Nationality debate (18 Viewers)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I don't know the answer how to call Ghanian and Chinese kid, what nationality he would be, I think he would have to decide on that himself when he becomes older.

I for one, have both parents lithuanians. And no matter where i would live for how long i wouldn't be anyone else, but lithianian, but it's not because of genetics, its because i have liven here enough and I feel like lithuanian and i don't think it comes from genetics. I have met my grand moms and dads, I have a bond with Lithuania, which isn't genetic, and that is why I would call myself a lithuanian.

In fact i feel more Samogitian then lithuanian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samogitia

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I don't know the answer how to call Ghanian and Chinese kid, what nationality he would be, I think he would have to decide on that himself when he becomes older.

I for one, have both parents lithuanians. And no matter where i would live for how long i wouldn't be anyone else, but lithianian, but it's not because of genetics, its because i have liven here enough and I feel like lithuanian and i don't think it comes from genetics. I have met my grand moms and dads, I have a bond with Lithuania, which isn't genetic, and that is why I would call myself a lithuanian.

In fact i feel more Samogitian then lithuanian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samogitia
That's what you're saying now, after living all your life there. Move somewhere else and we'll talk in 20 years.

People have no imagination whatsoever, they can't possibly picture themselves in a different situation.

Jun 13, 2007

What if your grandparents, parents, were all Chinese. Would you still feel Lithuanian?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Martin, i know it's based on what i feel now, but i have strong bond here, even if i went somewhere abroad i would still miss it and would try remember it or visit back whenever possible. It is already in me. Although I admit, i can't know what would be if I lived 20 years somewhere else. It's just that i know i would try to keep myself lithuanian as hard as possible :)

JR, I cant answer your question, because i don't know how i would feel in this situation, i don't know how i would have been raised. For me it is not that simple as just your parents nationality.

The thing is I have visited my grand father places, i have ran in the woods in my village when i was young, I have interacted with lithuanians there all my life. So that is why i feel lithuanian, no because my mother and father are lithuanians.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Mine would undoubtedly say Polish since I was born in Poland to Polish parents. There was no inkling at the time that I would spend most of my life in Norway.

I have citizenship in both countries, legally I'm 100% a member of both. But not only that, with Schengen and I can live wherever I please in Europe (without having to apply for anything), so I'm not confined to either Poland or Norway.

Are you trying to tell me that a piece of paper determines who you are? What if the person filling out that paper decided to put Italian, would that make you Italian?

Cmon, you know better than this.
Technically speaking it is legally saying I am american. I've lived here most of my life, despite living some years abroad and my familys heritage I feel american, but I feel spiratually connected to my history but not enough to say I'm more than american. That's what I am saying, and that is what I was asking you for since your situation is different which is what I said some time ago. It is hard to find an accurrate place to draw a line.

So if you moved to let's say spain for 10 years and had two children during those 2 years and raising them there they would be considered spanish, polish and norwegian(because the parents feel norwegian only because of living there for an extended period of time?).

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Martin, i know it's based on what i feel now, but i have strong bond here, even if i went somewhere abroad i would still miss it and would try remember it or visit back whenever possible. It is already in me.
That's what everyone says.

Anyway, do you really think people who claim to know "what would have happened if" deserve to be taken seriously? You have no clue how you'd feel, that's the truth and you know it.

Same reason this "juve4life" stuff is so idiotic. You have no idea how your interests are gonna change over time. I've been following football for over 10 years and the longer it lasts the more surprised I am that it's lasted this long.

Jun 13, 2007
Martin, i know it's based on what i feel now, but i have strong bond here, even if i went somewhere abroad i would still miss it and would try remember it or visit back whenever possible. It is already in me. Although I admit, i can't know what would be if I lived 20 years somewhere else. It's just that i know i would try to keep myself lithuanian as hard as possible :)

JR, I cant answer your question, because i don't know how i would feel in this situation, i don't know how i would have been raised. For me it is not that simple as just your parents nationality.

