American, for being a little upset about rossi and for disagreeing with the norm. Thanks man.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Its easy to say that from a performance point of view, but the fact of the matter is, in this country, if you're not properly marketed, then everything falls apart.

Rossi would have gone generally unnoticed, even if he turned into America's Baggio, so to speak.

See: Freddie Adu circa 2002-2003
True, but it could have had a positive effect. With him playing overseas for most of his career his anonymity could have led to less pressure. As in Freddy's case, where he was basically a human freak show growing up in the MLS and has struggled to live up to his hype.

Even if he were the US's unknown Baggio, the knowledgeable US fans would know and welcome him.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
@martin: its not outrage, just my disagreement. I don't wish him to die or a career ending injury. Honestly, that's all it is. Just don't agree.
I'm sorry if I attribute stuff to you that you haven't said, it's just that Andy is the extremist here and I'm trying to address the whole issue even though I'm talking to you.

If what you think is true with your cayman island example then why the hell is everyone pissed off about fabio cannavaro, lillian thuram, zlatan ibrahimovic, and gianluca zambrotta leaving juventus because they made a decision to impact their careers and better themselves in another team rather than got to serie B. Damn hypocrites if you ask me now. Its ok for a player leave a country he calls home to make a better career for himself but its not ok for players to leave juventus because they want the same things for themselves rather than hurt their careers they spent their entire lives working for? Don't you think its hypocritical martin to support rossi deserting a country he calls home but as soon as a player jumps ship on juve then its the end of the world on these forums. But as soon as one single person has a disagrement then the entire forum feels like it turns against him? Real cool martin, go ahead and bash me for my being proud to be American, for being a little upset about rossi and for disagreeing with the norm. Thanks man.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. If the people on this forum were Zambrotta they would have done the same thing he did. But because they've never been put in that situation they think they know what would have been. You're damn right it's hypocritical, but more than that it's just ignorant.

I wasn't happy when Zidane decided to leave, but I didn't call him a traitor and bash him, in fact I had a very similar discussion with the people who did, you can be sure of that. See, I get how this whole thing works. I get that if you want to keep a player like Zidane you have to be the most attractive club in the world or damn near that. And we weren't, twice we had failed with Ancelotti. I wasn't happy, but I know why it happened so I'm not gonna rile against the same kind of human nature that drives my own decisions just because I didn't like it.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
@martin: its cool, its just really hard to express ur opinion sometimes when people would rather attack than debate. I'm a pretty easy going guy 99percent of the time, but as soon as someone hits below the belt it sets me off, my bad. I promise, its not outrage though

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
It was good for this thread to see Rossi scores 2 against the country he could have played for.
I just imagine how the Rossi hater feels right now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)