Nationality debate (37 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Just admit it. You're jealous of America and you hate black people.:D
I am jealous of America in some aspects. No doubt about that.

While those were important years for him, his talent really developed at an early age playing in the U.S. he played for Olympic Development teams, chief. You can't deny he developed here first before moving to Italy.
He did for some part develop in the US. I won't deny that. And they probably did discover his talent over there as well. But to label him a traitor because he chose Italy. I don't know, I'd have a hard time doing that. We all know how immigrants generally feel about their "homecountry" and add to that the fact that Rossi has been living in Italy for a number of years and was probably called an Italian in America lots of times.. I'm sorry, I just don't see why it's so wrong.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 1, 2002

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh really? So Americans don't call Italian Americans Italians? That's new.

The thing is with Rossi you can't be sure. He really has a dual nationality. I don't see on what basis you could say he's not Italian.
Wow. People referring to themselves as :gsol:Americans proves that I call Vinnie Italian.:lol:

For me I think it's stupid to even argue what's more American. The majority of Americans can probably gain dual citizenship at the very least. It's a country of immigrants. So it's pretty much a baseless argument. As in it doesn't matter.

For me I could have six generations of chinese relatives and I'll still consider myself American. As for Rossi, he's a great talent and I think he could really have helped the NT, but it's not that big of a deal because he never really played for the US. I mean he did get discovered by the Red Bull and played in there academy before he went to Parma, was born in Jersey, and talks like a Soprano. But he never played for the US NT on any level like Subotic did, nor did he act like he was considering it either. From the get go he said he was going to play for Italy and that's fine.

If anything I (by I, I mean myself, I'm not speaking for anyone in general or Americans as a whole) feel we should be upset with the guys running our NT who insist on forcing American talent into the MLS and ignoring the young talent that plays overseas. This whole Landon Donovan/Alexi Lalas mentality that the MLS can produce the talent of the European academies is retarded and has set the NT back considerably since 2002. That and the lack of playing our best young talent by our idiot of a coach.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Wow. People referring to themselves as :gsol:Americans proves that I call Vinnie Italian.:lol:

For me I think it's stupid to even argue what's more American. The majority of Americans can probably gain dual citizenship at the very least. It's a country of immigrants. So it's pretty much a baseless argument. As in it doesn't matter.

For me I could have six generations of chinese relatives and I'll still consider myself American. As for Rossi, he's a great talent and I think he could really have helped the NT, but it's not that big of a deal because he never really played for the US. I mean he did get discovered by the Red Bull and played in there academy before he went to Parma, was born in Jersey, and talks like a Soprano. But he never played for the US NT on any level like Subotic did, nor did he act like he was considering it either. From the get go he said he was going to play for Italy and that's fine.

If anything I (by I, I mean myself, I'm not speaking for anyone in general or Americans as a whole) feel we should be upset with the guys running our NT who insist on forcing American talent into the MLS and ignoring the young talent that plays overseas. This whole Landon Donovan/Alexi Lalas mentality that the MLS can produce the talent of the European academies is retarded and has set the NT back considerably since 2002. That and the lack of playing our best young talent by our idiot of a coach.
Excellent post, Aaron. Agree with everything you wrote, even if I don't know much at all about your NT ignoring the overseas talent.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Not really.

National football and club football is different. I've already explained why I support Juventus.
I support Juventus because I like Italy. I think. I liked Italy when I was a kid, because we used to go there on holidays and Juventus for me was part of Italy. It makes more sense.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Isn't it a bit more forgivable to be an American who likes a European team and has never been to a live match, than it would if he lived on the Continent?
Oh definitely. I agree. I just find it weird for an American to support Juventus. If you live in Europe, you're bound to hear news about Juventus. It's one of the biggest clubs. There's no escaping from it. Whereas I feel that an American might have "picked" his club.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
To suggest someone is a mock fan because they havent seen their team play live is pathetic,hell probably 70% of the members in this forum havent seen Juve play live.I know a shitload of italians,portugese,greek & english south africans that have never seen their team play live,not to mention that some folk cant afford a bloody air ticket let alone accommodation,food & match tickets in europe.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I support Juventus because I like Italy. I think. I liked Italy when I was a kid, because we used to go there on holidays and Juventus for me was part of Italy. It makes more sense.
Lets be clear here. I don't hate Italy. I grew up watching the Azzurri and went to matches at the 1994 World Cup. They were cool and played the sort of football I like, especially Roberto.

But I have no love for the snide fans of Italy from other countries. I can't respect them because they show no respect for us, which is fine with me.

I respect the Azzurri and most of their players, but their non-Italian fans can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Excellent post, Aaron. Agree with everything you wrote, even if I don't know much at all about your NT ignoring the overseas talent.
Subotic is the biggest example. The guy came up through our USA developmental program which is headquarterd in Bradenton, Florida. Then he went to play at U of South Florida and then Dortmund signed him. The NT coaches didn't like his move and didn't give him a cap. If he had gone to the MLS he would have been capped years ago. Instead, he starts for Serbia.

And it all LANDYCAKES' FAULT!:D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
To suggest someone is a mock fan because they havent seen their team play live is pathetic,hell probably 70% of the members in this forum havent seen Juve play live.I know a shitload of italians,portugese,greek & english south africans that have never seen their team play live,not to mention that some folk cant afford a bloody air ticket let alone accommodation,food & match tickets in europe.
That's probably all true, but I can tell you that seeing them live is something very, very different. And you have to add the fact that you'd be in Italy. How do you react to those Italian Juventus fans? Perhaps you wouldn't like them who knows? Suddenly the word Juventus might represent something entirely different.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Lets be clear here. I don't hate Italy. I grew up watching the Azzurri and went to matches at the 1994 World Cup. They were cool and played the sort of football I like, especially Roberto.

But I have no love for the snide fans of Italy from other countries. I can't respect them because they show no respect for us, which is fine with me.

I respect the Azzurri and most of their players, but their non-Italian fans can suck it as far as I'm concerned.
What do you mean respect? I respect the USA national team just like I respect every other national team.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'd say 95% of this forum haven't seen Juventus play live.

And it's even more pathetic to suggest that kids in their teens that haven't gone to a match are Mock-fans, but that's Bianconero for you.

Sep 1, 2002

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)