'Murica! (114 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Let’s be honest here. Ohio is a shithole. Easily the worst state.

- - - Updated - - -

right-wing political hack post in-coming:

https://readlion.com/2023/02/17/ano...ct-axes-honors-classes-in-the-name-of-equity/

Punish the smart kids to make the dumb kids feel better about being dumb. Reparations and dumbing kids down. Bravo CA. :tup:

//

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/...y-gpa-college-admissions-kids-students-grades
This is a little ridiculous, honestly. They're also making their students less competitive for more prestigious out of state schools. Culver City is mostly white and Asian, too.

Last edited:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I think it's inevitable really unless a major international(maybe intergalactic) event takes place. But this time around, it's the north that will be all feeling gay when johnny comes marching home.
It’s only inevitable if we accept that the loud ass 15-20% on the far right and 15-20% on the far left get to control the political discourse and set the narrative over the other 60-70% of the population that could find some common ground and work together on a lot of things to find reasonable compromises and some balance.

But who am I kidding, as long as we allow the political elite class to drag half of us in the centre one way and the other half the other way… to the point where we’re actively trying to find our common ground with the loons out on the fringe, you are probably right, that’s where we’re heading unfortunately.

Personally I desperately want a centrist party that divorces itself from both sides finally. Both there in the US and here in Canada.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Let’s be honest here. Ohio is a shithole. Easily the worst state.

Though they're just caught in the middle of schlepping the crap for people with an insatiable desire.

It’s only inevitable if we accept that the loud ass 15-20% on the far right and 15-20% on the far left get to control the political discourse and set the narrative over the other 60-70% of the population that could find some common ground and work together on a lot of things to find reasonable compromises and some balance.

But who am I kidding, as long as we allow the political elite class to drag half of us in the centre one way and the other half the other way… to the point where we’re actively trying to find our common ground with the loons out on the fringe, you are probably right, that’s where we’re heading unfortunately.

Personally I desperately want a centrist party that divorces itself from both sides finally. Both there in the US and here in Canada.
If politics gonna be a circus, peeps want their clowns.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The only side I see calling for a civil war, at least right now, are the likes of MTG and Jack POSobiec. It's no surprise a lot of them are also big fans of Putin and Russia for various reasons. Also seeing a lot of conspiracy theories about Project Veritas. So basically everything is a plot to destroy the "family" or whatever. The level of insane rhetoric is the worst it's ever been, IMO.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Politics aside in most debates it's extreme viewpoints that stand out the most and garner most attention. I guess this leads to a silent majority that is, almost always, a lot more centrist. The problem is how do you mobilize that silent majority? The call for more centrist viewpoints, a more reasonable approach to things isn't exactly very attractive. And while the US and Canada may be very good examples of this, I think it's an issue we face all over the world. In European countries you see that most of the time these extremist parties are excluded from any real governing, but they do get a lot of media attention and have control over much of the debate.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It gets media attention because it's outlandish and entertaining. The core aspect of any medium is to be entertaining. The middle-centrist is a boring news story.
Exactly.

But this is a problem in a society that consumes news the way we do. More moderate ideas get lost, while they usually make the most sense.

Apr 12, 2004
Exactly, I agree.

I tend to not watch any "America-centric" news. I get most of my stuff from either BBC/BBC America, Al Jazeera English, or CNN International. I can't stand most of the "news" in the US. 60k people are dead in an earthquake and they are on some morning show talking about some cat that has three legs and found a home in Augusta, Georgia. I could not care less, and that isn't news.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Exactly, I agree.

I tend to not watch any "America-centric" news. I get most of my stuff from either BBC/BBC America, Al Jazeera English, or CNN International. I can't stand most of the "news" in the US. 60k people are dead in an earthquake and they are on some morning show talking about some cat that has three legs and found a home in Augusta, Georgia. I could not care less, and that isn't news.

American networks are incredibly polarizing. I was in shock the first time I was in the US and watched the news day in day out, I couldn't understand this was legal. Some of it was downright inflammatory. Don't get me wrong, European networks have an underlying agenda too. In no way am I saying they are more neutral or more objective. But at least they try to sound neutral lol.

It can be tricky though. For example over here we are really being spoonfed the idea that Russian society and economy are suffering and almost dead, that Russia have had heavy military losses during the war and that Putin's reign can be over any minute. But the reality is that Russia's war effort is still ongoing. If my media outlets were telling me a year ago that Russians would starve to death, how come they are still fighting now? To be honest I don't even think it's a conscious form of manipulation, it's just arrogance on the part of our news channels.

Apr 12, 2004
A year ago they were all saying that Kiev would be down in three days.

In any case, you're right, it is polarizing. We have to find the entertaining news points in a two-party, dumb system. In the grand scheme our parties really aren't super different, ideologically, so you have to go to the fringes to find the SUPER SCARY NEWS STORY WATCH OR YOU WILL DIE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 104)