'Murica! (55 Viewers)

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
Their own goals is profit and nothing else. It's up to the reader / viewer to dissect and process anything they say instead of just cry foul automatically. For example most segments in CNN are complete jokes, theater basically, but they have few decent programs worth watching and getting something worthwhile of.

What do you read/watch for news?

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Sure, but there was a time when I regarded some of these more prestigious news outlets above this mudslinging. They seemed to at least try to maintain a level of professionalism; And to keep a reasonable distance from the farcical standards of the less reliable ones. Like the ones I mentioned above and some other. But it's all lost now. It's turned into a total circus.
And it goes beyond this election. It just brought it into the spotlight. On every single issue they first and foremost are pushing for their hidden agenda, and informing people is less ans less important to them. Actually it seems like their goal has changed into misinforming them.
As to, what i do watch/read, I try to check both sides and form my own opinion. But it's becoming more and more difficult to keep track of the truth in the midst of all this bullsh!t they're all spewing.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ok you've repeated enough times, where did a news TV network tell people not to vote for Trump?
A TV network I don't know. I don't watch American TV news. I'm also assuming CNN isn't telling people not to vote for him, because it would lose them credibility.

I'm just saying this off the top of my head, but USA Today for example said not to vote for Trump.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
A TV network I don't know. I don't watch American TV news. I'm also assuming CNN isn't telling people not to vote for him, because it would lose them credibility.

I'm just saying this off the top of my head, but USA Today for example said not to vote for Trump.
It's very common for newspapers to endorse one candidate or the other, Trump too has newspapers endorsing him though it's mostly sewer rags

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's very common for newspapers to endorse one candidate or the other, Trump too has newspapers endorsing him though it's mostly sewer rags
Yeah, I know it is in the US. I don't entirely agree with it, but I guess I understand.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
@Seven, just theoretically speaking, could there be any candidate so bad that you'd have no problems with media outlets asking people not to vote for them?

Oh yeah, I kinda agree with you in principal in that entire organisations preferably shouldn't endorse any candidate (I have absolutely no problem with individual journalists or editors though, I think it's very healthy to know where there coming from even)

- - - Updated - - -

Their own goals is profit and nothing else. It's up to the reader / viewer to dissect and process anything they say instead of just cry foul automatically. For example most segments in CNN are complete jokes, theater basically, but they have few decent programs worth watching and getting something worthwhile of.

What do you read/watch for news?

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Very true.

But if you look at the sources that are preferred by many of those denouncing mainstream media, they'd be a lot better informed simply watching CNN & all that other BS.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
@Seven, just theoretically speaking, could there be any candidate so bad that you'd have no problems with media outlets asking people not to vote for them?

Oh yeah, I kinda agree with you in principal in that entire organisations preferably shouldn't endorse any candidate (I have absolutely no problem with individual journalists or editors though, I think it's very healthy to know where there coming from even)
Hmm.. If we are speaking strictly theoretically, no, I don't think there can be. I expect the media to inform people of the facts and I trust people to make their choices based on those facts. That's how democracy works. Realistically though some people do need a guiding hand. In that sense I understand that there are media who speak out against Trump.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Here, in case you guys don't get to experience it firsthand like I do...

I don't get this one :D

- - - Updated - - -

Many Americans really believe so. I think it's one big contributor to Trump's popularity and success, that for some reason that I can never understand many Americans believe Obama has been one of the worst presidents of this country, to the point that someone (be it Bernie or Trump) needs to come to rescue. I can't wrap my head around it.
I really don't believe that many of Sanders' supporters think that. Such an extreme form of Obama hate is a delusion of the extreme right spectrum only as far as I've seen.

I mean some of them might think extremely little of Obama, but they wouldn't hold guys like Bush or Clinton in any higher regard.

Not to mention that Bernie himself expressed his respect for Obama at numerous occasions.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm.. If we are speaking strictly theoretically, no, I don't think there can be. I expect the media to inform people of the facts and I trust people to make their choices based on those facts. That's how democracy works. Realistically though some people do need a guiding hand. In that sense I understand that there are media who speak out against Trump.
:tup: I can respect that.

What do you think about individual journalists speaking out against a candidate though? Suppose a newspaper columnists, or one of the anchors in the US with their personal shows?

I think as along as it's made clear to be their own opinion, there'd be nothing wrong with that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
:tup: I can respect that.

What do you think about individual journalists speaking out against a candidate though? Suppose a newspaper columnists, or one of the anchors in the US with their personal shows?

I think as along as it's made clear to be their own opinion, there'd be nothing wrong with that.
That's going to be the defining factor. Everyone has an opinion, it would be unnatural not to have one.

