'Murica! (78 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Some Democrats absolutely did. But that is the game we are playing now. Some Republicans did the same for Obama before him.

The one difference is Trump basically riled up the hysterics against him. Which maybe is good trolling comedy. But it just made everybody uglier about it and brought out more of the stupid on both sides.
And that was my point to Osman. If you don't know how polarized our elections are right now then you haven't been paying attention. The pendulum always returns to center which is what I think is slowly playing out. We saw two extremes from both sides so whatever happens between Biden/Trump I got what I wanted (my response to Daidevil) so the next 4 years will be a flash.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 6, 2015
You guys bring up scale of dead people voting really not enough to tilt the scales, same goes for Russia interfering like they always do. 2016 victory for Trump was not because Russia was the decisive edge that got him over the finish line, it was because Hillary was a terrible candidate.
Not going to argue over any of that. Russia interfered with the election but really hard know if it actually had an effect on the result (probably not).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-did-russian-interference-affect-the-2016-election/

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
And that was my point to Osman. If you don't know how polarized our elections are right now then you haven't been paying attention. The pendulum always returns to center which is what I think is slowly playing out. We saw two extremes from both sides so whatever happens between Biden/Trump I got what I wanted (my response to Daidevil) so the next 4 years will be a flash.
Look, as much as I do believe Kavanaugh got drunk as a teenager and got in some girl's pants in high school (like that never happens), the existential hysterics on the Left was something we don't see even among the "Hispanic panic" stereotypes. That was not fun. Trump triggering bringing out the worst in people.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

Lol. Where do they find these morons? This is a congresswoman-elect.
not sure if morons or just trying to push an agenda.

discrediting the system is the way to go if you want to run an authoritarian govt. trump is the one true daddy, only what he says is true.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The motion comes days after the New York Times reported an internal “outcry” at the law firm over its decision to represent Trump in the campaign’s Pennsylvania lawsuits, which reportedly caused at least one lawyer to resign from the firm in protest.
Damn, that dude must have really hated Trump.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Why does it seem like every republican on Tuz is a conspiracy theorist? Like is there something that makes republicans more prone to believing in conspiracy theories? I really don't get it.
It's more than just conspiracy theories, but people just believe what they want to believe these days. Whether something is true or not is entirely besides the point.

Media outlet A, B, C, D, E, & F is reporting that there was no fraud: Pfff, I don't trust those guys. That just has to be fake news.
Random dude on twitter is reporting that there was fraud: He's telling the truth. They stole the election!!!

Lol. Where do they find these morons? This is a congresswoman-elect.
"Notice anything fishy?"

Yes, I sure do! :D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Andy / @Bjerknes ... curious if you've followed Peter Turchin's predictions that economic dynamics -- based on human history -- suggest we are in for a very turbulent time for at least the next 5-10 years. One of his premises is this idea of oversupply of elites ("elite overproduction" in his jargon) ... where people are shown the pathway to the trappings of the ruling class through Ivy League college degrees (hello admission scandals), cush management consulting gigs, amass millions of dollars, etc., but still find that there are only so many limited seats in the true ruling class club.

This supposedly spawns anti-elite resentment, in his theory, because they did all the things society told them they needed to do to become the GOATs in their fields but instead find themselves on the outside looking in still. (Bloomberg take.) It's kind of like the "I'm special" victimization of millennials applied to rich people.

Which is one explanation for Trump: the guy born with a silver spoon in his mouth, thinks he followed all the programs to establish himself as ruling class legitimacy, found himself mocked and locked out of the real club, and pivoted to a personal political campaign where he rallied against those in power so he could show them up. It would even explain his many "Revenge of the Nerds" cabinet appointments to rub it in the faces of all the cool kids from high school.

Thoughs?

His three pillars seem to be elite overproduction (plausible), declining living standards among the general population (check), and a government that can cash its checks for its financial positions (double check).
I haven't read much into his work, but that theory makes a lot of sense to me. But an overproduction of elites isn't necessarily a bad thing though as this increases competition at the top. So the question becomes what do the "new elites" do to either become "part of the club", which might not be possible, or do they act as a somewhat equal and opposite force against the original elite. If the latter, then this leads to the question of what strategies do they use to achieve their goals - maybe polarizing the country would be one of them.

This problem is one that is difficult to solve because you're going to end up screwing somebody pretty badly. The Bloomberg article mentions taxing inheritances, setting up wealth taxes, and limiting PhD's as solutions. But at this point, I don't see how any of that solves the problem of reducing the amount of elites. The old money elites will be there until they die, so perhaps taxing the shit out of their inheritances would help, but that's difficult to control and surely there will be loopholes built into that tax code. Wealth taxes and limiting PhD's would seemingly create blockers for everyone else, meaning the elite have less competition, so that strategy doesn't make sense to me either. That would be more like preserving what's already in place.

I know folks don't like when I get on my soapbox about this, but this is why I'm such a huge advocate of limiting the power of government. The elites use government to increase their power and wealth, usually by means of rent-seeking or lobbying. So by curtailing this problem, we limit at least some of the power the elite have in leading the country to the pits of hell, which lessens the problem of overproduction of elites since it won't pay to be in politics a anymore. And if it doesn't pay to be in politics anymore, maybe we can start to limit government expenditures, thus tackling the problem of inflation for sustainability at the expense of real wage growth.

You've mentioned a lottery system for public service in the past. Honestly, I don't think that's a bad idea, really, and could also help solve this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it seem like every republican on Tuz is a conspiracy theorist? Like is there something that makes republicans more prone to believing in conspiracy theories? I really don't get it.
To be fair, every Democrat on Tuz is also a conspiracy theorist considering they bought the Russia hoax and racism stuff from day 1. And day 1 was even before Trump started his presidency.

Jun 6, 2015
To be fair, every Democrat on Tuz is also a conspiracy theorist considering they bought the Russia hoax and racism stuff from day 1. And day 1 was even before Trump started his presidency.
What do you mean by the Russian hoax? Do you mean the Russian interference to the 2016 US election that your intelligence agencies investigated which lead to sentencing of quite a few Trump campaign officials was all actually a hoax? Seems to me that the conspiracy theory here is again the Trump narrative that you guys blindly follow.

Racism in the US is also a conspiracy? You should tell that to your fellow citizens.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/09/key-findings-on-americans-views-of-race-in-2019/

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What do you mean by the Russian hoax? Do you mean the Russian interference to the 2016 US election that your intelligence agencies investigated which lead to sentencing of quite a few Trump campaign officials was all actually a hoax? Seems to me that the conspiracy theory here is again the Trump narrative that you guys blindly follow.

Racism in the US is also a conspiracy? You should tell that to your fellow citizens.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/04/09/key-findings-on-americans-views-of-race-in-2019/
They've been saying Trump is in the pocket of Putin for years now, while also saying he's a deep-seated racist. If you have any evidence of him making decisions with money from Putin or donating money to the KKK, please let me know. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)