'Murica! (67 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Well you cant deny the positive effects for us if you read the text

- - - Updated - - -

I have always voted left (SP) and voted NSC and SP during novembers elections here. A center and left party

Screenshot_20240305-184842_Gallery.jpg
I'm honestly surprised. Your political posts seem a bit more right than what I would agree with, and I'd consider myself maybe centre-right in terms of UK politics at least. Isn't NSC considered more centre-right now?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
To be honest I think it's quite likely the Supreme Court came to this decision out of fear republican states would retaliate and get Biden off the ticket.

The way republicans have handled politics over the last few years has been deceitful at the very least and it's a party on the verge of imploding rescued by ill informed lunatics, who are indeed deplorables. My hope is that, once Trump is gone, the republican party can revert to normalcy so that there will be room for capable politicians.
There is no normalcy in US politics no matter what side youre on - no idea what you see over here as normal?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how SCOTUS 3 liberal justices came to the same conclusion? Are you saying all 9 are afraid of republican states?

to me the decision was simple - states can’t interfere like that in federal elections. Even the 3 libs questioned the decisions pretty hard in the oral arguments. Voters will decide who they want in November. To me, that’s the only thing the left seems to be afraid of?

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
There is no normalcy in US politics no matter what side youre on - no idea what you see over here as normal?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how SCOTUS 3 liberal justices came to the same conclusion? Are you saying all 9 are afraid of republican states?

to me the decision was simple - states can’t interfere like that in federal elections. Even the 3 libs questioned the decisions pretty hard in the oral arguments. Voters will decide who they want in November. To me, that’s the only thing the left seems to be afraid of?
I think the ruling was that Congress would have to declare it an insurrection and invoke the 14th, then theoretically states could do whatever they want after that point.

State AGs or election officials can’t invoke the 14th or declare an insurrection. They are however in charge of elections and have their own rules for getting on the ballot. As long as a candidate meets those and they can’t boot them off.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think the ruling was that Congress would have to declare it an insurrection and invoke the 14th, then theoretically states could do whatever they want after that point.

State AGs or election officials can’t invoke the 14th or declare an insurrection. They are however in charge of elections and have their own rules for getting on the ballot. As long as a candidate meets those and they can’t boot them off.
This falls on congress - either they do it or they don’t. I agree but it’s a clear overreach by these states so much so that they got skunked by SCOTUS. All the court did was tell the states that congress needs to fix this.

As I said earlier - if the left is so convinced they have the superior chance this November why not let the voters make that call? It’s like saying they don’t trust democracy. States suddenly wiping out the will of massive voting block because one side doesn’t like the candidate (which I can’t remember what justice brought that up - Gorsuch maybe) is dangerous.

——

ROFL @doritos

Juvellino

Mar 19, 2015
I guess this election cycle might be a good idea to be a veep to either of the 2 candidates (old farts). Never know when you may have to step up from the veep position and serve the nation as the Prez.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine if Allegri became the president!
This is why I don’t understand why Nikki Haley stayed in the primary so long. She was never going to win and actually had a political future.

Jun 16, 2020
I'm honestly surprised. Your political posts seem a bit more right than what I would agree with, and I'd consider myself maybe centre-right in terms of UK politics at least. Isn't NSC considered more centre-right now?
It’s probably because I’m outspoken about LGBTQ here, which dominated the news last year and in my opinion isn’t even a movement which stands for traditional left values, it’s more a very extreme progressive ideology.

In terms of housing, healthcare, social services, not making the gap between rich and poor to big, im very left in fact but somehow those subjects don’t dominate public debate, therefore I can understand if someone gets the idea that I’m more right oriented. And if someone denies the problems with migration at this point you’re just blind to the facts.

I think with fragmentation in politics it isn’t wise to define yourself as either right- or left and therefore exclude the option to vote for parties at either side. There will be times where left is the best option and there will be times where right is the best option.

As for NSC, they’re the roadblock in the formation here now, not willing to form a right government. They’re right on climate (for nuclear options instead of windmills and stuff), right on migration, but definitely left on social services and human rights. Oddly enough Wilders party is left on social services aswel, but their opinions on Islam puts them on the right end of the spectrum.

Personally I’m hoping that Wilders becomes president. Might be a contradiction to the things I’ve just said but it’s simply acknowledging what public opinion wants here, that should be respected imo. In for referendums aswel, sometimes the outcome isn’t what we’d like but after all politics should listen to the civilians and not the other way around.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.

There is real fear of republicans. There are no lows republicans will not sink down to at this point.

