Mozilla Firefox or Opera, choose your browser. (2 Viewers)

I use...

• I'm awesome like icεmαή, Sheik and V so I use Opera

• I'm a geek like Martin and JCK so I use Mozilla Firefox

• I like following trends, so I use Chrome

• I suck. So I use IE.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I hate to spoil your fun Martin, but I've found another irregularity with the Forums in Netscape 7.1.

It has to do with pictures that are wider than the screen. Instead of just scrolling horizontaly to see it Netscape cuts the rest of the picture off.

Screenshot from IE 6:

SilvLightning

Sep 1, 2002
++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++
I dont know if this is a problem, or if its just me :undecide:

Screenshot from Netscape Navigator 7.1
No, it happens to me also. I too use Netscape Navigator 7.1.
But the thing is that it doesn't happen always.:undecide:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Simply put, netscape just sux. Sure, I want to support the underdog company fighting against the evil corporate empire, but netscape just doesn't render pages properly :down:

Thanks for the info Martin, maybe I'll give Mozilla a go. I used it way back when I was trying out Linux, but I think Windows and IE is too built into my (mental) system now...maybe I'll give it a go, and if the transition is as seamless as u say, I really hope all those IE annoyances are put behind me

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Hey, I'm liking Mozilla already! Usually, when I try to post, and i get the "60 seconds" message, I have to write the whole thing out again (If i forget to copy the message to clipboard along the way, which i do very regularly), but in Mozilla, it keeps what was in the fields! I know you can enable this in internet explorer, but it actually requires customisation on my part, which is just an annoyance. Hurrah for Mozilla!

Jul 12, 2002
Martin, you are my saviour. I have always hated IE, for many reasons, so I've been using Opera for a long time, but Opera is not as good. It is very slow, it has bad features, and keyboard commands are so laboured. Mozilla is much better. It has good keyboard commands, good feature, it looks good, and it is easier to use. I love the text size feature and the pop-up blocker is very good. Thanks very much for hte recommendation, if you have any others for good programs, I for one would love to hear them.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #30
    I'm glad a few people have found it helpful :)

Ian, I never quite could get used to Opera myself. Not enough to make a permanent transition anyway.

Speaking of other software, it's not as easy. Mozilla is a glearing example because it's miles ahead of IE, other cases are much more even, it's harder to argument for those. I would especially take Trillian vs the msn client (another glearing case) but m$ announced they are shutting out any 3rd party clients so unless that resolves itself, it doesn't make much sense.

But put it like this: what other software do you hate? ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    The blue screen of death! Okay, not software, and I guess they did a good job getting rid of BSOD's in windows xp, but I just hate the unwritten law of windows that the functionality of a windows installation decreases to the point of uselessness after a certain period of time, after which a format is required.

Sure, there's tweaks and maintenace jobs u can do on ur comp, but sooner or later it has to be done. I've been on this windows installation for about 2 years now, and I'm considering a reformat, even if it's just for a psychological sense of speed.

Jul 12, 2002
    I'm glad a few people have found it helpful :)

Ian, I never quite could get used to Opera myself. Not enough to make a permanent transition anyway.

Speaking of other software, it's not as easy. Mozilla is a glearing example because it's miles ahead of IE, other cases are much more even, it's harder to argument for those. I would especially take Trillian vs the msn client (another glearing case) but m$ announced they are shutting out any 3rd party clients so unless that resolves itself, it doesn't make much sense.

Oh, yes, I love Trillian it is a great program, never had a problem with it and it makes things so easy for me.

Other software that I hate...hm....I hate my peer to peer program Kazaa it is so slow and hard to use. I tried WinMX and it's even worse...Any suggestions there?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #33

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Regular Kazaa sucks, it's packed with ads and installs spyware. There is an alternative however, Kazaa Lite: http://www.kazaalitekpp.com/

Another one, which isn't on the Fasttrack network, is Emule, which runs on the edonkey network: http://www.emule-project.net/

For scanning and removal of spyware I recommend Spybot: http://security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en
    Thanks :thumb: I deleted Kazaa because it installed all this spyware on my comp. Is anyone :scared: of the RIAA crackdown on pirate file sharers?

maxmc

Jul 27, 2002
    another possibility is mldonkey...
    it's amazing - u have so many networks in one app... - edonkey - kazaa - gnuuutella - bittorrent - soulseek - openft - opennap
    it runs in the background... it has a browser-interface and u just have to enter a link to access it.... but if u don't like the browser-interface there are also some "normal" graphical interfaces around...

http://mldonkey.org/ - check it out.....

ps.: i don't know how it runs with windows, but on my mac it's really gr8....
    (a friend told me once that it's difficult to start on windows, but that the rest works just fine..)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Question for you Martin: sometimes my IE freezes for a minute/half a minute, and then starts up again. It happens quite often.

Will this be fixed with Mozilla, or is IE not the problem?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #37
    Is it just IE that freezes or the whole system? If it's just IE then getting rid of it very well could be a solution to the problem. But I'm assuming your system is a little dated, it's less likely for this to happen on a really speedy system unless it's bogged down by unnecessary services/viruses. So going by that assumption, you might want to go for Mozilla Firebird or Opera, rather than Mozilla, just to optimize the performance cause Mozilla is bigger than IE, more efficient perhaps but still bigger.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Is it just IE that freezes or the whole system? If it's just IE then getting rid of it very well could be a solution to the problem. But I'm assuming your system is a little dated, it's less likely for this to happen on a really speedy system unless it's bogged down by unnecessary services/viruses. So going by that assumption, you might want to go for Mozilla Firebird or Opera, rather than Mozilla, just to optimize the performance cause Mozilla is bigger than IE, more efficient perhaps but still bigger.
    It's definetely just IE, and the program doesn't really freeze, it just... won't load anything.
    It didn't happen before, now it's starting to happen more and more... :down:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)