Btw, for what it's worth: I think Trump is helped by media outlets attacking him.

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
Two things:

1- Newspapers are not what they used to be anymore. The printed versions are going extinct. And their online version is their main representatives. This new format is not a mere written format, it includes videos, audios, user comments, live updates, everything. On the other side, TV channels are no different either, so the online version of CNN is as popular, if not more than its broadcast version. So the lines are totally blurring. And they all are more like multimedia news outlets than simple news papers or TV channels. So The New York Times, the Washington post, USA Today, or others, endorsing a candidate today is not the same as it used to be 20 years ago. And these journalists know this better than any of us, so they going forward and doing it anyways makes it even worse.
So to those saying its common for newspapers to endorse a candidate, I say, bullshit.

Also, since when is releasing an editorial piece, telling people not to vote for Trump, the same as endorsing Clinton?

2- Seriously, fvck Trump for all I care. But the other day the guy said on the second debate that he'd appoint a special prosecutor for the email probe, and when Clinton said "good thing you're not in charge in this country", he said, "because you'd be in jail." Meaning, she is lying and shouldn't get away with it, like the cover up going on right now.
But then on CNN and elsewhere they twisted his words as saying, he promised he'd put Clinton in jail if he becomes the president. And then aired some roundtable with Blitzer et al and liken him to Hitler and Stalin who put their opponents in jail.
How's that for twisting words? and isn't this blatantly implying people should not vote for him?

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Two things:

1- Newspapers are not what they used to be anymore. The printed versions are going extinct. And their online version is their main representatives. This new format is not a mere written format, it includes videos, audios, user comments, live updates, everything. On the other side, TV channels are no different either, so the online version of CNN is as popular, if not more than its broadcast version. So the lines are totally blurring. And they all are more like multimedia news outlets than simple news papers or TV channels. So The New York Times, the Washington post, USA Today, or others, endorsing a candidate today is not the same as it used to be 20 years ago. And these journalists know this better than any of us, so they going forward and doing it anyways makes it even worse.
So to those saying its common for newspapers to endorse a candidate, I say, bullshit.

Also, since when is releasing an editorial piece, telling people not to vote for Trump, the same as endorsing Clinton?

2- Seriously, fvck Trump for all I care. But the other day the guy said on the second debate that he'd appoint a special prosecutor for the email probe, and when Clinton said "good thing you're not in charge in this country", he said, "because you'd be in jail." Meaning, she is lying and shouldn't get away with it, like the cover up going on right now.
But then on CNN and elsewhere they twisted his words as saying, he promised he'd put Clinton in jail if he becomes the president. And then air some roundtable with Blitzer et al and liken him to Hitler and Stalin who put their opponents in jail.
How's that for twisting words? and isn't this blatantly implying people should not vote for him?
That's exactly what his core base wants. Motivated by hate, more than anything else.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The guy's a dolt. Always has been, always will.

Two things:

So to those saying its common for newspapers to endorse a candidate, I say, bull$#@!.

But then on CNN and elsewhere they twisted his words as saying, he promised he'd put Clinton in jail if he becomes the president. And then aired some roundtable with Blitzer et al and liken him to Hitler and Stalin who put their opponents in jail.
:tup:

NBC, CNN, et cetera are all Democratic party talking heads, just like Fox News for the other side. They profit from commercials and pushing agendas guided by the party. The only real journalism is outside of the major networks or papers. Even the polls are skewed by surveying more Democrats than Republicans, so it's all a farce. If we are debating this now, it only shows how much folks are out of the loop.

- - - Updated - - -

If you got any real informative substance from Trump's debate you need to rethink what you consider "intellectual" or facts.....if you think Trump isn't the "elite" just cause he is in NY and not D.C. then I don't know if anyone can help you.
Which members of the "elite" support Trump? What support has he received from Wall Street?

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
The guy's a dolt. Always has been, always will.

:tup:

NBC, CNN, et cetera are all Democratic party talking heads, just like Fox News for the other side. They profit from commercials and pushing agendas guided by the party. The only real journalism is outside of the major networks or papers. Even the polls are skewed by surveying more Democrats than Republicans, so it's all a farce. If we are debating this now, it only shows how much folks are out of the loop.

- - - Updated - - -

Which members of the "elite" support Trump? What support has he received from Wall Street?
Nate Silver addressed the unskewing of polls pretty well on his website.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-polls-arent-skewed-trump-really-is-losing-badly/

Elites not supporting Trump? What about Sheldon Adelson, Peter Thiel, Carl Icahn etc.
A more comprehensive list
http://fortune.com/2016/08/03/trump-billionaire-backers-list/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 44)