The thing is I have visited my grand father places, i have ran in the woods in my village when i was young, I have interacted with lithuanians there all my life. So that is why i feel lithuanian, no because my mother and father are lithuanians.
But don't you think that having the comfort of knowing you belong to that country makes you feel right at home. If you were Chinese for example, you would notice that your close friends are different, you wouldn't feel very comfortable.

I know this from my personal experience. I spent my childhood in Abu Dhabi, I went to school with people from there, I never felt like I belonged over there. I felt I was too different, when I came to Lebanon, I felt right at home.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Technically speaking it is legally saying I am american. I've lived here most of my life, despite living some years abroad and my familys heritage I feel american, but I feel spiratually connected to my history but not enough to say I'm more than american. That's what I am saying, and that is what I was asking you for since your situation is different which is what I said some time ago. It is hard to find an accurrate place to draw a line.

So if you moved to let's say spain for 10 years and had two children during those 2 years and raising them there they would be considered spanish, polish and norwegian(because the parents feel norwegian only because of living there for an extended period of time?).
I would imagine they would feel Spanish above all else. But to hypothesize about fictional people doesn't really give you a lot of meaningful conclusions. That's essentially what I'm saying here, every case is different.

I tried to work this out once in detail: http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blog/index.php/2006/04/08/nationality-the-survey/

But some time after writing this I realized I was wrong to split up 100% into chunks and distribute them. Rather I should have decided for each one how many percent (so to speak). None would be 100%.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Martin, i have edited, you have missed what i wrote there.
Sure and that's the only logical conclusion. Believe me when I say people will tell you "I never knew I'd feel like this one day". I sort of don't think people who emigrate at an adult age (your age) ever "give up" their roots, at best their new country can become just as homely to them. But that's a gross generalization.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
That is what I cannot talk about, since i don't have any experience in this.

I just can say that I haven't thought about it in this way, about knowing that everyone around you is the same, and about comfort. We have a lot of russians here, but i don't think that they don't belong here in lithuania, and i don't think that they think they are a lot different then us, nothing more i can add on this.

Anyway it's funny now that i think of it. If lithuanian would ask me who am i would say that I'm samogitian :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
That is what I cannot talk about, since i don't have any experience in this.

I just can say that I haven't thought about it in this way, about knowing that everyone around you is the same, and about comfort. We have a lot of russians here, but i don't think that they don't belong here in lithuania, and i don't think that they think they are a lot different then us, nothing more i can add on this.

Anyway it's funny now that i think of it. If lithuanian would ask me who am i would say that I'm samogitian :)
You know how some people say that traveling is a way to learn about your own country? It's true. If you spend some period of time living somewhere else you'll look at your home in a totally new light. Good or bad, whatever the case. Probably good, if you thought it wasn't a great place to be in the first place.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Sure and that's the only logical conclusion. Believe me when I say people will tell you "I never knew I'd feel like this one day". I sort of don't think people who emigrate at an adult age (your age) ever "give up" their roots, at best their new country can become just as homely to them. But that's a gross generalization.
Yes, that is exactly what i was trying to say, that i can't know what will happen, but i do know that i will do my best not to "give up" on my roots. Btw, I'm not talking about my nationality that is written in password, I'm talking about my childhood spent summers in my grand parents villages.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
You know how some people say that traveling is a way to learn about your own country? It's true. If you spend some period of time living somewhere else you'll look at your home in a totally new light. Good or bad, whatever the case. Probably good, if you thought it wasn't a great place to be in the first place.
True, i would do anything that my uni would build its department in my hometown, i would move back there in a heart beat.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
So now there has to be a specific amount of time to be in an area to be "culturally accepted" and "feel" like a local?? 2 yrs, 10 yrs, half a life time or I studied the language in school with a family 4 generations back? Seems heresay to me...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
So now there has to be a specific amount of time to be in an area to be "culturally accepted" and "feel" like a local?? 2 yrs, 10 yrs, half a life time or I studied the language in school with a family 4 generations back? Seems heresay to me...
For the last time, Hust, there are no simpleminded criteria for this. Those were just examples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)