Nationality debate (24 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh definitely. I agree. I just find it weird for an American to support Juventus. If you live in Europe, you're bound to hear news about Juventus. It's one of the biggest clubs. There's no escaping from it. Whereas I feel that an American might have "picked" his club.
Well as an American we have favorite domestic teams, just as you do. But the MLS can be a joke at times so we want a bit more quality.

You're right we Americans basically "just pick a club". Sure we have special reasons for liking a club, sometimes a player or cause moves us, or an interesting history. And sometimes we just like a winner.:D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well as an American we have favorite domestic teams, just as you do. But the MLS can be a joke at times so we want a bit more quality.

You're right we Americans basically "just pick a club". Sure we have special reasons for liking a club, sometimes a player or cause moves us, or an interesting history. And sometimes we just like a winner.:D
But then why can't I support the Azzurri? If Belgium plays Italy, I support Belgium. But if Belgium aren't even playing in the World Cup, I want Italy to win. Not because I feel Italian (thank God I'm not Italian by the way), but because I like them.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
That's probably all true, but I can tell you that seeing them live is something very, very different. And you have to add the fact that you'd be in Italy. How do you react to those Italian Juventus fans? Perhaps you wouldn't like them who knows? Suddenly the word Juventus might represent something entirely different.
Of course watching your team playing live & over tv are two seperate things.Ive been fortunate to see the team play live on many occasions & for me it only fuelled my love for Juventus.Also if you havent been to Italy you have to come with an open mind & not really build up too many expectations.As for Italian Juve fans,ive clashed with a few a in 1999 because of my accent,they thought i was english & accused me of being a pool fan.Now based on that i should part ways with Juve?

There are idiots all over the world & yes a shitload of them are Juve fans.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Yes, but why would you disrespect the US? Or Iraq? They're playing for a national team FFS!
Andries, I'm not sure you're getting this here.

Non-Italian fans of Italy are some of the most arrogant fans I've ever seen, and most of them don't show any respect for my nation's football, which is fine. They don't have to respect it. But they shouldn't think that I have to respect them (those fans) in return because they support a respectable nation.

Capice?

But it's foolish to say the U.S. doesn't have a competitive national team considering we drew Italy, the world champions, last time around.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
But then why can't I support the Azzurri? If Belgium plays Italy, I support Belgium. But if Belgium aren't even playing in the World Cup, I want Italy to win. Not because I feel Italian (thank God I'm not Italian by the way), but because I like them.
I never said you couldn't. In fact, I'm not even sure where my part is in this argument.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Of course watching your team playing live & over tv are two seperate things.Ive been fortunate to see the team play live on many occasions & for me it only fuelled my love for Juventus.Also if you havent been to Italy you have to come with an open mind & not really build up too many expectations.As for Italian Juve fans,ive clashed with a few a in 1999 because of my accent,they thought i was english & accused me of being a pool fan.Now based on that i should part ways with Juve?

True that. :eyebrows:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

No, that's not what I mean. Perhaps you don't like the atmosphere or you don't like what Juventus represent in Italy. It's a very different feeling. Italians can be borderline racist if they notice you're a straniero and they can sort of reject you. I can imagine that some people would ask themselves whether they want to be part of a club that doesn't want them.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005

Pretty much the same way as non americans support NBA,NHL & NFL teams.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Andries, I'm not sure you're getting this here.

Non-Italian fans of Italy are some of the most arrogant fans I've ever seen, and most of them don't show any respect for my nation's football, which is fine. They don't have to respect it. But they shouldn't think that I have to respect them (those fans) in return because they support a respectable nation.

Capice?

But it's foolish to say the U.S. doesn't have a competitive national team considering we drew Italy, the world champions, last time around.
You mean capisce.

I agree with you, Andy. If this is the point you're trying to make.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005

So what happened in 99 ? did you tell them you were really a Juve fan ? How were you able to convince them ?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
As far as I'm concerned you need a damn good reason not to support your local team and the country of you nationality over all other clubs and countries.

The teams being rubbish is not a good reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)