'Murica! (72 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I see James Woods is 100% retarded. And has no idea how to use a simple google search.

Whatever the belief in human caused climate change (hurr durr all scientists are part of conspiracy to lie to everybody lol)... We had a record breaking forest fire season in 2018, just two years ago (2017 was the second worst historically behind it). It tore through the province. Usually there is a respite for a couple years after such a season burns away most of the undergrowth/dry dead wood that has built up.

:lol:

Last edited:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I see James Woods is 100% retarded. And has no idea how to use a simple google search.

Whatever the belief in human caused climate change (hurr durr all scientists are part of conspiracy to lie to everybody lol)... We had a record breaking forest fire season in 2018, just two years ago (2017 was the second worst historically behind it). It tore through the province. Usually there is a respite for a couple years after such a season burns away most of the undergrowth/dry dead wood that has built up.

:lol:
anti science people are the most retarded group out there.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It would be interesting to see how many of these fires were actually caused by mankind, as in clowns starting a campfire or throwing fireworks for gender reveal parties. Anybody deliberately committing arson should be thrown in a fire after trial.
something like 85% of wild fires are caused by people

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Never been to that part of Mexico but I'd imagine there isn't much to burn down in Baja. Not sure how much Canada does in terms of maintaining forests but something tells me there aren't as many retards starting fires for various reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

That high? I was going to say 50% perhaps, with lightning taking the biggest single cause.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It would be interesting to see how many of these fires were actually caused by mankind, as in clowns starting a campfire or throwing fireworks for gender reveal parties. Anybody deliberately committing arson should be thrown in a fire after trial.
Because the west coast is so sparsely populated through such massive areas (my province far more so than Cali, Oregon, Washington), a lot of blazes are begun by lightning strikes in the bush and by the time the fire is detected it can be raging out of control. Of course vast majority of fires closer to cities are because of complete jackasses and doing things like having bonfires in the midst of fire ban season, or fireworks, or cigarette butts, etc.

A big part of the issue is climate change (man made or no is irrelevant here, even if it’s a likely mix of the two, mankind exacerbating natural climate change cycle), with rising temps and less rainfall/more drought creating better conditions for fires to quickly rage out of control. But a big problem is also forest management, which is difficult to solve due to just how massive the space in the west that is undeveloped and would need management is. It’s a massive undertaking, and from the very start is undermined by logging industry practices and lack of regulation. And this isn’t a Democrat or Republican problem, it’s a governance problem that crosses party lines, and logging companies that raked massive profits for decades should be held responsible for a large part of this forestry mismanagement. Ironically they are also bashing both state and federal government for not doing enough when decades of timber industry malfeasance alongside standard practice of putting out every fire for the last 100 years as quickly as possible has led to this current situation.

It also doesn’t help that the Trump administration lies constantly about this (so have other admins) in passing the buck onto the states, and blaming them, when the majority of forest land in the west is under federal land management. 57% in California. As well, it obviously doesn’t help that Democrat governors constantly blame climate change exclusively and have ignored forest Mismanagement As a problem for years (in large part as a reaction to republicans blaming it solely), paying only lip service to it. Thankfully, at least their actions seem to be changing there.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08...s-agree-to-thin-millions-of-acres-of-forests/

The above is overdue and good news, but the federal government also needs to commit more resources to this. And considering the shameful proposed budget cuts for the USFS last year, I’m not optimistic that it shall happen.

https://missoulacurrent.com/outdoors/2019/05/forest-service-wildfire/

- - - Updated - - -

In B.C. it’s only 40% human caused, but we have such huge areas of non-populated forest, that’s probably why.

- - - Updated - - -

BC had over 2.5 million hectares burn between 2017-2018 forest fire seasons.

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Never been to that part of Mexico but I'd imagine there isn't much to burn down in Baja. Not sure how much Canada does in terms of maintaining forests but something tells me there aren't as many retards starting fires for various reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

That high? I was going to say 50% perhaps, with lightning taking the biggest single cause.
yep, it’s not always intentional though. here a lot of population is near areas that are susceptible to fire which is why western and northern Rockies states have crazy transport laws for big trucks

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Because the west coast is so sparsely populated through such massive areas (my province far more so than Cali, Oregon, Washington), a lot of blazes are begun by lightning strikes in the bush and by the time the fire is detected it can be raging out of control. Of course vast majority of fires closer to cities are because of complete jackasses and doing things like having bonfires in the midst of fire ban season, or fireworks, or cigarette butts, etc.

A big part of the issue is climate change (man made or no is irrelevant here, even if it’s a likely mix of the two, mankind exacerbating natural climate change cycle), with rising temps and less rainfall/more drought creating better conditions for fires to quickly rage out of control. But a big problem is also forest management, which is difficult to solve due to just how massive the space in the west that is undeveloped and would need management is. It’s a massive undertaking, and from the very start is undermined by logging industry practices and lack of regulation. And this isn’t a Democrat or Republican problem, it’s a governance problem that crosses party lines, and logging companies that raked massive profits for decades should be held responsible for a large part of this forestry mismanagement. Ironically they are also bashing both state and federal government for not doing enough when decades of timber industry malfeasance alongside standard practice of putting out every fire for the last 100 years as quickly as possible has led to this current situation.

It also doesn’t help that the Trump administration lies constantly about this (so have other admins) in passing the buck onto the states, and blaming them, when the majority of forest land in the west is under federal land management. 57% in California. As well, it obviously doesn’t help that Democrat governors constantly blame climate change exclusively and have ignored forest Mismanagement As a problem for years (in large part as a reaction to republicans blaming it solely), paying only lip service to it. Thankfully, at least their actions seem to be changing there.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08...s-agree-to-thin-millions-of-acres-of-forests/

The above is overdue and good news, but the federal government also needs to commit more resources to this. And considering the shameful proposed budget cuts for the USFS last year, I’m not optimistic that it shall happen.

https://missoulacurrent.com/outdoors/2019/05/forest-service-wildfire/

- - - Updated - - -

In B.C. it’s only 40% human caused, but we have such huge areas of non-populated forest, that’s probably why.

- - - Updated - - -

BC had over 2.5 million hectares burn between 2017-2018 forest fire seasons.
yeah, I’d assume most fires in bc can probably be left to burn out before they’re anywhere close to population centers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 47)