Nationality debate (18 Viewers)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

In these parts nationalities are mixed up probably more than anywhere in the world. We decide these things pretty easily; you're from where your father is born. You may be born in USA but if your father is 100% pure bread Italian, so are you. People emigrate all the time. 15-20 years spent in another country merely because of economical reasons doesn't negate centuries of heritage flowing through the blood. Though Rossi and his parents should be appreciative of what USA gave them, it's what you carry inside that defines you.

Silly discussion, really.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 10, 2006
In these parts nationalities are mixed up probably more than anywhere in the world. We decide these things pretty easily; you're from where your father is born. You may be born in USA but if your father is 100% pure bread Italian, so are you. People emigrate all the time. 15-20 years spent in another country merely because of economical reasons doesn't negate centuries of heritage flowing through the blood. Though Rossi and his parents should be appreciative of what USA gave them, it's what you carry inside that defines you.

Sep 1, 2002

Too true, not really a discussion but lots of sour grapes.

And if I might say, somewhat arrogant.

marco46

Jul 14, 2006
I can't believe this is a Giuseppe Rossi thread and I barely see mention of his goal. We must buy this kid.

To add to the conversation though, I am born and live in Australia, though my parents were born in Italy.

The way I have been raised is far different to how many "Australians" have been. Obviously the cultural differences - from the food I eat to how I spend my Sunday afternoons - are evident, but also key morals and values are vastly different to others in the country. Even the football teams I follow emphasise the differences.

To say I am Australian is hard to swallow. Although, I know I'm not one hundred percent Italian either. I am labelled an Italian (by others) when it's appropriate for them and Australian at other times.

Personally, I think it's more a mix of your background and the the way you have been brought up, rather than purely where you live.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
IMO, class goal of the tournament -- and it may stay there.

His nice finish on Pirlo's hard work for his second wasn't shabby either.

Sep 1, 2002
Two things about the goal that take away from it's credence as a great goal, one being that the American midfielder (I guess he wanted to have a time-out) was comical, and the other that the defender (I guess he is crap) didn't bother to try and close Rossi down. All in all useless football from the USA.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Feilhaber shouldn't have got caught in that position when he had no cover behind him, and he did screw up. But our centerbacks couldn't step in front of Rossi in that amount of time -- they aren't fast players. It's not their fault. Plus they had other enemy players around them to deal with.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
No, if you've ever played at the back before, you'd know you couldn't dive in too much because our right center-back had a guy right next to him. If he would have all out sprinted towards Rossi, he could have easily left a gap for the player beside him to have a breakaway. This is one of those percentage plays where you'd rather have the opposition take a long shot instead of have a breakaway. In this case, they couldn't have gotten to Rossi anyway.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Relax man. Rossi raped you, just go to some group to talk about it and let the feelings flow. You'll be you again in no time.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I was merely explaining the play and the decisions behind some of our players. I've actually played at the back for a while and I'm not sure others here have, so I'm just clarifying.

It doesn't seem like bianconera has, for instance.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I was merely explaining the play and the decisions behind some of our players. I've actually played at the back for a while and I'm not sure others here have, so I'm just clarifying.

It doesn't seem like bianconera has, for instance.
I can understand both views TBH. I see where you're getting from and it's a decision a defender can take. He might have positioned himself a little bit better though, so that he could at least pressure Rossi a little though. On the other hand if he goes for the challenge, it's a fifty fifty situation. I can understand why a defender wouldn't want to do that.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
We are finally discussing Rossi, after about 20 or so useless pages which did not pertain to the thread title, and involved nationalism, politics, and cultural heritage!

Well, maybe not discussing Rossi in full, but his goals last night, which at least seems to suggest we are back on track.

Mus™

Mar 16, 2009
I can't believe this is a Giuseppe Rossi thread and I barely see mention of his goal. We must buy this kid.

To add to the conversation though, I am born and live in Australia, though my parents were born in Italy.

The way I have been raised is far different to how many "Australians" have been. Obviously the cultural differences - from the food I eat to how I spend my Sunday afternoons - are evident, but also key morals and values are vastly different to others in the country. Even the football teams I follow emphasise the differences.

To say I am Australian is hard to swallow. Although, I know I'm not one hundred percent Italian either. I am labelled an Italian (by others) when it's appropriate for them and Australian at other times.

Personally, I think it's more a mix of your background and the the way you have been brought up, rather than purely where you live.

I am in the exact same situation :tup:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I can understand both views TBH. I see where you're getting from and it's a decision a defender can take. He might have positioned himself a little bit better though, so that he could at least pressure Rossi a little though. On the other hand if he goes for the challenge, it's a fifty fifty situation. I can understand why a defender wouldn't want to do that.
But the guy couldn't get in position in time unless he wanted to totally compromise his positioning with the striker next to him FFS.

It's not Jay's fault. He can protect against two things at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)