'Murica! (119 Viewers)

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
You guys know it's not 70% on the total income, right? Not asking in a mocking way.
I heard an interview on CNN a few years ago where a guy was saying he actively tries to keep his income below a certain level in order not to jump to the higher bracket. He basically deprived himself of extra money because he had no idea how marginal tax rates work.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Don't the super rich in the US already benefit from loopholes and tax breaks? They should be paying more in taxes.

They use people. People who pay taxes. All rich people who earned their money did so with the help of consumers. It's not literally about how many roads you drive on, it's about paying back what society gave you. The society gave you money for your product and service, so you give back to society. And because society gave more and continues to give more to the wealthy, they should give back more.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Don't the super rich in the US already benefit from loopholes and tax breaks? They should be paying more in taxes.

They use people. People who pay taxes. All rich people who earned their money did so with the help of consumers. It's not literally about how many roads you drive on, it's about paying back what society gave you. The society gave you money for your product and service, so you give back to society. And because society gave more and continues to give more to the wealthy, they should give back more.
If your German gf Rosa Luxemburg? Being rich you already pay back unproportionally much. The poor should be less embarrassing and try a bit harder at life

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
If your German gf Rosa Luxemburg? Being rich you already pay back unproportionally much. The poor should be less embarrassing and try a bit harder at life
Effective tax rate for many rich people is already less than mine. Romney's was 14% for instance while I pay ~21%, and I live in a state with no state tax. Warren Buffett has said many times that his tax rate is less than that of his secretary. Rich people definitely pay more dollars in taxes, but calling it disproportionately high as you said is bullshit.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
The rich pay proportionally more because they use more state funded services.

It's all also in their best interest to keep the plebs happy and educated so they can giving them money.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

:agree:

And corporations avoiding taxes on top of that.

- - - Updated - - -

I heard an interview on CNN a few years ago where a guy was saying he actively tries to keep his income below a certain level in order not to jump to the higher bracket. He basically deprived himself of extra money because he had no idea how marginal tax rates work.
People love to have opinions on things.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
You'd be surprised how many people don't.
An astonishing number of people have no idea what a marginal tax rate is.

- - - Updated - - -

I know some people with PhD's who believe the same thing.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Agreed but then this must be your first priority angle of attack to begin with - google, amazon etc
Throwing around headspinning numbers won't fix this issue
I agree that should be dealt with first, though both must be dealt with. The top rate right now is 37% on income over $500,000 for single filers, I don't see that as extremely unreasonable.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
The rich pay proportionally more because they use more state funded services.

It's all also in their best interest to keep the plebs happy and educated so they can giving them money.

Nonsense, the poor use more of the government services and resources than the rich, be it housing, healthcare, education or Justice system, it's really astounding how pervasive this commie programmed contempt for the rich is.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Nonsense, the poor use more of the government services and resources than the rich, be it housing, healthcare, education or Justice system, it's really astounding how pervasive this commie programmed contempt for the rich is.
The rich also use more government infrastructure (think roads, their companies may have trucks and other vehicles). Their goods move on roads built and maintained by society.

The rich also travel more and internationally. That means they're going to use the TSA, FAA, Air Traffic Controllers (probably FAA), the State Department, the US Embassy, the SEC (or Treasury, not sure who governs currency exchanges), and host of other governmental services and regulations that that go along with inspecting airline companies and regulating them - that someone who does not engage in international travel would use.

Or for instance, a hedge fund manager needs the Securities and Exchange commision to protect them more than a factory worker. There are multiple examples like this where the rich use more government resources.

Housing? the 5 million households in America making more than $200,000 a year get a lot more housing aid than the 20 million households living on less than $20,000. It's not even close. https://www.cbpp.org/research/housi...ng-is-poorly-matched-to-need?fa=view&id=4067

Don't wanna get into a debate on who uses more government services. It's just really hard to quantify tbh and it'd be an exhausting debate.

But like I said, it's in the best interest of the super rich to keep the masses educated and heathy so they can keep purchasing goods and services. Not to mention having educated people working for them.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
The rich also use more government infrastructure (think roads, their companies may have trucks and other vehicles). Their goods move on roads built and maintained by society.

The rich also travel more and internationally. That means they're going to use the TSA, FAA, Air Traffic Controllers (probably FAA), the State Department, the US Embassy, the SEC (or Treasury, not sure who governs currency exchanges), and host of other governmental services and regulations that that go along with inspecting airline companies and regulating them - that someone who does not engage in international travel would use.

Or for instance, a hedge fund manager needs the Securities and Exchange commision to protect them more than a factory worker. There are multiple examples like this where the rich use more government resources.

Housing? the 5 million households in America making more than $200,000 a year get a lot more housing aid than the 20 million households living on less than $20,000. It's not even close. https://www.cbpp.org/research/housing/chart-book-federal-housing-spending-is-poorly-matched-to-need?fa=view&id=4067

Don't wanna get into a debate on who uses more government services. It's just really hard to quantify tbh and it'd be an exhausting debate.

But like I said, it's in the best interest of the super rich to keep the masses educated and heathy so they can keep purchasing goods and services. Not to mention having educated people working for them.
Lol no it won't, for the very simple reason that you don't take into account additional taxes besides income tax, seriously i can't imagine someone arguing that the rich use up more of the state's resources. Even more comical is the example of housing you bring up which is expressed in get this tax and interest deduction lol what they ought to show is govt programs where people get free money, yes free money. They get some 10-15k off the bat even with horrendous credit, not to mention lower interest. Not even gonna delve into section 8 and other subsidised living for the poor.

Also your example of traveling more is cute :D once again additional taxes and two how dwarfed that is by subsidised public transport and other services.

As for who needs who, it's the other way around, don't confuse the rich with the government it is the system that needs people not to rise up, the rich can just pack up and go. Additionally, people flock to America not because it offers the most handouts but opportunity, and that's what this commie hag and her comrades want to kill off.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Lol no it won't, for the very simple reason that you don't take into account additional taxes besides income tax, seriously i can't imagine someone arguing that the rich use up more of the state's resources. Even more comical is the example of housing you bring up which is expressed in get this tax and interest deduction lol what they ought to show is govt programs where people get free money, yes free money. They get some 10-15k off the bat even with horrendous credit, not to mention lower interest. Not even gonna delve into section 8 and other subsidised living for the poor.

Also your example of traveling more is cute :D once again additional taxes and two how dwarfed that is by subsidised public transport and other services.

As for who needs who, it's the other way around, don't confuse the rich with the government it is the system that needs people not to rise up, the rich can just pack up and go. Additionally, people flock to America not because it offers the most handouts but opportunity, and that's what this commie hag and her comrades want to kill off.
No, they can't. For the simple reason that, at the very least, the rich need a state system that defends their intrests. If there is no criminal justice system, nothing prevents people from simply taking money from the rich. And you could say the rich could defend themselves by buying mercenaries, but it just wouldn't work forever.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
No, they can't. For the simple reason that, at the very least, the rich need a state system that defends their intrests. If there is no criminal justice system, nothing prevents people from simply taking money from the rich. And you could say the rich could defend themselves by buying mercenaries, but it just wouldn't work forever.
I never said no taxes at all, if you were to sum up my point, it would simply be don't put the burdens of failed policies on successful people, especially if it means giving more money to the idiots who got you there in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 109)