'Murica! (149 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Also, why is China against Pelosi's visit in Taiwan?
because they don’t recognize Taiwan as a sovereign state, which they are.
thanks, apparently only 13-14 countries do.

US has an embassy there but they call it something else, some sort of loophole.

pelosi going there is just a way of recognizing the place I suppose and China likes to get butthurt about everything. @j0ker see what they did when Morey tweeted in favor of Hong Kong for example. They stopped showing Houston Rockets game on tv.
All of this is such a sham though. The Hill captured this best yesterday:
https://thehill.com/opinion/interna...reason-xi-is-upset-over-pelosis-taiwan-visit/

China acts like the stalker ex-boyfriend of Taiwan, but the fact is it never dated it in the first place. China had sh*t all interest in Taiwan up until Taiwan established one of the world's model democracies with Han Chinese at the helm, basically mocking Xi's iron-fisted rule to keep the barbarians off the gates while claiming there is simply no other way.

Taiwan is cognitive dissonance for the Chinese. It's evidence that you can have a good life and live out of the dictatorship of the CCP, and the CCP is threatened as all hell by their very existence.

I still remember when I first flew into Beijing over 20 years ago with a Taiwanese coworker, and instead of asking for her passport they asked for her "papers to return home". Such pompous b.s.

The US droned al-Zawahiri. He was arguably more important for 9/11’s planning and execution than Bin Laden.
Well Biden did learn from the best: America's Drone President.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
https://thehill.com/opinion/interna...reason-xi-is-upset-over-pelosis-taiwan-visit/

China acts like the stalker ex-boyfriend of Taiwan, but the fact is it never dated it in the first place. China had sh*t all interest in Taiwan up until Taiwan established one of the world's model democracies with Han Chinese at the helm, basically mocking Xi's iron-fisted rule to keep the barbarians off the gates while claiming there is simply no other way.

Taiwan is cognitive dissonance for the Chinese. It's evidence that you can have a good life and live out of the dictatorship of the CCP, and the CCP is threatened as all hell by their very existence.

I still remember when I first flew into Beijing over 20 years ago with a Taiwanese coworker, and instead of asking for her passport they asked for her "papers to return home". Such pompous b.s.

Sounds oddly familiar to current 'special operation'....

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

I thought Taiwan was strategically placed for control over trade in the area or something

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Kansas, which has voted Republican in every Presidential election since 1968 and 44.14% of which is Republican, has rejected a measure to remove abortion protections from their state constitution. Roughly 61% against it with almost 80% of the voted counted, so almost completely along party lines it seems. Democrats will probably lean heavily into this during the general election to get the moderate votes I would imagine, seems like a big misstep from Republicans to go so hard on this.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Kansas, which has voted Republican in every Presidential election since 1968 and 44.14% of which is Republican, has rejected a measure to remove abortion protections from their state constitution. Roughly 61% against it with almost 80% of the voted counted, so almost completely along party lines it seems. Democrats will probably lean heavily into this during the general election to get the moderate votes I would imagine, seems like a big misstep from Republicans to go so hard on this.
Will the Democrats show up to vote though? Isn't that always an issue?

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Geographically it sits at the midpoint of the "First Island Chain" along with Japan and the Philippines, making it strategically critical to the US as a means to contain China's naval capabilities and restricting its maritime trade routes in the pacific.
China are already pushing their weight in the pacific near Australia. Solomon Islands first, who knows which country next…getting closer and closer to us.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
If China moved on Taiwan it would be suicide. It would send them back decades and result in the deaths of millions of Chinese. They would be stupid to do it. But their leadership keeps making mistakes so who knows.

My guess is they will only make a move once it becomes obvious to people in China that their economy is in structural decline and the CCP looks for a new source of legitimacy.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
San Fran needs to have the army patrolling there 24/7, this is fucked up. And it keeps happpening a lot to senior Asians.

https://abc7news.com/asian-woman-be...d-head-san-francisco-senior-attacks/12091867/
Dion Lim is ABC7's literal Asian beat-down beat reporter.

I have a hard time believing that a bunch of kids preying on old ladies has some anti-Asian agenda though. Asians probably make up the great majority of older people in San Francisco. It's inhospitable for retirees of any kind of color. Elderly whites either live in neighborhoods where there are no kids or businesses (like Nancy Pelosi's hood) or have fled the expensive city for the suburbs.

Asian families typically have their elderly rooted there under rent control in mixed residential areas with a lot of public transport, rental housing, and cheap businesses that attract poorer young people. So if you have more crime on the weak, committed by young people, it's going to be elderly Asians. And since whites make up 45% of the population and Asians 34%, you're going to get a lot more elderly crime against Asians.

Which is why I used to joke that 98% of the crime in Beijing is anti-Asian, because it always seems to impact Asians there.

If China moved on Taiwan it would be suicide. It would send them back decades and result in the deaths of millions of Chinese. They would be stupid to do it. But their leadership keeps making mistakes so who knows.

My guess is they will only make a move once it becomes obvious to people in China that their economy is in structural decline and the CCP looks for a new source of legitimacy.
Over the years I've come to realize that China's whining about Taiwan is more fake and groundless than I ever guessed. It would be like the USA beefing about reclaiming its historical birthright to the Philippines.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
They’re staging large military exercises near and around Taiwan from tomorrow, notably some areas will be within Taiwan’s territorial waters and looking at the map they seem to be strategically placed around the island’s major ports. Looks like a practice run for any potential invasion/blockade. Also doing some missile tests that appear to be within Taiwan’s air defence zone/the strait. Economic/diplomatic responses TBC.
meh

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Not to mention Kansas legislature has an overwhelming Republican super majority (29 to 11 in the senate and 86 to 39 in the house). If state legislature were to decide on this matter it would’ve made a very unpopular decision with the public.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 147)