'Murica! (72 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I also think trying to censor people like Joe Rogan on Spotify. I don't understand why they have to resort to such tactics. You're making martyrs out of misinformed people, and giving ammo to tinfoil hat consipiracists and pseudo experts.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I also think trying to censor people like Joe Rogan on Spotify. I don't understand why they have to resort to such tactics. You're making martyrs out of misinformed people, and giving ammo to tinfoil hat consipiracists and pseudo experts.
Isn't Joe Rogan the single most popular source of news now? Doesn't seem like the campaign against him is working lol

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Isn't Joe Rogan the single most popular source of news now? Doesn't seem like the campaign against him is working lol
and it won't work.

Plus so what? He brought on guests that don't agree with the conventional view? There is certainly a lot more tendency from the left to censor people. That just never works, and only fuels this rising tide of post factism.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Joe Rogans biggest problem is that he tends to latch on to whatever opinion his guest has, unless it’s weed or covid, and rarely challenges their ideas. You could go on his show and say the most ridiculous stuff and he’d probably agree with you unless you were against marijuana.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
and it won't work.

Plus so what? He brought on guests that don't agree with the conventional view? There is certainly a lot more tendency from the left to censor people. That just never works, and only fuels this rising tide of post factism.
Corporate media is in their control so unable to understand and compete with this new model they just try to silence it. It’s funny that in early days of America Federalists tried to do the same to Republicans and it backfired so badly that Federalists soon ceased to exist.
This self-own NPR article is another example of how stupid corporate media can be:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Do you really believe that?

I mean, you might not agree with everything he says, criticize him or whatever. But an idiot? Have a quick look at his Google scholar page, and see how much he's been cited. The guy is one of the foremost authorities in immunology. Do you really think the tens if not hundreds of thousands of his peers in medicine are idiots too.
The guy has flip flopped way too much. I don’t trust him at all.
You can be book smart and absolutely dumb with everything else. The man tells the world if you’re against him you’re against science. He can’t handle push back from his peers and that tells me he can’t back up what he says against a challenge.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Do you really believe that?

I mean, you might not agree with everything he says, criticize him or whatever. But an idiot? Have a quick look at his Google scholar page, and see how much he's been cited. The guy is one of the foremost authorities in immunology. Do you really think the tens if not hundreds of thousands of his peers in medicine are idiots too.
My dad worked with him on a few studies back in the day.

Hust just called my dad an idiot. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Less about Fauci, more about striking down against the people who would listen to him. Kinda like going after Taylor Swift not because of Taylor so much as getting back at the Swifties.
Makes sense. I don't mind Tay-Tay. But yeah, some of her fans are really dumb.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Is it really censoring though? People throw around "censor" loosely. Neil Young didn't want to be profiting from an organization that profited from misinformation. That's a personal choice. Credit to him for standing up for his beliefs by backing it up with financial skin in the game, but there was never a question he would be off the platform as a result.

But what you suggest has merit. Conspiracy theorists are attracted to the censorship, presuming people are trying to hide the truth. Interesting opinion from the Royal Society this week:

https://royalsociety.org/news/2022/01/scientific-misinformation-report/

Joe Rogans biggest problem is that he tends to latch on to whatever opinion his guest has, unless it’s weed or covid, and rarely challenges their ideas. You could go on his show and say the most ridiculous stuff and he’d probably agree with you unless you were against marijuana.
Joe Rogan is like the joke about CEOs: their latest priority or passion is based on the last conversation they had.

Alex Jones is very entertaining
Infotainment is the new norm. You cannot do one without the other, whether it's Fox News or the older variant of The Daily Show.

People need to be entertained at least as much as they believe they want to be informed. Without it, the attraction collapses.

The guy has flip flopped way too much. I don’t trust him at all.
You can be book smart and absolutely dumb with everything else. The man tells the world if you’re against him you’re against science. He can’t handle push back from his peers and that tells me he can’t back up what he says against a challenge.
Flip-flopped? Yeah, there are some government policy issues that weren't just him that I have issue with ... but that was more the CDC saying masks were no longer necessary to goad people into getting vaccinations, not something specifically from Fauci.

Most of the flip-flopping I've seen in Fauci is based on the latest variant or research on it. At some point, it becomes ridiculous to call out the Catholic Church for flip-flopping on Copernican physics.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Is it really censoring though? People throw around "censor" loosely. Neil Young didn't want to be profiting from an organization that profited from misinformation. That's a personal choice. Credit to him for standing up for his beliefs by backing it up with financial skin in the game, but there was never a question he would be off the platform as a result.

But what you suggest has merit. Conspiracy theorists are attracted to the censorship, presuming people are trying to hide the truth. Interesting opinion from the Royal Society this week:

https://royalsociety.org/news/2022/01/scientific-misinformation-report/

Is that really what he did though? If that was his intention, he would just say take my music off spotify, i dont want to be profiting from an organization that profits of misinformation. But he didnt, he gave them a choice between himself and Rogan. I'm guessing he thought they would choose him.

Its the same with the medical experts writing an open letter to Spotify basically asking them to remove Rogan from the platform. Personally i would have preferred if instead their letter just addressed the misinformation, and made a point to the public that you should look at the studies, research and empirical evidence, rather than take your medical advice from a podcast hosted by a comedian.

I don't think these kind of moves do any good. Because people who take vaccine advice from a comedian, will find another pseudo expert on the internet to confirm to them their conspiracy that the elites are out to get them, or whatever other conspiracy the Igor Tudors out there believe in. These moves increase Igor Tudors in our society, they do not suddenly make them more amenable to evidence, expertise and reason.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
The only five minutes of the bald retard I ever watched was when Alex Honnold was on his show and the bald retard tried to educate him about nutrition and training

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Is that really what he did though? If that was his intention, he would just say take my music off spotify, i dont want to be profiting from an organization that profits of misinformation. But he didnt, he gave them a choice between himself and Rogan. I'm guessing he thought they would choose him.

Its the same with the medical experts writing an open letter to Spotify basically asking them to remove Rogan from the platform. Personally i would have preferred if instead their letter just addressed the misinformation, and made a point to the public that you should look at the studies, research and empirical evidence, rather than take your medical advice from a podcast hosted by a comedian.

I don't think these kind of moves do any good. Because people who take vaccine advice from a comedian, will find another pseudo expert on the internet to confirm to them their conspiracy that the elites are out to get them, or whatever other conspiracy the Igor Tudors out there believe in. These moves increase Igor Tudors in our society, they do not suddenly make them more amenable to evidence, expertise and reason.
What he did was a tradition going back to the 60s & 70s hippie that he was.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22905047/joe-rogan-spotify-neil-young-boycott

He is using his voice to make a point ... to stand up for an ethical position and hope it raises some attention and others (listeners, musicians) might follow in protest. This is what people do when they delete their Facebook accounts, really.

The importance of him choosing to pose a challenge to Spotify vs just removing his music is that he shifts the perspective and responsibility on to Spotify. Suddenly it's not him taking his toys from the sandbox and walking off, but he's goaded Spotify in looking more like they could not meet his conditions and therefore he had to go. It's more confrontational and it makes Spotify look more like the ones with the agency to make a choice.

I can't see Neil Young believing he has even an iota of the current relevance of a Joe Rogan though. Because if he did that to a smaller podcaster where he looked bigger, he would come out looking like the bully. There's a critical importance of punching up vs punching down, as in comedy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 61)