Nationality debate (17 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2006
There just seems to be no pride anymore. I understand that Rossi wants the best for his career and USA isn't on par with italy, but that opens the door for people to try and find loop holes. The honor is gone, I am sure in africa players play for pride and honor to represent their country, even if the team sucks. That's how I feel about rossi, he just is an overly proud italian-american that stretched the system in a way that it wasn't intended. National team should be about honor and pride above anything else.
I agree. Players should play for the country where they were born. You should not be able to just switch sides.

Although the african example may not be the best as alot of the french national team is african.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Very Wrong IMO!.. You should play for the country you are from !.. Blood.
So Zidane should have played for Algeria? How about Rio Ferdinand, should he have played for a Carribean country(wherever the fuck he's from)?

Let's say Andy was a footballer, should he have played for Germany? I mean afterall, his ancestors were German ala Amauri and Camoranesi.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
So Zidane should have played for Algeria? How about Rio Ferdinand, should he have played for a Carribean country(wherever the fuck he's from)?

Let's say Andy was a footballer, should he have played for Germany? I mean afterall, his ancestors were German ala Amauri and Camoranesi.
He's part Irish I think :p

Mar 30, 2006
Very Wrong IMO!.. You should play for the country you are from !.. Blood.
I dont know man. Cuz that would mean like a load of ppl who are in north america would not not play for Canada or the USA despite calling the country their home and being born there. You owe it to your country .. you are educated there, grow up there, have friends there... etc

May 4, 2004

Take it easy.. As i said it was MY opinion!.. BUT HELL YEAH!. Im not born in Denmark, let's say I was.. And I had to chose to play for Kosova or Denmark, there is no doubt that I would pick Kosova, even if it would mean a bad option for my football future..!

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
not yet but we could use him in a year or 2 so if we have a chance now .. we might as well i think.
the question is how can u play all this striker force u will have
Diego Giovinco Del piero Iaqunta Amauri and Rossi.. that's a lot and all of them are world class no average players so u can't bench 2 or 3 of them just like that !!! we don't need him now that's for sure....

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I can completely understand Andy's position on Rossi. Scotland have had players like that have defected to Ireland and I hate them.
:tup:

His heritage, personal history are Italian, why wouldn't he want to play for them.

He loves football, and to play soccer would be painful, to say the least.

It's not as if America, as a football team have much to offer.
We have much more to offer than you do as a pinhead poster.

I agree, it's the opposite situation with what Ghanans would think of Freddie Adu and Mario Balotelli.

Rossi has stated always his desire to play for Italy and represented them from U-16, and now plays for La Nazionale. He's not ever even playing in the U.S.

I can understand the frustration, but there's nothing to be done about it.
What are you talking about? Rossi played for years in the United States.

Didn't know that all your bloody history [no pun intended, really!] goes that deep to actually get pissed off because of the origins of players playing for your nation's teams.

I guess I'm just the usual Latinamerican who's used to being a mix of essentially everything. [Though it'd be fun if there was an Argentinian who'd be angry that many of their players are actually italian in origin, or that an American would protest having players with names as 'foreign' as Kljestan, Onyewu, etc in their team.]

Does it really matter where they're from as long as they want to play for the team?Especially if having a choice?
You don't get it. If people went on bloodlines for citizenship, the U.S. wouldn't be allowed to compete in any competition considering this place is a melting pot of ethnicities.

Yep, for like 6 yrs. I was in the 82/83 bracket, so Rossi would have been younger.
That's pretty sick. What position did you play?

Rossi = Trezeguet + $.

A win win win win situation for Guiseppe, David, Juventus and Villareal.
Rossi = Asshat

There just seems to be no pride anymore. I understand that Rossi wants the best for his career and USA isn't on par with italy, but that opens the door for people to try and find loop holes. The honor is gone, I am sure in africa players play for pride and honor to represent their country, even if the team sucks. That's how I feel about rossi, he just is an overly proud italian-american that stretched the system in a way that it wasn't intended. National team should be about honor and pride above anything else.
:tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)