'Murica! (109 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
U.S. Says Hong Kong’s China Autonomy Is Gone, Sowing Trade Doubt

The U.S. has certified that Hong Kong is no longer politically autonomous from China, a move that could have far-reaching consequences on the special trading status the former British colony has with the U.S., Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said.

“Hong Kong does not continue to warrant treatment under United States laws in the same manner as U.S. laws were applied to Hong Kong before July 1997,” Pompeo said in a statement. “No reasonable person can assert today that Hong Kong maintains a high degree of autonomy from China, given facts on the ground.”

The move on Wednesday was taken under the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act that President Donald Trump signed last year. It comes as China’s National People’s Congress is preparing to pass a national security law curtailing the rights and freedoms of Hong Kong citizens.

Pompeo’s decision opens the door for a range of options, from visa restrictions and asset freezes for top officials to possibly imposing tariffs on goods coming from the former colony. Other measures could include visa restrictions for Chinese Communist Party officials.

“The United States stands with the people of Hong Kong as they struggle against the CCP’s increasing denial of the autonomy that they were promised,” Pompeo said.

China has denounced U.S. criticism of its moves on Hong Kong as interference in its affairs.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-hong-kong-is-no-longer-autonomous-from-china

As if the global economy wasn't stressed enough. I feel so bad for the people of Hong Kong, they either have to flee or deal with life even moreso under the Chinese government now.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Now he's threatening to issue an executive order that will limit protections for social media companies. I don't understand how that would help him. Would it then not force the removal of things such as conspiracy theories that come just short of deifying him to prevent it from escalating into another "pizzagate"?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Now he's threatening to issue an executive order that will limit protections for social media companies. I don't understand how that would help him. Would it then not force the removal of things such as conspiracy theories that come just short of deifying him to prevent it from escalating into another "pizzagate"?
he’s just mad cause Jack put a check mark on his bullshit, now he wanna be chinese.

same thing with mail in voting, best idea ever. but trump don’t likey.

one of the few things I think Utah government does well. it’s so nice to get your ballot a few weeks before the election, have time to do research, then mail in or drop off at your convenience

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
he’s just mad cause Jack put a check mark on his bullshit, now he wanna be chinese.

same thing with mail in voting, best idea ever. but trump don’t likey.

one of the few things I think Utah government does well. it’s so nice to get your ballot a few weeks before the election, have time to do research, then mail in or drop off at your convenience
Presumably those protections can be removed through normal legislative means though, but I just don't see how it would benefit him. I know it's a retaliation thing, but he is where he is right now in no small part due to Twitter's existence as it is.

Forget mail-in, we should really modernize it and have online voting. But I wouldn't even begin to trust the dinosaurs in charge to successfully implement something that big and important. Florida can barely handle elections as they are now.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Trump shared a video in which a person said the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.

Don't worry Trumptards, the feeling is mutual.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump shared a video in which a person said the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat.

Don't worry Trumptards, the feeling is mutual. And guess what, since most Republicans are boomers or old farts, the opposite is far more likely.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's probably meaningless, since that law can only be amended by Congress. It's just a distraction from the 100k COVID-19 death toll.
big baby is just being big baby to distract us from the dead people and the high cases emerging in the south after "soft openings"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 92)