The decision - to me - is one born out of pragmatism. The Supreme Court did not investigate whether Trump was an insurrectionist or not. We all know he was. The core of the decision are these lines:

"Conflicting state outcomes concerning the same candidate could result not just from differing views of the merits, but from variations in state law governing the proceedings that are necessary to make Section 3 disqualification determinations. Some States might allow a Section 3 challenge to succeed based on a preponderance of the evidence, while others might require a heightened showing. Certain evidence (like the congressional Report on which the lower courts relied here) might be admissible in some States but inadmissible hearsay in others. Disqualification might be possible only through criminal prosecution, as opposed to expedited civil proceedings, in particular States. Indeed, in some States—unlike Colorado (or Maine, where the secretary of state recently issued an order excluding former President Trump from the primary ballot)—procedures for excluding an ineligible candidate from the ballot may not exist at all. The result could well be that a single candidate would be declared ineligible in some States, but not others, based on the same conduct (and perhaps even the same factual record). The “patchwork” that would likely result from state enforcement would “sever the direct link that the Framers found so critical between the National Government and the people of the United States” as a whole.".

And I agree. It's just not practical to have candidates that could be barred from holding office in some states, but not in others. The outcome could probably even lead to violence and I read the last phrase as saying that it could result in civil war. This is correct.

The Supreme Court goes on to say:

"But in a Presidential election “the impact of the votes cast in each State is affected by the votes cast”— or, in this case, the votes not allowed to be cast—“for the various candidates in other States.” Anderson, 460 U. S., at 795. An evolving electoral map could dramatically change the behavior of voters, parties, and States across the country, in different ways and at different times. The disruption would be all the more acute—and could nullify the votes of millions and change the election result—if Section 3 enforcement were attempted after the Nation has voted. Nothing in the Constitution requires that we endure such chaos—arriving at any time or different times, up to and perhaps beyond the Inauguration.".

This is all very true. It feels very uneasy to allow the election to be disrupted in this way.

None of this changes the fact that Trump was an insurrectionist, tried to take the presidency by force on January 6th and should not be allowed - by Congress - to run for the presidency this time around. The fact Congress does allow him as a candidate confirms that the republican party simply does not care about the core democratic principles of the United States of America.

So what is the left afraid of? A dictatorship. Clear and simple. And they have every reason to be afraid. Again, this is not a vote between two normal parties. This is a vote for either a party that respects basic democratic rights or a vote for a party with a candidate that presents himself as a dictator. You get to decide if you care about liberty.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It’s probably because I’m outspoken about LGBTQ here, which dominated the news last year and in my opinion isn’t even a movement which stands for traditional left values, it’s more a very extreme progressive ideology.
Why are rights for everyone considered "extreme"?

Unfortunately, the deep state wants 2 highly polarized parties: easier to control the sheep.
They do NOT want a centrist government or a 3rd party. They also don’t want libertarians.
That probably explains why the "Libertarians" (and also even some left-leaners, apparently) are really just Christofascist authoritarians now. As well as others on the far right.

I really hope Trump doesn't listen to these scumbags and just focuses on the economy.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Why are rights for everyone considered "extreme"?

That probably explains why the "Libertarians" (and also even some left-leaners, apparently) are really just Christofascist authoritarians now. As well as others on the far right.

I really hope Trump doesn't listen to these scumbags and just focuses on the economy.
You mean the guy who went bankrupt dozens of times, can't even estimate the value of his own property and isn't able to pay off damages when he is supposedly worth billions?

Trump should be the last person you want focussing on the economy.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You mean the guy who went bankrupt dozens of times, can't even estimate the value of his own property and isn't able to pay off damages when he is supposedly worth billions?

Trump should be the last person you want focussing on the economy.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
The economy was pretty decent under Trump's first term. The President can only do so much when it comes to inflation since the unchecked Federal Reserve can do what it wants with monetary policy, but at least Trump would try to open up more sources of nat gas and oil drilling in the country. And whether people like it or not, reducing taxes across the board is usually a good thing for the economy.

They have the same rights as everyone else, the constitution is very clear. By saying that they need special rights you’re basically discriminating
But they don't. That's the point.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The economy was pretty decent under Trump's first term. The President can only do so much when it comes to inflation since the unchecked Federal Reserve can do what it wants with monetary policy, but at least Trump would try to open up more sources of nat gas and oil drilling in the country. And whether people like it or not, reducing taxes across the board is usually a good thing for the economy.

But they don't. That's the point.
I think the short term impact of presidents (or other world leaders) is usually vastly overrated. The economy could have been booming because of measures taken by Obama, because by its nature most policy needs time to generate an effect. The same goes for Biden btw. He's credited for lowering unemployment rates in recent years, but is it that easy to trace back such a huge phenomenon to just the decisions made by Biden? I have my doubts.

There are dozens of reasons not to vote for Trump though. There is of course the fact he's a lying rapist. I mean, even in this strange world that is still a good enough reason to vote on someone else. I'm not sure why so many people are casually ignoring this. But on the top of my list would be that he's not in a secure place financially and is susceptible to influence from just about any foreign power willing to throw him a bone. What happens if Putin says he wants to give him a billion for making a certain judgment call?

I think it's odd that Americans are willing to take such a security risk, when this is usually something they care about a lot more than Europeans.

- - - Updated - - -

They have the same rights as everyone else, the constitution is very clear. By saying that they need special rights you’re basically discriminating

The way they voice their message annoys me to no end. I haven't forgotten them hijacking the Qatar debate about labor rights.

But in what way do they ask for special rights? Could you name one such right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 59)